View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #20
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

1) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? One, in progress.

2) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? One, Last Hope for Moria

3) Have you posted in the Green Dragon Inn or the White Horse in Rohan? Yes, The Green Dragon
~~~~~

Name: Sethe Morrigan

Race: human

Weapons: Average, unadorned sword, roughly three feet in length. A hunting bow, and a knife, possibly the most expensive thing Sethe owns, which has a horse-head as the hilt and sapphires for eyes. He usually uses it to skin animals.

Appearance: Sethe has shoulder length, dark brown hair and eyes, average skin tone for one who is from Gondor. He wears leather armor and boots, and is six feet tall, with medium build.

Personality/ Strengths/Weaknesses: Sethe is the most unnoticeable man you could find. This comes in useful, because Sethe is a thief (actually, he is technically a kleptomaniac, but those kind of words don’t really have any meaning in Middle-Earth.). He never steals anything big or important, just things that may be annoying if found missing. This by no means makes him very popular, which suits him just fine. He travels a lot, and sometimes, if he has nothing better to do, (or no other choice.) he will fight orcs. He is not very good with his weaponry, but he is very agile and quiet, and relies mostly on his mind and wit to get him out of various fixes.

History: Sethe was born and raised in Minas Tirith. His family is not noble, but not poor either, he is just about middle class, or as close to it as possible. When he was seventeen he ran away to become a member of the Navy of Dol Amroth, but went the wrong way and ran out of money and means of travel by the time he reached the Westfold. He worked in a tavern there for a while, and tried to be a Rider of Rohan, but he found he could not ride a horse. So, in a fit of annoyance, he went north and had some minor adventures in the Bree Area.

Saraphim's post

Sethe looked about him. He breathed the air of his home. Smiling, he shouldered his pack and entered the low levels of the city, looking this way and that for anyone he knew. Failing to accomplish this, he moved through the evening crowds to an old building near the center of the city. He stood looking at it, at the sign that bore the name of his family, and his heart swelled with pride. It was an inn, and, by the looks of things, one of the busiest in the city. Sethe moved inside, jostled by the occupants, who were getting drunk and boisterous over something.

Approaching the bar, He recognized a man who was arguing with a customer over the price of his bill. The man finally got fed up and punched the customer in the nose. Stepping over the unconscious customer, Sethe whacked the man on the back of the head. This succeeded in getting Sethe a black eye.

“Heron! You stupid fool!” cried Sethe, clutching his eye. “Is that how you greet your brother?”

“Only if he attacks me in the middle of workin’!” bawled Heron, who, nevertheless, wrapped Sethe up in a bear hug.

A while later, they sat at a table in the corner, and watched the drunk travelers slowly finish and move upstairs to their various rooms.

“Well, Heron, it’s quite a hole you’ve made for yourself here, isn’t it?” said Sethe, who had a raw piece of meat on his eye.

“It pays for things, and gives Hildico a good life,” replied Heron.

“Hildico? How is my little niece?” asked Sethe.

“Well, not so little anymore. You’ve been gone for seven years, you know. She is sixteen now, and one of the prettiest girls you could find.” Heron said, full of pride, “ She’s got a decent education under her belt, and works as a maid for some extra money. I’m sure she’s upstairs asleep by now, but she may be reading. I can’t get that girl to stop with those books of hers.”

“Well, do you mind if I go see if she’s awake? I have something for her, and for you too, now that I think about it,” said Sethe, pulling something out of his pack. It was a large, leather pouch stuffed full of pipe-weed.

“Sethe!” Exclaimed Heron, then, looking suspiciously around the room, became much quieter “This is halfling’s weed, isn’t it? This would cost me…” His voice trailed off and he narrowed his eyes at Sethe. “You didn’t steal this, did you?”

“Heron,” said Sethe, looking hurt, “how could you accuse me of something so vile?”

“Because you do it all the time!” said Heron, but Sethe had already slapped the meat on the table and was halfway up the stairs before Heron could accuse him further.

In the dark corridor, Sethe listened quietly to the sounds of the sleeping travelers. At the end of the hall, there was another stairway, which led to a single door. He knocked softly, and said
“Hildico! Open up, lassie!”

The door slowly opened and a young girl stood there, dressed in a nightgown. When she saw Sethe, her face froze with fear, then she recognized him.

“Uncle Sethe!” she squealed, and leapt down onto him in a happy embrace. When he pushed her off of him, she pulled him inside, to a small, tidy kitchen with several rooms leading off. A single candle burned on the table and a tiny fireplace spread warmth throughout the dwelling.

“How are you?” she exclaimed. “My, it must have been three months since you last wrote!”

“Well, I was coming back home,” said Sethe, settling himself down at the table. Hildico busied herself making him some tea. “And I didn’t want to waste much time in writing a letter that would only get here a week before me. But I have a gift.” He drew a small, shining bracelet from his breast pocket. “This is for you,” He helped her clasp it around her wrist, and she gasped as he drew his hands away.

“It’s Elven made,” Sethe said proudly. “ I had much more trouble getting it than I had with your father’s gift, but it’s worth it to see your happy face.”

“Uncle, it… it’s beautiful!” Hildico said.

“But lassie, I’m dying to know what it was you wrote to me about! I came all the way back to hear it!”

“All right,” said Hildico. “You know that I’m working as a maid, for a noble family? Well, the family I’ve been working with for some time now has a daughter, about your age, I think, who has some sort of mission she wants to go on. She’s looking for participants. Apparently, there’s gold involved, so I immediately thought of you.”

“Why thank you,” said Sethe, whose interest had perked up. “I’d like to meet this lady and see what sort of quest she has in mind.”

“I thought as much,” said Hildico, "tomorrow, come with me when I go to work, and I will introduce you.”

Sethe smiled and drank his tea.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:49 AM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]