View Single Post
Old 10-15-2002, 11:57 AM   #12
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What happened to your original post [?] Eruhen?

I apologize if I have said anything to create confusion, but I will try and state my Legolas position in its rawest form.

I do not think there is a chance in Udun that the 2 Legolas' are the same.

Zero zip nada.

I do not think there should be anything in our FoG that even suggests the possibility and I do not for a moment think JRRT would have either.

And here is why:

While Tolkien wrote/debated/corresponded rather exstensively on Glorfindel and his return or not, never once in HoME 6-9 [to my knowledge], the Letters or of course the LotR is Legolas [ of Gondolin] included in on this. The only realistic conclusion I can draw from this sfrom this is that JRRT never saw the 2 as identical.

The above coupled w/ the fact that legolas' name as it stands in LotR shows a 'sylvanization' that would no longer have been present in the Sindarin of Gondolin, leads me to conclude that while they share a similar name, to leave them identical against evidence is only the more likely to breed a confusion that need not exist.

Hope that clarifies my position at least.
as Aiwendil's stated
Quote:
I'm afraid this is not really possible. Legolas in FoG is an Elf of Gondolin, probably Noldorin (though possibly Sindarin). Legolas in LotR is the son of Thranduil, son of Oropher; Oropher is said to have been a Sindarin prince who came east to settle among the Silvan Elves. It is strongly suggested in UT that Legolas was not yet born when Oropher moved east.
[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote