View Single Post
Old 06-22-2003, 11:49 PM   #43
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Happy days to all of you out there who are currently reading several books at once! I do this sometimes, but not always. And I too, am guilty before the fact of reading Harry Potter. I've ordered book 5 and will definitely read it in short order. Other recent reads: Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (read it twice and enjoyed it so much, I purchased Pilgermann, also by Hoban, but have not started it yet.

Just finished Silmarillion, will probably read it again; reading Unfinished Tales, always reading Tolkien's Letters, constantly re-reading Lord of the Rings...

I noticed a couple of people who were Dune fans: I read those in the 80's and thoroughly enjoyed them, but slowly became disenchanted after the followups to God-Emperor of Dune and have not picked up the more recent Brian Herbert efforts. I've got one of them, but it is packed in the "going to read it someday" box (there are about 20 of those stored around here). I think Asimov was the first sci-fi beyond Star Trek novelizations I got into: Foundation captured my imagination thoroughly!

Other recent reads: A whole bunch of Toby Peters mysteries set in 1940's Hollywood, with Basil Rathbone and Errol Flynn and Howard Hughes, etc. as players in the stories. Great chewing gum and real hard boiled!

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but that's how it is when you pour lots of fuel on a burned out brain! Bye for now!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote