View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I hear that they're branching out into some new sports this year," says the voice on Zoe's radio. She turns the volume up a bit. She's not much into sports, but hearing about new extreme sports can be interesting.
"Yes, indeed they are," says the other announcer. "I've got a list here with me now."
"And what are they, Bill?"
"Well, the headline new sport is Balrog-winging."
"Balrog winging?"
"Let's cross to our Fellowship Games correspondant, Sarah, for the full details. Sarah?"
"Well, you see, Bill and John, the reason why this new sport is so unusual is that in terms of physical strength and skill, it's more like chess than surfing or snowboarding. Basically, the athletes try to generate ridiculously long discussions of small Tolkein-related details. Points are awarded for both length of disertation and originality of argument. Bonus points are awarded for any competitor who can bring an original slant to the question of "do Balrogs have wings?" - thus the name Balrog-winging."
"Sounds... interesting. Wait, we've got a caller on the line. Hello; James, is it?"
"Yep. Hi Bill. I've got a question for Sarah, or one of you guys if you know the answer."
"Yes?"
"How is Balrog-winging an extreme sport? There doesn't seem to be any danger involved."
"Yes, I see what you're saying," says Sarah. "But according to the Games organisers, competitors face a significant risk of death by starvation and a fatal reduction in social life. There's also a severe risk of RSI, caused both by typing extensively and lifting heavy volumes of Tolkien's works constantly--"
John interrupts: "And this is enough for extreme status?"
"Seems so," says Sarah. "Does that answer your question, James?"
"Yes, thanks."
"Thanks for calling."
"I've got a question," says John. "Where will this contest be held?"
"Venues are yet to be confirmed, but so far, rumours indicate the Barrow Downs, most likely in the Books Arena."
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote