View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 07:48 AM   #55
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Estelyn,

(Aside: It just struck me that I could nickname you "ET", which to me is a delightful nod to Fairie in another form and time, but it does lack the sense of dignity and calm decorum which I like in you. [I assume you know of the Spielberg movie.] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

Quote:
.... no one in my family or circle of friends is as passionate about reading as I am. Then those who do read have a completely different taste in literature.... At any rate, JRRT is not mass culture in Germany, though the movie seems to have attracted enough interest to put the books in prominent places in the bookstores.
I know that first feeling, for no one in my family when I was a child read as I did, and when I was working with literature, even though my parents supported my efforts, they never thought to read the novels I was working on. It means that there is this vast canyon between us and when I go home, there is part of me they will never know. Even when I joined a reading club, I found that the members' tastes ranged so widely that we could rarely generate a sense of common purpose, so that our discussions were often scattered.

What you say about the influence of the movie is intriguing, for suggests that film is, on one level, an international 'language'. Have you seen the movie in German or English?

Bethberry