View Single Post
Old 11-23-2003, 10:06 PM   #205
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

Elena

"They'll all be alright" Elena said quietly, half to herself. She thought it had perhaps been the hundredth time that day she had said it, or Fiona had said it. Elena hoped that if they said it enough it would be true and her Papa and Fiona's family would be well.

Really she felt a weight in her middle, a sort of knot of fear which tried to tell her that they wouldn't be alright. From snatches of conversation she had overheard from men who came in to talk she knew that men from the village were fighting the bandits- Fiona had looked proud at that, her Papa fighting, but Elena was scared- and a lot of the village was destroyed and people were probably killed. When they saw that little girls the men didn't talk about such things, but Elena thought it might be true anyway. They WILL be well, she told herself silently. It did help.

The people from the Swan House were also at the caves with them, although not the nice lady. Annunfuin had visited them and talked to Fiona for hours. Elena liked him, but he was a bit scary and fierce. he seemed very glad to see that they were alright, and told them that the people in the house had been worried when they left. Elena was quite proud that she didn't start crying from guilt.

One of the maids liked to brush and wash Elena's hair, and Elena liked her to do it but she didn't want Fiona to think that she had gone completely back to the old Elena so she was trying really hard not to start crying. It was really hard though.

"They will be alright" she said out loud again, fiercely, and Fiona took her hand.

~*~*~*

Taralphiel welcomed the new day slowly. She stood by the cliffs edge and watched the sea. She wondered at how she had fit into daily rituals and traditions in such a way. She would never have thought herself that sort of person. At least not until she had her first great adventure...

'I can tell you are remembering' came a slow voice from behind

'You could always tell what I was doing Rudhchamion! It irked me sometimes, but for the most part I was grateful' she smiled at him, before pausing for a moment.

'Do you ever think of them, Dark Elf? Of our companions?'

He didnt say a word, simply stood by her and listened.

'I miss Lady Anarya, and Khelek. You three were the first real companions I had ever had. It sounds very foolish to say, but it is true'

'You didnt need companions Lady. You would have gone to Dol Goldur and back without us, such is your stubborn nature'

'Is that a fact? No, I would have been no better off than Eriador if I had not fallen into your way all those years ago. And look what it has brought me? A world of joy, and sorrow'

Taralphiel turned to Rudhchamion 'I know you can see into the hearts of Men and their simple desires. What do you believe my granddaughter will do?'

Rudhchamion did not face her, but said 'I believe you know what she will do. I believe she will fight and win. Win, or die'

At that moment, a messenger ran in hastily and mumbled a message to Taralphiel which spread a grin on her tired face.

'Annunfuin has found the children, and they are safe. And as I expected, he is heading in to assist Laurel'

Rudhchamion showed something close to a smile and said 'All seems to be looking a lot less grim'

~*~

Laurel moved forward through the town square, past the Rohirrim and all the Villagers and soldiers remaining. The meeting had been called here, to decide what was to be the last stand of Alphirion.

'I thank you all for attending. I am here to ask of you your opinions. Our situation is bleak. We have been weakened, and the Village has been decamated.'

'But I will not give up. I propose a last stand. I propose a final offensive! We have a small army, and I believe we are capable of taking the armies of the Wild Men by surprise!'

Murmuring went through the Villagers and the army alike. But Laurel soundly continued.

'I ask you now for aid. I ask you to offer your strength now, for this last stand. Villagers, you must evactuate, and move to the caves prepared. But I ask all who wish to fight for the last time to offer their arms'...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:03 AM December 29, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]