View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004, 07:38 PM   #98
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Asphodel had been nearly on the point of spooning a bit of rabbit stew into her mouth, when she found herself unexpectedly addressed by a strange gentleman Hobbit. He pleaded for food in return for some pipe-weed. "Strange indeed," thought Asphodel. "What could have possesed him to want such a trade?" She gathered her nerves and addressed him.

"I should be glad to help you, sir, if I had any way of understanding you," she said calmly. "What in Middle Earth are you about, bartering pipe leaf for food? I'm sure there are many server maids willing to assist you, if a good meal is what you desire. You'll find that the Green Dragon Inn has some of the best service in all the Shire. Are you new to the Shire?"

"What's going on over there, Asphodel?" came Halfred's voice from behind the large soup basin. He stood up walked over to her side of the table. A white napkin was tucked like bib in the colar of his shirt, which he seemed to have forgotten momentarily.

"And who in the name of the Shire are you?" said Halfred to the gentlemen Hobbit, giving him an icy glare. "Why are you bothering my daughter? Did not you see that I am the head of this family, and that it is only proper to address me, and not one of my under-aged daughters?" The stranger was silent. "Address me at once, please, sir!" exclaimed Halfred.

Asphodel suddenly felt guilty for having been so nice to the stranger. Her father had also caught the attention of Hanna and Belladonna, who had stopped eating to watch the exchange.

Halfred had crossed his arms, and was tapping his foot impatiently upon the wooden floor.