View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 06:43 PM   #115
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Now that they had managed to destroy one of the chains, those remaining snapped apart more easily, with the boulder cleanly severing the links and then bounding harmlessly away. Peachblossom's relief was evident as she spoke her formal words of thanks, "Your efforts are most welcome. I am deeply in your debt."

She gazed down at the poultices that had been so gently wrapped around her limbs and smiled wanly at her rescuers. Her eyes seemed soft and distant. "It has been so long since anyone other than my sisters has touched me with kindness. I can not remember when..."

It was Radagast who stepped forward and broke the awkward silence, extending his hand in friendship, and going on to voice the question that weighed on everyone's mind, "You are most welcome in our camp, Mistress Peachblossom. But I feel compelled to ask something of you. You speak of your sisters. Pray tell us where these Entwives dwell now, for it has been endless years since any news of your folk has reached our ears. Many evenings around the campfire, Gandalf and I pondered this mystery and wondered if any yet might be live. But however we inquired and searched for an answer, none was forthcoming."

Peachblossom looked crestfallen as a grimace of pain slipped across her face, "My sisters? They are many leagues from here. Far to the east. The place where we live is called a plantation. There we work day and night, toiling endlessly, to raise food for the armies of a powerful king."

"I can tell you little more than that for we are not allowed to roam freely so I know almost nothing of the people and the land, other than the cruel masters who rule over us. Ah, but yes, there is one thing... Near us is a great body of water called the Sea of Rhun which lies locked about with land on all sides."

Radagast and Mattius exchanged glances, but neither said anything. Peachblossom shook her head, "But I am not here to tell you of my sisters. I fear their plight is hopeless." She turned her face away and hung her head and then looked up with renewed determination reflected in her eyes. "No, I am here to warn you that your own people lie in danger. For my captors are raising an army. They intend to come and enslave your own cities and fields."

There were murmurs all around the campsite as those present pondered the meaning of these strange words. But before any could speak, Peachblossom recited the words she had memorized telling where the army was to march.

When she had finished, Radagast shook his head, "The marshlands to the northwest...those called the Wetwang or the Nindalf... A strange and lonely place, one where the enemy could indeed hide and then swoop down unnoticed on those who live in Minas Tirith." He shook his head and thought, wondering what could be done to warn the King and, even more, to save the Entwives dwelling near the Sea of Rhun."

It was Lingalad who cocked his head sidewise listening to the sounds of the forest and hearing noises that somehow seemed out of place for a quiet, sunny morning. He looked up suddenly, his eyes full of alarm.

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]