Thread: Wierd?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 10:24 AM   #36
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

My newbie experience was pretty welcoming. The first post I ever made, was answering someone's question about the American film ratings system. I kind of dove in head first, after that, because whoever it was (sorry for forgetting, one really shouldn't forget the first nice person you meet somewhere [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) thanked me so nicely. I was kind of holding my breath to see what my first foray into the forum would bring, and was very bolstered by the reception I got.

So of course I proceeded to make a few blunders in books, such as using all caps instead of italics. But instead of slamming me over the head with a sarcastic comment, Squatter (there, I remember this one [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) remonstrated me very politely. I'll skip all the other stupid, stupid stuff I did and the names and member numbers of those who pointed out my error, but my point is that everyone (or most everyone) was very nice to me. (Violins play in the background).

I don't really think designating a specific person as a Newbie-Sitter is all that necessary. It's just important to, when they do "mess up", be nice about it. If they still take it the wrong way, that's their problem.

I have noticed somewhat terse "that's been done" messages (some even with [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] faces). Grumpiness is never helpful. I haven't seen that much of that here, 'course. But, it has happened. Maybe simply sending a PM to the Grouch reminding him/her that Newbie's have feelings too, would be the best thing to do.

And when I start rhyming unintentionally, I know that it's time to end my post, post haste.