View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 10:14 PM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I don't believe there is a website; if you want it you have to pay for it (I got my copy six years in a second-hand bookstore for 50 cents, though, so you don't necessarily have to pay a *lot*).

Parts of it were really funny, though since I was 17 then I had to have a lot of stuff explained to me (Goodgulf? Nesselrode? What're those?). The bits that I thought were really amusing were the song parodies and the parodies of the solemn exposition ("Lo, there have been many strange signs and portents. Last month at the full moon a blue-ribbon Holstein bore alive two insurance salesmen.") And as for the songs, it's become very difficult to read the actual songs without thinking "Heaven help the Working-Elf!" or "And since that day it has been said/In ballad, lay and poem/Only trust an Elf or Dwarf/As far as you can throw 'em."

So stylistically it's a lot of fun. ("Aiieee! A Ballhog is come!") But as for the plot parody...eh. It gets old very fast. The second half of the book introduces Eorache the warrior Nazi and is just incredibly dull. They probably would have done better to parody the more serious excerpts only or something along those lines. Probably there about 10 really funny pages out of 90 (though to be fair, that's not bad for any sort of humor writing).

It's worth picking up a copy. Don't spend more than a dollar, though.