The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Saul Zaentz dead at 92... (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18592)

Morthoron 01-04-2014 01:33 PM

Saul Zaentz dead at 92...

So he didn't make it to his eleventieth birthday, but he tried.

Perhaps his company will be less litigious, Middle-earth-wise, with him gone. After all, Zaentz was a man who once sued John Fogerty, leader singer and composer for Creedence Clearwater Revival, for sounding too much like John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival. :rolleyes:

radagastly 01-04-2014 01:46 PM

I'm tempted to quote the Munchkins, but I won't. I can't think of anyone else who so enthusiastically damaged the creative process.

Bęthberry 01-04-2014 10:32 PM

Who inherits his rights?

demnation 01-05-2014 01:30 AM

Hmmm

The way some are eulogizing him, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Zaentz himself was the creator of Middle-earth.:rolleyes: I'm still not certain how integral he was in getting Jackson's films made, since it seems he and New Line were in court for years. Still, a shame to lose such an influential behind the scenes guy. (Though 92 years on this earth is not too shabby!)

Bęthberry 01-05-2014 12:42 PM

I don't think anyone here is missing him.

Inziladun 01-05-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry (Post 688438)
I don't think anyone here is missing him.

While the man seemed money-hungry to the point of being blind to all else, I never wished him any personal ill will. I just think it's a pity that Tolkien's work has to be subject to litigation over matters of greed.

Bęthberry 01-05-2014 03:20 PM

Oh, I didn't mean him ill will, either. But I meant that, his influence on controlling even names from Middle-earth has been excessive. It isn't something most of us relish and I think has harmed and discouraged those particularly who developed Middle-earth activities not for profit but for fun.

And what Morth said about Fogerty.

Mithalwen 01-05-2014 03:51 PM

It is just business. The corporation stil owns the rights to the names. They will carry on suing as they have to in order to maintain trademarks. Nothing will change with his death.

Morthoron 01-05-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 688444)
Nothing will change with his death.

If there is any divine justice in the afterlife, I can imagine Tolkien puffing merrily upon his pipe while shoving great wads of legal documents down Saul's throat.

Mithalwen 01-05-2014 06:34 PM

If there is any justice in the afterlife wil Tolkien be in the same place as Zaentz, let alone any lawyers?:Merisu:

Sarumian 01-05-2014 08:00 PM

Shall we ask to transfer this branch to:

What do you assign for Orthanc?

Btw if Saul died from Alzheimer, he probably had been out of business for years.

RIP

Elemmakil 01-06-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry (Post 688443)
Oh, I didn't mean him ill will, either. But I meant that, his influence on controlling even names from Middle-earth has been excessive. It isn't something most of us relish and I think has harmed and discouraged those particularly who developed Middle-earth activities not for profit but for fun.

And what Morth said about Fogerty.

Yeah, reminds me of Tom Maringer's Shire Post Coins, that were rather brutally shut down. Ironically, had Tom never tried to do the right thing and secure a license to produce (which had for whatever reason been rejected by T.E.) I doubt his operations would ever otherwise had attracted attention. Sometimes it is much better to beg forgiveness than ask permission...

Mithalwen 01-06-2014 02:29 PM

I can forgive him something for facilitating The English Patient. Anthony Minghella, one of the Isle of Wight's greatest sons should have been 60 today. Sigh.... much missed.