Thread: Swan Wood - RPG
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2004, 12:40 PM   #212
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"I bet you couldn't climb up there"
"I bet I wouldn't want to climb up there!" Elena said, putting her nose in the air, but smiling at Fiona.
"Humph. You just don't want to mess your hair up" Fiona said grumpily.
"I bet you couldn't swim the whole way across that pond in the village" Elena returned.
"Bet I could. I'll show you when..." Fiona trailed off. "When we go back home"
Elena swallowed. "You can try" she said, trying to sound normal.
The two girls stood silently for a minute.
"We will be going back, won't we?" Elena asked in a small voice.
"I-"
Fiona was cut off by shouts from the direction of the inhabited caves. She ran to see what was happening, and Elena followed. By the cave mouth soldiers and servants were crowding around horses and... people.

"Stefan!" Fiona shouted excitedly, waving to a tall boy. "Elena, it's people from the village! They've come! Stefan, have you seen my Mama and Papa and Hurin and Aragorn?"
"Don't shout" a maid said bossily, and Fiona stuck her tongue out while still beckoning wildly to Stefan. The boy walked over slowly, holding the hand of a little girl.
"Fiona-" he began wearily, then licked his lips.
"Do you want a drink?" Elena asked quietly, and he nodded. "You should sit down" she added, glancing at Fiona.

Elena walked over to the buckets of water. Most had been surrounded by newcomers, but luckily there were plenty. She filled two dippers.
"I could eb looking for them myself by now" Fiona whispered grumpily, coming up behind Elena.
Elena ignored her and took the dippers to where Stefan and the girl were sitting in a far corner of the cave, which was slowly beginning to fill with people.
After they had drunk, Fiona looked expectantly at Stefan.

"Your Papa and Hurin went to fight the wildmen" he began, then smiled. "They said Aragorn was too young but he went after them in the night anyway." His smiled drooped. "They brought Hurin back, he got hit by an arrow. He ought to be well though, soon. They must be bringing him along, but the horses with the wounded have to go slower. I'm sorry, I haven't seen your Mama."

Fiona gulped. Elena could see her eyes were wet.
"She's probably hiding somewhere," she said brightly. "probably in the woods! I mean, we are well but your family and my Papa were probably worried about us. There must be people all over the place!"
Elena was suddenly aware of the little girl's eyes fixed on her. She licked her lips nervously.
"All over the place" she repeated.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link