The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The men elves (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5190)

Rose Cotton 05-29-2003 11:46 AM

The men elves

In Middle Earth the humans are known as Men. Elves, Dwarves and Hobbits are not men. So what do you call a male Elf, Dwarf or Hobbit?

the guy who be short 05-29-2003 11:54 AM

call them by their name. its easier.
I dont think there was a system. After all, women were classed as Men.
Many you could be a nazgul and call them he-elf and she-elf!

peony_foxburr 05-29-2003 12:07 PM

There wasn't really a system, but as I recall Tolkien refers to male Elves as "Elves" or by some other collective noun (i.e. "archers, Lords") modified by "Elven." Females were usually "Elven" this or that: Lady, Queen, maid, and so on. Hobbits are occasionally hobbit-lads or -lasses, if young enough; when they get old they are "gammers and gaffers." Sad to say (IMHO, that is), Tolkien had so few female characters, particularly of the hobbit variety, that the issue rarely occurred! But those are the conventions I've observed, and observe in my writing.
Female dwarves: nope, don't even want to go there--
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Arafangwen 05-29-2003 04:23 PM

I only remember one refrence to a female dwarf, her name was Sim I think. It might have had an accent. It only refered to her as a "female Dwarf" though. I belive peony_foxburr had all of the facts correct though.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 05-29-2003 06:21 PM

I believe the only mentioned female dwarf was Dis (accent over the "i")...

Tinuviel the Nightingale 05-30-2003 05:38 AM

That's right, it's in the appendix.

I think that Tolkien didn't refer to females as "elven" though. What about elven archers? They are usually male.

Finwe 05-30-2003 08:00 AM

For all we know, they could be female.

Lindril Arvilya 05-30-2003 10:27 AM

Quote:

So what do you call a male Elf, Dwarf or Hobbit?
You don't call them. They come on their own.

Frodo Baggins 06-04-2003 08:28 PM

I do remember Galadriel being referred to as an "elf-woman" at one point in LOTR. I think its it "The Mirror of Glaldriel".

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 06-05-2003 04:34 AM

Quote:

So what do you call a male Elf, Dwarf or Hobbit?
Not manly! They'll take offense to it, I'm sure! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I've often asked myself a similar question, only it's more along the lines of what a woman would call herself when trying to indicate she's of the race of Man.

I.E.: "I am Taph of Men!" as opposed to "I am Taph of the race of Man!" or vice versa? It's made for some interesting sentences in an on-going fanfiction my friend and I co-author ("I am Taph of the Sea of Men!" I laughed myself to tears over that one.)

Maybe it's "woelves" and "elves"; "wodwarves" and "dwarves"; and "wohobbits" and "hobbits", running on the whole "woman/man" shtick. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Novnarwen 06-07-2003 06:18 AM

This was quite interesting.... never tought of what they call male hobbits... or whatever... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]null[/img]

Airehiriel 06-10-2003 10:32 AM

We can always remember the line the one Nazgul made that the guy who be short reminded me of:

"Give up the halfling, she-elf."

Now was that an insertion of the movie makers, or did they find it somewhere? I guess that is what I would wonder about. Was it legitimate or made up?

[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: Airehiriel ]

Arafangwen 06-10-2003 08:58 PM

Ah! Luthien_ Tinuviel is correct, I knew it was a three lettered name with an accented i in there somewhere but I didn't have the book on hand. It's Dís. I don't think they called would have called any of the female elves "elf-women", because they're elves, not women, if that makes any sense at all..... She-elf mabey....