Thread: Gondor's Kings
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, GandalftheWhite! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lets see if I can help clear it up a bit for you.
Quote:
I'm just a bit confused.
See,Gondor was a city established by Elendil and his people.
First off, Gondor was a Kingdom with many cities in it. Chief of these were Minas Ithil (which became Minas Morgul), Minas Anor (Which became Minas Tirith) and Osgiliath. Gondor was the Kingdom in the South, but there was also another kingdom, Arnor, in the North.

Quote:
So it is understood that he, and his heirs are the rightful Kings of Gondor.But then we know that Isildur and his sons perished at the Battle of Gladden Fields.
Actually, Elendil was the first king of both Gondor and Arnor. He was slain fighting Sauron at the Last Alliance in the Second Age. His son Isildur inherited the Kingship of Arnor, while his other son Anarion inherited the kingship of Gondor.

Isildur did die at the Gladden Fields, and all his children died sometime in that time period except the youngest, Valandil. Valandil became King of Arnor.

Anarion also died in the same war. His descendents were the Kings of Gondor.

Quote:
Also, Faramir tells Frodo that Earndur was the last King of Gondor; who after dying at the feud with the Witch of Angmar, left no heir for Gondor.So began the administration of the Stewwards of Gondor.
The last King of Gondor was named Earnur. He vanished attempting to go into Minas Morgul and was never seen again.

Quote:
Now my question is, were Earndur and Isildur Elendil of the same line?It is not mentioned anywhere.
Earnur was a descendant of Anarion, Isildur's brother, so yes the two were distantly related. Elendil was the father of both Isildur and Anarion, so Earnur would be from the line of Elendil.

Does this clear anything up?
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote