Thread: Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
Nils
Wight

Nils has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That appears unlikely. At any rate, it seems downright impossible after the final incarnation of the Balrogs.

I agree that they became incarnate, but I don't see how that would mean they could not have taken a human like form.

From the descriptions I've read, it appears as if the Balrogs have a form surrounded by dark cloud.

I don't have The Treason of Isengard, so I'll trust this quote posted by a friend of mine:

The Bridge pg 199 Houghton Milton Company and pg 202 Houghton Milton Company:
Quote:
There is a penciled note on the manuscript against the describtion of the Balrog: 'alter the describtion of the Balrog. It seemed to be of man's shape, but its for could not be plainly decerned it FELT larger than it looked.' After the words 'Through the air it sprang over the fiery fissure' my father added: 'and a great shadow seemed to black out the light...'
Then there is this quote from Letter 297
Quote:
Legolas is translated Greenleaf(II 106, 154) a suitable name for a Woodland Elf, though one of royal and originally Sindarin line. 'Fiery locks' is entirely inappropriate: he was not a balrog!
I know that BoLT 2 is not a good source if informatation, but here is a portion of the account of the battle between Glorfindel and the Balrog:
Quote:
Now had he beaten a heavy swinge upon its iron helm, now hewn off the creature's whip-arm at the elbow. Then sprang the Balrog in the torment of his pain and fear full at Glorfindel, who stabbed like a dart of a snake; but he found only a shoulder, and was grappled, and they swayed to a fall upon the crag-top. Then Glorfindel's left hand sought a dirk, and this he thrust up that it pierced the Balrog's belly nigh his own face (for that demon was double his stature)...
From this description it appears that a Balrog's form could be that of a really tall child of Eru.

I know the movie portrays the Balrog differently, but that source is even worse than the Books of Lost Tales. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Matthew 12:37
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote