Thread: Orcish Fear
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2000, 09:49 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Ring Orcish Fëar

Newly Deceased

The topic started by Arathorn II reminded me of another interesting problem - what about orcs? some hints are there, that they were elves by origin, tortuted by Bauglir.

All the notes of JRRT himself differ in this case - what about orcs - do they have fëa, or are even less developed than mere kelvar? All of those orcish leaders, having some tactical independence and criticising their lords (Shagrat, Gorbag, Grishnakh, Saruman's uruks) prove as it seems, that orcs must have some kind of free will. On the other hand, the whole mass of ordinary orcs have no will of their own at all, it seems. It's well understood why - Dark Lord needs no free subjects, but slaves. But if orcs had not fëar, it would be impossible for them to survive when their master were gone for a while (after losing his Ring), for they would be like leaderless ants. Yet we see them acting more or less without Sauron (not all the time, but when Sauron is actually gone). It would be great to hear what you have to say about this problem

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 11-26-2004 at 01:40 AM. Reason: all my posts in the thread (prior to 2002) are edited to get rid of the old code rags
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote