View Single Post
Old 06-19-2001, 08:14 AM   #4
Pengolodh
Haunting Spirit

Pengolodh has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haunting Spirit
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Principles of editing the Silmarillion

Jallanite

I agree with your categorizing of what should take precedence. No comments there.

Material in a lower level that specifically corrects material in a higher level may take precedence over the higher level. I mean things like the accounts of the hair-color of the Eldar published after Tolkien's death which make it clear that the statement in Appendix F is in error

What exactly do you mean here? What specific account are you referring to?

If a letter from J.R.R. Tolkien surfaced that stated that Celebrimbor's Fëanorian descent in The Lord of the Rings was an error to be removed, that would take priority.

I agree here as well. If something is obviously a correction from Letters, from a later date than the LoTR and it relates to our Silmarillion project, AND is not overruled by another correction in for instance HoMe 10, 11 or 12, it should have precendence.

Lindil, or anyone else, might it be a good idea to add an appendix or Myths Transformed , specifically indicated as the Profs latest musings/writings? We've acknowledged that it cannot be reconciled with the rest, but it does have considerable worth... Perhaps in vol. III , along with Laws and Customs, Quendi and Eldar etc.?

"In those days the Noldor still roamed the Hither Lands, Mightiest among the Children of Iluvatar, fair and tall and their beautiful voices were still heard by mere mortals"</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000097>Pengolod h</A> at: 6/19/01 10:16:05 am
Pengolodh is offline   Reply With Quote