The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Name a cat! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5402)

Kaze 08-21-2002 06:21 PM

Name a cat!

We've had our new cat for a couple days, but my mom and I still haven't been able to find (or agree) on a name for it... but we think something Tolkien-related would work well. Any ideas? (There's a picture of her here...sorry about the popups!)

Lothiriel Silmarien 08-21-2002 06:25 PM

AWWWWW!!!!!!!!! She's so cute!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I would suggest Pippin (Pippin is a good name for a cat, but it's a girl). But I've got some girl names:

Amarie
Nimrodel
Galadriel
Alatariel (one of Galadriel's names_
Luthien
Arwen
Eowyn (she kinda looks like an Eowyn!)

Well that's all I got for now, but if you don't like those, I can look for more!!!! That cat is so cute!!

Elrian 08-21-2002 06:26 PM

Beru, short for Beruthiel, the Queen of Gondor who had many cats.

Lothiriel Silmarien 08-21-2002 06:27 PM

Oh that's a good one.

NazgulNumberTen 08-21-2002 06:41 PM

i can't belive im saying this...
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW it's SO cute.
ok, as for a name um...nimphelos. nimp for short.
...so cute...

Morquesse 08-22-2002 11:29 AM

Actually Lothiriel, I found 'pip' in the dictionary and it means 'a well liked person' so you could name her that, Kaze. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
But what a cutie! Oh my gosh! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Here's a few names I came up with:
Varda,
Yavanna,
Nienna,
Este,
Vaire,
Vana,
and Nessa. Or you could name her 'Morquesse' [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
~M

Lothiriel Silmarien 08-22-2002 01:08 PM

That's cool Morquesse! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have a few more:

Nimloth
Elwing
Niniel or Nienor

Rose Cotton 08-22-2002 01:15 PM

How about Rosie? If you look in Rotk, in the appendix there are hobbit family trees. There are tons of hobbit names to choose from. (well not tons, but you get the idea)

Arwen?

Lothiriel Silmarien 08-22-2002 01:38 PM

Diamond.

gollum*elf*pup 08-22-2002 01:58 PM

a really fat one could be named Fatty Lumpkin! (or Fatty Bolger)

ArwenBaggins 08-22-2002 02:46 PM

name her Mithwen
Grey Maiden

The Green Ringwraith 08-22-2002 03:18 PM

Aozora (oh-zora)
Cairo (ky-roh)
Snowpaws
Diamond
Crystal
Temlethiel (tim-leh-thee-el)
Lukos (loo-kohs)
Laenithi (lay-nee-thee)

Just some suggestions. Plus, it looks like a Merry, or a Lily, or a Frodo (Freda if its a girl)

Eruwen 08-22-2002 04:48 PM

I would name her Pip or Pippin really. Pippin doesn't HAVE to be a guy name. All of the names here are good. But, if you have fav. character from LOTR, or ME really, then you should name her that.

Oh, and by the way, VERY cute kitten. My cat's not a kitten anymore. But he still looks like one. Anyway, that's my opinion. Hope it helps!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Kaze 08-22-2002 06:51 PM

That's a lot of ideas... thanks everybody! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lothiriel Silmarien 08-22-2002 08:57 PM

Let us know when you pick a name! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Jeli Baggins 08-22-2002 09:01 PM

Morquesse, i noticed u said a name could be "Este". Well, i was so excited when i bought my DVD player, my mom was driving and was saying to sum1 else driving that didn't stop, "S-T-O-P!" so me, hearing the 1st 2 letters, decided to name it "EsTe" for "ST" I never heard of sumone in LotR bein named Este, b/c i only read FotR so far, or mayeb i just wasn't paying attention [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] so, if u could tell me who it is, i will be very thankful! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lothiriel Silmarien 08-23-2002 09:18 AM

Este is in the Silmarillion. She is a Valar and her husband is Irmo and they dwell in the gardens of Lorien, in Valinor. Not Galadriel's realm, another Lorien [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Well, once you finish TTT and RotK, then you gotta read the Silmarillion. It's such a good book! You'll find out all about the Valar and the making of Arda and there's a lot in it about elves and the first awakening of men. And elves. You might know that already, sorry if I just repeated it all.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eol 08-23-2002 09:22 AM

Sweet face, but not so in a few year... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

how about Lady Grey? or Lady for short. Had a gray female kitty that was named lady, however she really did not behave as such, she was rather a tramp...

Jeli Baggins 08-23-2002 10:22 AM

Thx Lothiriel, now i can't wait to read them! And that by coniscience, my DVD player has a Tolkien related name! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Lothiriel Silmarien 08-23-2002 11:49 AM

No problem Jeli [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Here's two more!
Elbereth
Tinuviel

Lady_Galadriel 08-23-2002 05:45 PM

Awwww!!! Thats a cute kitten!!!! It kinda looks like one of my kittens! I think you should name it something sweet in elvish, or after your fav. Me character. But I like the names lukos, and snowpaws!
Also may I suggest, Neko, it's not really lotr related, i've just always wanted to name a pet that

My kittens names are
gollum, samwize, pippin, gandalf, legolas, and precious!!

Here is a link to a topic I started to help get names for my cats!
Lotr Cats

Eol 08-23-2002 06:15 PM

Neko would be approriate since neko is japanese for cat.

my cat is megumi neko sama (miss megumi cat)
then later found out that megumi in japanese means blessing.

forgive my ramble, carry on!

Lady_Galadriel 08-23-2002 06:34 PM

Wow, Eol! I knew that neko was something in japanese, butI did not know what! Thanks! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Eol 08-23-2002 06:47 PM

A little of manga Kenshin and a little Trigun there makes the world go around!

My other suggestion for cat names is to go for something that seems nature when you look at the animal. The KISS theory, keep it simple stupid! it does not help to have a complicated name and not be able to say with the animal goes to do something VERY bad. It comes out in as a mouth full of conscenant and a few vowels but not the original name.

Kaze 08-24-2002 10:10 PM

Well, I'm happy to say that we've finally decided on a name--Mithwen. It really seems to fit her. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks everybody!

Gimli Son Of Gloin 08-29-2002 01:06 PM

I think Pippin would be the best name for her. She loks like the kind of cat that is very friendly and very curious, and she just reminds me of Pippin. Ah, kittens! They make me feel warm all over! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

elanor_niphredil 08-30-2002 04:37 AM

Also may I suggest, Neko, it's not really lotr related, i've just always wanted to name a pet that.

I once had a cat called Neko. i also now have one called Gato, which is Italian for cat!

I suggest Rosie or Elanor, I love that name.

Melkor the Morgoth 08-30-2002 06:15 AM

gato is SPANISH for cat, not Italian you imbecillic ninnyhammer!

The Fifth 08-30-2002 07:50 AM

Oh Sauron, this thread is cracking me up! Gato is Spanish! I have no idea what the Italian word is, though.

VanimaEdhel 08-30-2002 05:22 PM

Name her Raw, which is Sindarin for Lion. That would be cute...or Rîs for queen.

Celebiel, which would connote Silver Star.

Mell means Dear.

Pigen and Tithen mean Tiny.

Bein is Beautiful or Fair.

Rîs o i'Tithen: Queen of the Tiny. That might be cute. Long, but cute...

Quenya...hmmm...

Allasë means Joy...that might be cute...

Cala is Light. Mighty is Taura. Lion is Rà. Maiden is Vendë. Queen is Tàri.

I'm just throwing out single words. Peacing them together could make something cute. Ràtàri is kind of cute: Lion Queen. Oh well...just trying to help!

Nevfeniel 08-30-2002 08:19 PM

Uh, I think we already established that the cat was named Mithwen. Just so ya know.

dark_one 09-01-2002 08:23 PM

My dad named his cat Gimli

Catherine 09-01-2002 08:51 PM

AWWWWW!!! Mithwen is soooooooo cute!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Losthuniel 09-02-2002 09:25 AM

My cats name is Niko (I wanted Beren or Earendil, but my family couldnt pronounce either) Neko, Niko. rather similar

Gimli Son Of Gloin 09-02-2002 10:24 AM

Yo, Melkor and Niphredil. Italian and Spanish are two languages which are very similar. It is very possible that 'gato' is Italian and Spanish for cat. So there is no need to argue.

Mintyztwin 11-14-2002 06:49 PM

My cat's names all have to do with food . . . what does that tell you? Except for my brothers' cat.(And therefor not mine.) She's named Precious. But not after LotR. She's named that 'cause Mom thought she was. But she isn't.

Orual 11-14-2002 08:34 PM

Mithwen is so cute!!!!! (The kitten and the name!) We just got a cat, and I wanted desperately to name her Beruthiel, but I got vetoed. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] So now we have Luci the Cat. Meow.

~*~Orual~*~

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: Orual ]

Lindril Arvilya 11-15-2002 10:51 PM

My brother was going to name his cat Buddy but I decided to name it Pippin while he was gone. He even looks like a feline Pip. Rascal cat. He's pure white with orange ears and two orange freckles beside his nose and an orange tail. He's rather funny-looking if I do say. Not saying that Peregrine Took is. Just my cat.

Diamond18 11-15-2002 11:45 PM

Oh that cat is SO cute. So cute it makes me want to cry. Sorry, ever since my last cat died seeing other cats make me want to cry!

Anyway, I know this cat is named already, but I had an idea. What about Enting? It just sounds so cute and little (even though Entings probably weren't little!)

It's even kind of sad...because there were no Entings anymore... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] That's what I'll have to name my imaginary cat that I don't have. Oy, it's late, I'm getting emotional.

[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

bragolheledion 11-16-2002 06:08 AM

"Neko would be approriate since neko is japanese for cat."

what about Koneko which is japanese for kitten..... or mabye elvis h theres always lamn which is quenya for animal lol i couldnt find cat.