The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   OH DEAR! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3101)

Raefindel 02-21-2002 09:16 PM

OH DEAR!

My husband just bought me the Silmarillian. I've never read it before! I've read LotR repeatedly over the last 22 years, but I've avoided the Sil like a plague and now I have to read it! I'm sure I will be posting thousands of questions now! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Alkanoonion 02-21-2002 09:21 PM

Quote:

My husband just bought me the Silmarillian. I've never read it before! I've read LotR repeatedly over the last 22 years, but I've avoided the Sil like a plague and now I have to read it! I'm sure I will be posting thousands of questions now
Thats ok thats what we are hear for. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Joy 02-21-2002 09:25 PM

i think that you will enjoy the Silm. Very interesting, but slow at times.

May Millbanks 02-21-2002 10:35 PM

Well, Joy, many of Tolkien's works, though marvelous and colorful, get quite slow at times. No offense, but truthfully, I found myself asleep in the first book many times!

Bruce MacCulloch 02-21-2002 11:07 PM

Quote:

No offense, but truthfully, I found myself asleep in the first book many times!
Gasp! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
I have never read anything by Tolkien that wasn't amazingly good and totally absorbing. But then again, I tend to read things for fun that most people would find boring. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-21-2002 11:15 PM

Bruce, do you have kids???? I have 3! How will I ever find that kind of time? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Bruce MacCulloch 02-21-2002 11:37 PM

No kids - but I'm a college student that works in the evenings. I just love to read and always have a book with me. I read between classes, on break at work, etc. With the exception of the time I was in Basic Training and the time in the field while in the Army, I have had a book within reach almost every waking moment. Most of my friends will attest that I always have a book to read in my pocket, tucked under my arm, etc.

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]

Raefindel 02-21-2002 11:43 PM

I guess it's not how much time you have but how yo use it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bruce MacCulloch 02-22-2002 12:38 AM

Indeed, that is how I look at it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Eruhen 02-22-2002 10:41 AM

Some parts of the Silm, mainly the Lay of Leithan and the Narn i Hin Hurin, are as good, or may I say it, even better than LotR! And Bruce, most of the people at my school think I'm really wierd for getting this deep into Tolkien or any other book, but I don't really care what other people think! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-22-2002 10:58 AM

Oh, my sanity is GONE, as far as anyone in this family is concerned, as well.

zifnab 02-22-2002 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Raefindel:
<STRONG>Bruce, do you have kids???? I have 3! How will I ever find that kind of time? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I found that the best place to read is in the bathroom. Bring a cup of coffee and a cigarette, and with the fumes and stench your kids will never bother you in there!

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-22-2002 11:13 AM

LOL [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm sorry to say that another family member already had dibs on the bathroom. But Now you have me thinking more creatively. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

avarerniliel 02-24-2002 03:02 PM

I use my crawl space when I want to be alone, but then again, I'm short...

Raefindel 02-24-2002 03:35 PM

Crawl space! there we go! Just me and the cat! I was just in there recently, too. Yes, I've got to be the shortest Elf on record. Maybe we are a new special breed. Pixi-elves! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-24-2002 03:37 PM

Guess what guys, I can't find what I did with my new Sil book. I lost it over the weekend. It must have left it at the art teacher's. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Nilaraniel 02-27-2002 10:40 PM

>>>>>>>>I found that the best place to read is in the bathroom. Bring a cup of coffee and a cigarette, and with the fumes and stench your kids will never bother you in there! <<<<<<<<<<<<

I havn't gotten the quote thing down yet...I almost died when I read this!!!

I enjoy reading during the hour I have to be in the language lab at school. Also, classes with teachers who have monotone voices are usually good for reading. Maybe this explains my test grades?! Ah but college is great, most teachers don't care what you do in their class as long as it's quite. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nilaraniel

Samwise 03-01-2002 08:02 PM

Per Joy:
Quote:

i think that you will enjoy the Silm. Very interesting, but slow at times.
Hm. I remember trying to read the Silm in Jr. High. Gave up. Maybe I'll try again if I can find a copy... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:

LOTR Moment (IV) (Moria)
Orcs are everywhere
Samwise whacks one with a pot
gets..."the hang of this!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Copyright 2002 S. Uffelman

Aralaithiel 03-01-2002 10:00 PM

Sanity? What's that?
OK...short humans = hobbits/haflings, then
short Elves = elfings!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
That's it Raefindel! We're Elflings!!!!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]