View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 10:19 PM   #58
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eye

"Hope for?" Falowik's brow furrowed and he cast about the room with his glance as though he might find the answer to her question in the rafters. He shook his head. He turned and glanced into her eyes quickly, and brought his gaze back to Thoronmir's gear on the opposite bed. Her eyes shown with delight in the new hope she had, and in the sharing of it with him. Falowik was amazed all over again that he meant so much to her! A high pitched peal of laughter broke through the general hubbub of dancing and singing down below.

"I hope - I hope always to be near you." His throat caught, and he closed his eyes tight at the strength of feeling that surged in him: he wanted to wrap his arms around her. He kept his hands folded before him. "I hope to find Eodwine alive." True as those things were, she was asking for something more. He pitched deeper within himself. He hoped for her joy to grow and grow. He hoped to be turned into an Elf! He hoped to become worthy of the love she bore in her heart for him. A fool's dreams. Vain hopes. Well, not all of them. He did not hope to discover his father. I hope that my life is worth the living, Fair One.

"I hope - I wish that there was some way to bridge the chasm between you and me, Elf and Man. But it cannot be. I am sorry, it is unkind of me to be so gloomy after the good news you've told me. I fear I am too small a man to meet you joy for joy." I did not have a family to lose, and cannot gain one back, so your joy is alien to me. He kept that thought to himself. "I fear I do not know how to take hope in what you have told me. Forgive me."

Sooner or later, old man, you are going to weary her with the same tune! Just as well for her sake.

He forced himself to smile. "I'm happy for you." But his eyes were haunted.