View Single Post
Old 12-27-2003, 06:17 PM   #1258
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I'm going to carry on - how about the rest of you? How far do you think we'll get in the coming year?
Estelyn: I will continue. Frodo (and Sam) will not find it easy to leave me behind. I hope to reach Orodruin by Frodo's birthday in September, as I don't think I can make it by March.

Quote:
By the way, does anyone know if the mile/landmark count is going to go further eventually? I'd love to walk the entire journey if possible. I don't know who did the count, but whoever did, it's brilliant! I'd love to go all the way to the end with Frodo and Sam. It would be great!
Rosie-Posey: We can thank the Barrow-Wight for the mileage/landmark counter. He is a Prince among Wights. It originally went only as far as Rivendell, and as people started reaching (and passing) that goal, he graciously extended it to Caras Galadhon. I am hopeful that he will soon find the time and be kind enough to extend it even further.

We have spent the past 10 days relaxing amid the mallorns here in Lothlórien. The Galadhrim have been most gracious in granting us access to all amenities in the City. The hobbits have been able to eat their fill, Aragorn and Boromir have been working out in the gym, & Legolas and I have taken the dwarf to the spa for a complete...one might even call it extreme...makeover. This brief respite from our journey has allowed us to come to terms with the loss of Gandalf, though our grief cannot be wholly assuaged. But we must now leave this haven of peace and continue our Quest. Haldir returned to guide us to the shores of Silverlode, where we have been given boats. Galadriel and Celeborn arrived soon after and dined with us. The Lady had gifts for all of our Company, and gratefully did we receive them. Afterwards, we took our places in the boats, and the Galadhrim pushed us away from the shore. Then the current caught us and bore us away from Lórien.

--------------------

Now the Lady arose, and Celeborn led them back to the hythe. A yellow noon lay on the green land of the Tongue, and the water glittered with silver. All at last was made ready. The Company took their places in the boats as before. Crying farewell, the Elves of Lórien with long grey poles thrust them out into the flowing stream, and the rippling waters bore them slowly away. The travellers sat still without moving or speaking. On the green bank near to the very point of the Tongue the Lady Galadriel stood alone and silent. As they passed her they turned and their eyes watched her slowly floating away from them. For so it seemed to them: Lórien was slipping backward, like a bright ship masted with enchanted trees, sailing on to forgotten shores, while they sat helpless upon the margin of the grey and leafless world.