The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I'm lost and I need help?? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3054)

Tárafëaien 12-19-2003 04:26 PM

I'm lost and I need help??

Hi to you all. I've just been skimming down through this and I feel I need to join and share my sad pathetic tale.
In my house, there are others who like LOTR but like most no hardcore fans, except for me. And being from a small town in the middle of nowhere Canada (otherwise known as Saskatchewan) and even being distant from that ... well I am isolated and I have no way to become a hardcore fan like y'all. I don't even know where I can learn Sindarin or anything like that! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] And the worst part of it all ... my brother, who isn't a hardcore fan, I don't think he's even read all the books, anyways he gets to watch RotK before ME! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Its not fair, not at all.
If any of you can help me with my dilemas please send word ... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

lord_of_rohan2003 12-19-2003 05:17 PM

Hey there,bummer to hear about you'r situation,but if it makes you feel any better,I live in a big town and I don't know a single hardcore fan,plenty of movie fans but not a single book fan.As far as learning Sindarin,I don't know any off hand,but their are sites that can teach it,and also I believe I heard of a book that can teach it as well but im just guessing that.As far as ROTK,it could be worse,my brother was holding on to our tickets and he lost them! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]But to make up for it he bought tickets for the noon show for Monday,so I almost forgive him.

Jess 12-20-2003 01:48 PM

Same with me Lord of Rohan 2003, I am the only one I know who has actually read the books, all my friends are obsessed with the movies, so when I want to talk to someone about something in the books I have to come here (NO OFFENSE! TOTALLY DID NOT MEAN THAT TO OFFEND ANYONE! I meant that it would be cool to talk to one of my friends that I really know to be able to discuss the story with me)but anyways... and I think I've heard of a book too but not sure either. Sorry to hear about your problem Tárafëaien [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~*Jessica*~ [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Annalaliath 12-20-2003 02:19 PM

Okay, run walk or bum a ride(from your family) to the nearest book store. There is a red paper back book that is all about Tolkien’s languages Its by a Ruth S. Noel and I can't remember the name of it. If they don't have it there then order it.

Hey I live in New Mexico of all places in the US and am one of three hard-core people I know in my Village(really it is a part of ABQ. but no one will admit it) My grandmother, and my mother are the only two. Just the other day my friends got me Legolas stuff and I was whimpering the entire time, "but I am not a Nazgirl...." But for those of us who have been exposed to Tolkien since birth I feel for ya. Other people have figured out not to bring up Tolkien around me cause I won't shut up. Alas, the agony!

Knight of Gondor 12-20-2003 02:21 PM

First of all, calm down. There is time to become the ultimate fan. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I am a good example. I love to read, and enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia series. But I'd never heard of the LotR books until stirrings about a movie were heard. I started reading them about a week after they came out, maybe two weeks. I saw the movie with 40 pages to go on FotR. I read the books through, then twice. I joined Barrow-Downs mid-2002, and read The Silmarillion during this time. I read reviews, expanded my LotR website knowledge, and e-friends circle. By TTT's release, I was there opening morning. Right after TTT, I had a brief hiatus from Barrow-Downs (by brief I mean nine months), unfortunately.

During 2003, I read the Books of Lost Tales, and kept ahead on all the rumors and pictures of RotK. I reviewed a LOT of stuff LotR-related on Amazon.com, I'm proud to say. (Check it out! Vote it helpful! You'll know it's me because it will say "From: The land of Gondor" or something LotR-related)

As for learning Sindarin, dude, forget it. It's not that important. I'm concentrating on Spanish, which is actually useful.

Estelyn Telcontar 12-20-2003 11:21 PM

Here's a thread (3 pages long!) that should encourage you; Are you alone too? There are many Downs members who don't have LotR fan friends in real life; that's why we come here to share. You can also learn a lot by reading what others who know a lot have posted. Hope you enjoy your personal 'voyage' to Middle-earth!

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien 12-21-2003 04:17 AM

I feel your pain [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I am learning Quenya, not Sindarin and there are many useful websites out there.

Keep working at it and you will draw people to you - hehehehehehehehe *evil grin*

Ophelia 12-21-2003 08:02 AM

If that help even a little bit (but I suppose that it doesn`t) than you should know I live in a small country and in a quite small city where you can not be a BIG Tolkien fan . I can`t even get any books in my native language except for LotR and Hobbit though I have bought Silm in english but that`s all . And RotK ? I have to die slowly for it will be here only at 9th of January in the best case . And I`m just dying for I can not get EE of any of those DVDs . But still I live on and am a Tolkien fan here and on the other sites . And as I belive everyone else has allready told you some links to start up you Sindarin . Well I myself prefer the Common Speech [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Hope it helped at least a bit .

-Ophe-