View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Taralphiel's post

Maron heard clattering at the storefront of his smithy, where he last saw his Uncle. Grumbling heavily, he wiped his dirty brow with his workman’s glove and stepped out from behind an anvil. In one hand he still carried a smoldering length of steel, which was to be made into a long axe for a customer. Coming to himself, he quickly set it down in the water barrel. Shuffling through the room, he saw his Uncle with a great beaming smile on his face, holding an opened letter. Maron raised his eyebrows.

‘What have you got there, Uncle?’

‘Oh, a letter for you! It says you are to go back to the Great Halls and help with cleaning the place out! How wonderful! I should like to come too!’

Maron snatched the letter from his Uncle and eyed him ‘Don’t be daft Uncle. Noone’s gone back in years!’ He peered at the letter, and almost knocked a whole shelf down.

‘Bless me! They are going back! This is some thing!’ he rested his free hand on the front bench and grinned.

‘That axe I made for Balin not too long ago must have impressed him enough to consider me! I shall show them my handling is as good as my making!’

His Uncle laughed heartily at that, and it took Maron a while to get him quiet. Moving back to his workshop, he began taking down some of his finest works from their holders. Running his hands over them, he said to himself, ‘I said I would save these for when I thought my great works were to be done! Now I see my time has arrived!’ He lifted an axe and let it glint in the firelight ‘Maron Sandbrace, one of the Company to restore the Great Halls! I quite like that title!’

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:12 AM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]