View Single Post
Old 10-10-2003, 07:43 AM   #35
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kirima sat, listening to the talk of the townfolk. She heard Kandel come up beside her. On the other side of building, a voice rose above the others.
"People of Bree!"
The voice continued, telling the Breelanders of the threat. Next to her Kandel whispered 'I knew this wouldnt be good.' A similar thought had been running through Kirima's own mind. She grimaced.

Kandel peered around the edge of the building that hid them, watching the speaker.
"We've now no other option but to prepare for the coming hoard! There is no escape from this peril that threatens not only your homes, but your very way of life! They will overrun your lands, they will burn your homes, and they will slaughter your children! The only way stopping them is to fight back! We must fight against this menace!"

Kandel drew back, raising an eyebrow 'I'd hardly go that far' he smirked. Kirima froze, horrified. Slaughter the children? Children? She had not expected there to be children. This was a settlement of vicious hillmen, was it not? Realization struck her. Could this be only a village full of innocent people? She followed Kandel away from the square. They stopped when they reached a safe distance from the meeting place.

'Those Breefolk seem way to nervy for my liking' Kandel said, smiling at Kirima. He is an outlaw! How can he joke about this? She wondered. How many of his kin died? Does he feel no sorrow? Kandel grinned, about to form another joke. Kirima turned sharply, glaring at him.

"Really, Gannon! You couldn't..."
Her face went white. "I'm sorry," she whispered. Then she turned, slipping back through the hedge, and fled.
She ran toward the camp, blessing the darkness. As she neared the camp she hastily ran an arm acoss her face, brushing away tears. The camp was empty. Hearing a soft rustling of leaves, she looked up and saw a small bird in the trees above her. It chirped, seeming to mock her.
Pepin it said. Pepin, Pepin. She grabbed a small stone and threw it at the bird, causing it to fly to a higher branch, where it continued to taunt her. Kirima stood and stared at the fire, longing for her family.