View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 07:52 PM   #32
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Arvedui, You tried the links to TOlkien's maps and they didn't work? PM me, and tell me what went wrong. There are tricks, if the problem is printing them.

Hilda- estimating by the time is OK according to the Eowyn Challenge website. It's what I've been doing most of the week. I went to Walmart today, though, and got a pedometer for about eight bucks (I was going to get a "serious" one, but the sports store I tried didn't carry them... anyway...) Since it was the only one available, I settled for the Walmart digital edition despite the fact that the reviews warned me about its shortfalls. I did the settings, rather bummed that it wouldn't let me set my stride length in anything bit 6-inch increments (cheesy!!)

My stride length averaged at 28.7 inches. I had to choose between 24 and 30. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] So I chose 30 since it was closer, and went once around my neighborhood which I know is 0.9 miles. (Did it in the car once.) The pedometer read 1.07 mi. So I set it to 24 inches and tried again, and it read 0.8 mi. Grumble. (edit: But then I realised I hadn't reset it at the bottom of the driveway. So I set it back to 30 inches and tried again, and it read 0.96 mi. That's better.)

So, option 1 is to leave it at 24 and add 11 percent; option 2 is to put it back at 30 and subtract 5%. Being closer, the 30 setting wins, and I'll have to subtract about 5%. I use an XL spreadsheet to track the distance anyway so it's no biggie.

Extra features included a clock, stopwatch, and alarm. Not bad for eight bucks. If only they'd given better granularity on the stride!!

Well, now I've calibrated it, it'll be useful enough. On the plus side I did log an extra 1.8 (edit: 2.7) miles tonight testing the silly thing. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] If I overestimated my arrival at Frodo's first campsite (which is possible since I was estimating by elapsed time) then I should have gotten there by now.

[ March 28, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]