View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #83
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

"The only poison I'm aware of is a certain suspicious attitude, which I fear will work little harmony into our companions. Except it be in unifying against it, which would be a sad turn."

Avery looked up at him, startled. It was such a solemn thing to say, and she had expected him to be more light-hearted than that. He cocked an eyebrow, and considered her surprise.

"However, " he continued earnestly, "having noticed the side effects of the suspicion, I have been most careful to avoid drinking any of it."

Avery nearly laughed out loud.

"I would suggest that you be equally cautious, " LinGalad continued. "I do not know the dosage required for a bad case of poisoning. Please be certain you avoid it completely."

"Good idea, " Avery giggled. "I'll be careful. Quite careful."

"I am glad to hear it, " LinGalad replied with perfect seriousness. Kalir and Calentoliel looked curious, but Mattius and Endereth smiled, and Radagast smoothed his moustache.

"Which way to the forest would be the least suspicious, I wonder? Across the mountains or south of them?" LinGalad asked Avery.
"What do you think?" Then he turned to Anarya. "Can you guess which way our leaders will choose?"

Anarya gave him an odd look. "Guess? Why?"

LinGalad shot a glance at Endereth, which she did not miss. "It has to do with osanwe, or I suppose you might call it hearing thoughts. One way to practice it is to try to listen, and then see if you are right." Endereth smiled, waiting. "But then, sometimes the person you are trying to listen to knows that you are trying to listen, and then they can mislead you."

Anarya gave Endereth a startled look. "Why would she do that?"

"Why would anyone fool someone in their company? For a good joke. And since I am naive, I suppose that makes me an easy target."

Kalir chuckled. "Poor LinGalad, the naive elvish laddie."

LinGalad smiled. "Laddie? Is that your name for me?"

Kalir laughed. "You want a nickname?"

LinGalad shrugged.

"I think he does!" Anarya replied.

"Lin-Ga-lad. Lad-Ga-Lin. LadGalin?" Kalir chuckled.

Mischievously, Avery said, "Lin-Gal-Ad; LaddyGal."

A burst of laughter followed. "LaddyGal! LaddyGal? Oh, that's good, " Kalir roared.

"Oh, but you don't mean it, " Anarya said, defensively. "That's hardly... No, no."

LinGalad shot a glance at Mattias, who shrugged, chuckling; and then he studied Kalir. Kalir and Avery were pink-cheeked and gasping with laughter.

"LaddyGal... oh, my." Radagast shook his head. Calentoliel and Endereth exchanged glances. but LinGalad did not object. Mattius, with another hidden smile, suspected that the nickname just might stick.