The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Barrowdowner from the Asia? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4552)

avarrogion 02-26-2003 09:16 PM

Barrowdowner from the Asia?

Hey what about those of you people from countries in Asia?...myself i am from Malaysia.

Neferchoirwen 03-06-2003 03:32 AM

I'm from the Philippines! Hello neighbor!

Amarinth 03-06-2003 09:24 AM

hey neferchoirwen, we're kababayans! and if i remember correctly, you had your picture posted in alkanoonion's mempix site, right? kaya pala you look pinoy (=

nice to have at least two fellow downers from asia, eh? hope there are more to post...

avarrogion, i totally missed your signature before, but now i see it's from samurai x (=

LadyElbereth 03-06-2003 08:17 PM

What about just Asian barrowdowners?
I'm not "from" Asia, but my mom is!
I went to visit my whole family in Thailand for the first time, what an experiance! I hope to go back one day soon.
Anyhoo, nice to meet all of you!
~LadyElbereth

Nevvasaiel 03-07-2003 09:18 AM

YAy! finally!

1/3 chinese, 1/3 malay right here

p.s. my dear lady elbereth, you are behind in your replies!! *whacks you* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Do all of you live in Malaysia or the Phillipines?

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: Nevvasaiel ]

InklingElf 03-07-2003 09:41 AM

I'm from the Philippines and I'm a Pinay! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Glad to see someone finally started a topic like this. I left the Flips [short for Philippines] when I was 9, and right now i'm 13 [almost 5 years now!].

The last time I visited the Flips was in December to spend Christmas with my family.

BTW: What regions of the Flips are you from: Neferchoirwen and Amarinth?

BBTW: Some of my cousins are 1/2 Chinese and 1/2 Filipino

Amarinth 03-10-2003 12:54 AM

hey inkling elf!

i'm from manila, though my work in volcanoes takes me practically everywhere in the flips [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] but starting next month i'll be based in sapporo, hokkaido, where i'll be taking postgraduate studies for the next 2.5 years.

btw, i'm way older than you (33, boo-hoo)! you can check out our pix in alkanoonion's mem pics site. will you post yours? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

InklingElf 03-10-2003 09:35 AM

I mught just do that Amarinth-though I'll have a hard time getting my digi-cam back from my mom-and the logi-cam on my computer isn't good with lighting. But soon [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Wow! Japan! I want to go there someday, well let me know how it goes.

BTW: I'm from the Northern region: Baguio --it's a bit cooler there than Manila where some of my relatives still live

LadyElbereth 03-10-2003 01:23 PM

Ack! I'm so sorry Nevvasaiel! I'll get to it as soon as I can! By they way, if you're 1/3 chinese and 1/3 malaysian, what's the other third?
-LadyElbereth

Neferchoirwen 03-11-2003 08:38 AM

Yay! more people from the Flips!

I actually left the US...been in the Flips since I was about 4 going on 5, and now I'm 21.

yep. Pinay it is...100% Ilocano!

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]

Nevvasaiel 03-13-2003 06:24 AM

ladyelbereth, all is cool! (does the matrix finger thing... ok, never mind)

the other third = hawaiian

Amarinth very sweet pic on the mem. page! is that your baby???

p.s. i should think Eredis is asian (see member pics). chinese/japanese/korean...

BethoHOG 03-13-2003 04:27 PM

Yay! Asians! ^_^ I live in the U.S. myself, but I am 1/2 Korean and 1/2 Chinese. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Amarinth 03-14-2003 12:28 AM

hi nevvasaiel!

thanks, she's actually my niece, but i am trying my very best to appropriate her from her parents for my own [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

glad to see many asian tolkien fans!

InklingElf 03-14-2003 09:40 AM

Amarinth: all my older cousins were book worms-and they passed it on to me [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Beruthiel 03-14-2003 04:20 PM

Hey!
I'm half chinese and have lived in Malaysia since I was a baby. I'm in Australia now but technically I'm still Asian! (Even though I don't look any bit asian, i've got brown wavy hair, brown eyes and freckles but OH WELL! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Amarinth 03-16-2003 01:28 AM

ingkling elf, i sure hope my niece gets tolkien-mania from me, counting on the genes i am [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. nice to know you're a book worm [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] i mean many of my younger relatives don't read too much but spend huge amounts of time playing pc games and the like. that considering i'm from the third world, eh; this must be a lot truer in the technologically advanced first world, methinks. you and your cousins are a special breed, my friend [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] hey and baguio, wow, cool! your folks just had the flower festival (panagbenga) last february...

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Amarinth ]

Nevvasaiel 03-16-2003 08:15 AM

BethoHOG and Beruthiel:

yay!! fellow zhong guo ren!
do you speak chinese? which dialect?

i speak mandarin and cantonese.

Amarinth, do you have a close up pic of your niece? i bet she looks like you! and make sure you bring her up with an intense interest in LOTR!!!!!!!!

BethoHOG 03-16-2003 01:40 PM

Nevvasaiel, I am Mandarin, but I don't speak it, nor do I speak Cantonese or any other Chinese type dialect. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I am an ABC (American Born Chinese), and my parents never taught me or anything... so... yeah. So sad. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

LadyElbereth 03-18-2003 02:24 PM

*sigh* I know how you feel BethoHOG, I was born in the USA and my mom never taught me any Thai. I'm trying to learn it now, but I still wish she would've taugbt me it when I was younger. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~LadyElbereth

InklingElf 03-19-2003 09:25 AM

I didn't leave my homeland till I was 9, so I still speak alot of Tagalog [Filipino] and believe me it IS hard to keep balanced with English!

Nevvasaiel 03-22-2003 10:30 AM

BethoHOG and LadyElbereth....

it's never too late to learn!!!!
of course, not pushing you to or anything...
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but imagine how much more easily you could converse with people if you ever visited Asia!
i have quite a lot of asian friends in the US and Canada who can't speak the language of their parents, or if they can, not very well. it's sad, yes, but it happens here too... lots of people who can't speak their native tongue very well in their attempts to be more american!

Beruthiel 03-23-2003 11:25 PM

I don't know any chinese! Its really sad, my grand-parents only know chinese so if i wanna talk to them my cousins have to translate [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I do know a little incy weency bit of malay though! Don't ask me to say anything, its real bad. You'd just laugh [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Neferchoirwen 08-06-2003 01:23 AM

Great to know that there are a lot of us Asians here at BD (in my case, Filipino BD-ers [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So...anyone else of Asian descent?

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Finiel 08-23-2003 09:53 AM

just my luck! i never thought i would find a forum like this!

a few minutes ago (reading another topic) i thought most downwers were europeans and americans. i'm a filipino, a bicolana specifically.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] well... can't type much.....tooo sleepywwww

Nilpaurion Felagund 10-13-2003 02:42 AM

Wow! Finally, some Asian(specifically Filipino) Tolkien-addi...er...lovers!

Hi! I'm Nilpaurion Felagund(or Elenrod: I prefer that...) and I am 100%...Filipino! Technically, I live in Cavite, but it's a stone's throw away from Manila...

Wala lang!
->The True Son of Finrod, and of Amarie the Vanyar

InklingElf 10-21-2003 06:14 PM

Nilpaurion Felagund: Wow talaga! Nice to meet you--I live in the US now--although I am a pure-born Pinay.

I lived in Bagiuo--8 or so hrs. from Manila.

Nilpaurion Felagund 10-24-2003 02:31 AM

Hi, InklingElf!

Quote:

so I still speak alot of Tagalog
Talaga! Sige, kakausapin kita ng Tagalog. Pero mahirip maging bilingual. Tapos nag-aaral pa ako ng Elvish(pareho) O, sige. Wala lang!

Yours, if you want to [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
->The True Son of Finrod, and of Amarië the Vanyar

Ryvyan 10-24-2003 09:39 AM

Hey, I'm a Chinese from Singapore myself! Glad to see all Asians around here!

Neferchoirwen 10-24-2003 10:12 AM

yoohoo! pinoy here!
How's everyone?

grew up in adak and muntinlupa...

InklingElf 10-27-2003 02:55 PM

Nilpaurion Felagund:
Quote:

Talaga! Sige, kakausapin kita ng Tagalog. Pero mahirip maging bilingual. Tapos nag-aaral pa ako ng Elvish(pareho) O, sige. Wala lang!
Hhehehehehe Wala lang! sige na po--mas marunong pala ikaw ng tagalog achaka elvish?
You're right--it's hard being bilingual...bleh...

Sleepy Ranger 10-30-2003 12:05 PM

And I though there were no others from Asia. I myself am from India.

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Sleepy Ranger ]

Lhunardawen 10-31-2003 01:34 AM

At last!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I am a Filipina too! I'm from Cavite, but lately I'm always in Quezon City because I study in Philippine Science High School and I live in its dormitory. Anyone familiar with it? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and by the way, Nilpaurion Felagund is my brother. Actually, he's my elven stepbrother and second cousin-in-law. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Astig! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:16 AM January 10, 2004: Message edited by: Lhunardawen ]

Nilpaurion Felagund 11-02-2003 04:31 AM

Quote:

Hhehehehehe Wala lang! sige na po--mas marunong pala ikaw ng tagalog achaka elvish?
You're right--it's hard being bilingual...bleh...
OK lang yan! Tsaka 'wag mo ko po...I'm not more than 17 years of age...ay, naku, basta...hehe...

Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->The True Son of Finrod, and of Amarië the Vanyar

Finwe 11-02-2003 05:07 PM

Technically I'm Asian, too. I was born in India, but moved to the US when I was 4 or 5, and I've been here ever since. Thankfully, I'm not too much of an ABCD (American Born Confused Desi (Desi = Indian)), but I'm not as Indian as my parents would like me to be. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nilpaurion Felagund 11-11-2003 08:07 PM

Hey, Neferchoirwen, just a question, if you mind. Where do you study? Are you, by any chance, near UP? Just curious...

->banakil on mumakil

BlackRose 11-23-2003 09:11 AM

Hullo! im a pinay from the philippines also! must sa inyo!! and hello also to my other asian neighbors! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nilpaurion Felagund 11-23-2003 11:25 PM

Hi, BlackRose! Welcome to the 'Downs! Enjoy decaying!

->Elenrod

BlackRose 11-26-2003 10:15 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Linaeve 11-26-2003 08:28 PM

Wow! I knew this was a great site [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I've lived in America my whole life, but both my parents are Taiwanese. My mom speaks Hakka and Mandarin, my dad speaks a Taiwanese dialect (not sure which one) and Mandarin, and unfortunately, I can only speak a bit of Mandarin- I can get along fine in a casual conversation, and my accent is better than a Caucasian's would be, since I've grown up speaking and hearing Chinese, but otherwise, I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to communicating in Chinese with people my own age (ie: high school students) or older.

nobody 01-05-2004 03:41 PM

I'm 100% Indian and I speak my language (Malayalam) better than I speak English, though I live in the UK now. Anyone else from Kerala, South India?