View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 07:10 PM   #7
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

I've always wondered about this as well. In the end I decided that either Tolkien had written the passage cited in Daisy Brambleburr's post some time after he wrote Merry's family tree, or it was information he simply felt wasn't vital to the Red Book. Or maybe he just ran out of room in the family tree. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] In any case, Tolkien seemed to have had a lot of ground he wanted to cover in the appendices. Perhaps he didn't have enough time or space for everything he wanted to include.

But yes, I've decided that Merry must have had a son. The only other explination is that the passage mentioned before had a bit of a typo, which I suppose isn't too improbable. Ah well, to each their own. We won't know everything that Tolkien had in mind, and I think that just adds more fun to it all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote