View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 01:16 PM   #117
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

For the first time in his life, Falowik did not care what others thought about him. Maybe it still mattered, for if the others doubted his loyalty to the group, it would be harder to work with them. But for himself it did not matter. There was one who would have given her life to save his, and her well-being was utmost in his mind. He was concerned for Lira, too. She had been brave, by all accounts, and had received a fierce head wound. Falowik was no healer, but he was determined to help them both as much as he was able, and was happy to hold the water cup for Lira to drink, and to hold the wet cloth to Uien's fevered brow. He did whatever Eswen and Lumiel asked, for they knew the most about the healing arts since Uien and Lira, the two most capable healers in their company, were unable.

Thoronmir came and knelt beside Falowik as he held a wet cloth on Uien's forehead.

"Next time we must not be separated," their leader said. "I do not ask how or why it happened this time, but I need you to help set an example for the rest. They look up to you. Stay by my side and we will hold better against the foe."

Falowik nodded. "You are right, Thoronmir. I confess that in all my years of wandering alone, I used and needed nothing but a dagger, for I stayed away from the lands of men, and trapped what game I needed for food. I need to learn the art of the sword. Will you teach me?"

Thoronmir was taken aback. "You know not the sword? Do you not think that it is overlate in our quest to ask for this?"

Falowik closed his eyes and lowered his head, then faced the Ranger. "It is true that we will have little time for lessons, and I am sorry that I did not prepare myself better for this journey. But I have never claimed to be a warrior or war leader, as you know. It seems to me that I would be of more use if I know how to use the sword better than I do."

"That is true," Thoronmir replied. "There will not be much time, but when there is, I and others among us can teach you what we may." Thoronmir looked around him at the swordswomen. "Truth be told, these shieldmaidens put me in mind of the Lady Eowyn for their prowess. You will find that there is much to be learned from them as well - as long as you are not too proud."

Falowik smiled. "You have nothing to fear from me in that regard. I am just a humble wanderer blessed with good friends and allies." He turned back to Uien and seemed on the verge of saying more, but closed his mouth. Thoronmir saw his expression soften and decided that it was high time to start ordering things about so that everybody got a hearty breakfast.