The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Battle all th way to...? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4152)

GildorInglorion 10-18-2002 05:51 AM

Battle all th way to...?

Ok, here is the idea

I start with a character, say Sam Gamgee.
The next post should present a character that probably would defeat Sam in a one to one battle.

And together with that a reason, a mootivation of some kind.

My hope is that this topic will LOWLYfight it's way to Fêanor or Ungoliant or who may end the topic, so don't use th Balog to defeat Sam... And I think we shoul probably avoid thing like Wormtongue defeating Saruman

Both good and evel creatures and characters

I make the first post to show an example

GildorInglorion 10-18-2002 05:52 AM

Pippin

At least after drinking the Ent water he is both bigger and stronger than Sam. He has also been involved in more battles and it was him and Meriadoc, Not Sam (and Frodo) who led the the scouring of the Shire.

hobbitlass 10-18-2002 03:00 PM

I like this idea. But I'm a little confused. Does the next person (say, me?) then says who will defeat Pippin and why? And so forth?

GildorInglorion 10-18-2002 06:23 PM

Exactly. Name a character or creature that you think will defeat Pippin. And an explanation.
If you chose Beregond, the next person Names a character or creature they think can defeat him. And so on.
So, the one You should defeat is

PIPPIN

Diamond18 10-18-2002 11:42 PM

I hope I'm not skipping hobbitlass...but I'll be the next person.

I'll say Merry could defeat Pippin. Merry will be about the same size, and has always dominated Pippin in the past. Pippin may be younger, but I image Merry having a few tricks up his sleeve that could aide him.

Now who could defeat MERRY.

lathspell 10-19-2002 01:54 AM

I daresay these three could all beat the others, depends on the situation, but one who could defeat them all is Gimli.

greetings,
lathspell

Susan Delgado 10-19-2002 02:20 AM

Legolas, in an archery contest.

Glorfinniel the Lost 10-19-2002 02:29 AM

A Balrog! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

hobbitlass 10-19-2002 05:45 AM

*No Diamond18, you didnt skip me. It was whoever next. I was going to go with Merry also but I was too tired to think why! Thank you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] *

I say Boromir could defeat Legolas because he is a warrior and has had more experience in warfare.

Of course on the assumption of the hand-to-hand combat that was suggested at the beginning of the thread. Otherwise Legolas could just about beat everybobdy at a distance with his bow. (YIKES, almost sounds like the awful sniper we have here in the D.C. area [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )

On a happier note...I'M A WIGHT!!!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: hobbitlass ]

Childlike Empress 10-20-2002 01:03 AM

Frodo: he's good at kicking people in the face when they try to steal his stuff.

GildorInglorion 10-20-2002 08:11 AM

I'm not sure if Frodo could defeat Boromir... But the orc- chieftain in Moria who throw his spear at Frodo could defeat them both.

He was stronger than Boromir and could throw him to the ground. Also, Boromir's sword didn't really seem to work against the really bad orcs. Sting worked better...

So, who can defeat the orc at Moria who throwed a spear at Frodo?

Diamond18 10-20-2002 01:02 PM

Ugluk could beat the buglush out of him.

Who could beat UGLUK?

Morgoth Bauglir 10-22-2002 08:57 PM

shelob

who could beat it (or her?)

Aramacil 10-24-2002 11:43 AM

Gandalf would kick his(her) hairy butt.

Who will beat Gandalf?