View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #99
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

The hobbit, as always, tried to handle the situation with tact. He addressed the older hobbit first, to avoid further interrogation by the Halfling standing in front of him.
He looked overly nervous, but tried to conceal it with a pleasant smile.

“Good sir, I merely addressed you fair daughter first because I hadn’t noticed your head behind that soup bowl.” Toby swore inwardly, suddenly realizing how stupid that sounded, “If it is my name you wish to know, I can give it; Tobias Hornblower of Longbottom at your service. I have been come here from the south and only desired a little rest and sustenance before I continue my journey north in a few days. The reason I requested food of you was simply that I, most regretfully, have no money with me. I feared that the innkeeper might not accept a trade for that required food, so I thought it might be simpler to make the trade with a venerable hobbit such as you.”

He paused momentarily, hoping for a desirable response. Flattering rarely got him anywhere, but it was always worth a shot. He added one phrase for good measure.
“If you have no need of what I have to give, I will move on.”

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies