View Single Post
Old 07-26-2000, 06:06 AM   #11
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pile o' Bones
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: may I suggest 3 stages

RKittle - Morgoth's Ring, The War of the Jewels and Peoples of Middle Earth are probably the three best of the HoME series so far as providing information not appearing in any previously published work. If you can only get one, choose Morgoth's Ring. It contains some astounding texts. Next best is Peoples of Middle Earth (War of the jewels has some good stuff but consists mostly of the second half of the Silm.).

Lindil - While I would like to help on this project, at this point decision-making and participation should be broad based to get as many people involved as possible. This process should resemble a democracy rather than a fiefdom if any success is to be acheived. We need broad-based acceptance, rather than risking being viewed as some form of elitists.

I have read all 8 volumes of HoME relating to the First Age, some more than once, and have read the &quot;primary works&quot; innumerable times. Nonetheless, I decline to believe that someone who has read less or less often than I cannot provide valuable insight. Case in point -- I first read the Hobbit 18 years ago and have re-read it many times since, but I never noticed that Thranduil's hair is described as &quot;golden&quot; until the last time (see thread &quot;revelation about Legolas&quot.

</p>