View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 12:55 PM   #111
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Quote:
I still think that he is a creation that is pure. His silliness may have been a way to keep him afloat with willful naivety, or just part of his nature. Other than that I am baffled. I mean Tom probably would have some sort of power over the ring but since the ring has no power over him he sees no need to do anything with it. He is only concerned with those lives within his shrinking land. He is powerful ,though; you have to give him that. He was able with out the slightest problem to get rid of the Barrow Wight, without even flinching. So there is power in him as a created being.
It is hard to pin any explanation on him as Tolkien doesn't even tell us much in his letters or anything else for that matter. I think Bombadil will forever be a mystery.
This was something that I had discussed with my mother. I tend to agree with her that Tom is an unblemished creation, but I have also come up with a few more theories.

Quote:
posted April 17, 2003 07:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The unspoiled creation, the Green Man the old man of the wood. And so as the earth itself changes so does Tom. The world does change, but much slower than that of us. I am talking about the earth. If Tom is the embodiment of Ea than Tom would take on characteristics of Ea in how slowly he changes. If the two Toms in the two places he is mentioned are slightly different: maybe that would explain him. ( I am sounding stupider and stupider as I go on don't I?
)
Tom, to me, is the unblemished creation. He was not touched by the discord. This is the reason why he seems so naive at times, while all the time is wiser than probably evan Gandalf. but if he is the unblemished creation then he could be part of Ea. He was most likely a spirit of Ea, and he could take physical forms.( here i go rehashing all that has been said.) And so we have the spirit of the Old Forest. When the Old Forest diminishes so does Tom. But still I wonder if Tom is the spirit of the Old Forest than why were the trees so evil. was it because they were so old?( I know I am going off topic) But if so then why did Tom not get more evil as he got older, if he wasn't the unblemished creation?
SO here I repeat my question, and therefore come to the conclusion that Tom is not the embodiment of the Old Forest just something of a caretaker, and wrangler. And so here is my theory yet again with a few spelling and grammer corrections.