View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 11:00 AM   #72
Måns
Haunting Spirit

Måns has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must say that I am indeed impressed by the poetry that has been written hereand am glad to have been allowed to read it, thanks to all our excellent poets. This might not rhyme very well, nor be very Middle Earth topic, but I hope you all will be satisfied with this "Out-of-the-back-of-my-head" translation of something that should really have been posted in Swedish.

Emma, yet have I only seen you briefly, like ma far away vision of a higher beauty. Like a mountain, seen from afar by the tired wanderer who inspired by the marvellous sight of it is filled with renewed strength and joy, but when the vision ahs been taken away from him after but a short time, he is obsessed by it, ever seeking to once again look upon hte great glory that he once saw. The memory of the bauty he saw is driving him on, driving him mad, forever he struggles to see it once again, if not succesful dieing in the attempt. To see you today, it was such an undescribable glory that I cannot say with any tongue what love and courage I was filled with, I unworthy. Now, no work is hard or wearying, if it is your wish, I will do it for you, hastily and with joy for you are my Empress. With beauty and wiseness you are gifted in excess, none can compete with you, but that is to all clear, I think. You are the foremost of all, and I unworthy belong to you forver, oh Emma!

Emma, ännu har jag endast skådat dig flyktigt, som en vision av en fjärran och högre skönhet. Du är för mig som ett berg, hastigt skymtat i fjärran av den trötte vandraren som av lycka och längtan fylls med nya krafter, men när det alltför snart ryckts iväg från honom så söker han det tills han unnats att bese det igen eller stupat. Minnet av skönheten han en gång skådat finns för alltid etsat i honom, det driver honom vidare, alltid strävar den arme efter att åter få skåda dess underbara skönhet. Att se dig idag, så skön men också så flyktig gav mig styrkan att uthärda den olycklige Konung Phineus outhärdliga kval, genomföra Sisyfos arbete med lätthet och placera hans sten fast på toppen om du så önskade, härskarinna. Med skönhet och klokskap är du till övermåttan begåvad och alla står i din skuggan, ja ensam så står du främst, varken jämnåriga, yngre eller äldre kan med dig tävla. Du är av alla främst, och till dig hör jag ovärdige för evigt, O Emma!

Swedish version is much better than that pathetic translation, I'll get something ot eat and try again to translate it.

Måns

Josef Stalin
Måns is offline   Reply With Quote