View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 11:07 AM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Arestevana's post - Kirima

Kirima sat against a tree. She dragged her fingers through her tangles black hair and began to tie it into a rough braid. Even this simple activity gave her something to keep her mind off—she shied away from the thought. Tying the braid off at the end, she flipped it back over her shoulder and curled up, staring at the fire.

‘My beard will get whiter waiting for that blasted scout!’

Kirima started, but it was only Lotar again. He was pacing to and fro kicking at the ground and fuming. ‘How am I supposed to plan anything if that dolt takes his pleasant time coming back with the mapping!’ he yelled. She frowned, knowing she was much too skittish these days. These days. She stood up, grabbing a pail and starting off to find water, wishing she could forget.

It took little time to find a stream, and Kirima soon returned to camp. She filled a small pan with water from the bucket, trying not to think about the house it had come from and the devastation there. Skirting awkwardly around a man sitting at the fire, she placed the pan in the coals at the fire’s edge.

Suddenly she realized that the camp was quieter than it has been when she left. Glancing around, she saw that the scout had returned and was talking quietly to Lotar and Kandel. Turning back to the fire she threw a handful of herbs into the pot. They floated there, seeming to ask, Who are you kidding? This isn’t food. She glared at the water for a moment, and then turned and sat down against a tree again, her head in her hands, wishing it were all a dream.

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]