The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   WW LXXXIX: The Terror of Tol Fuin (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=17423)

Inziladun 06-24-2011 12:40 PM

WW LXXXIX: The Terror of Tol Fuin

It was the year 952 of the Second Age of the mortal lands of Arda. In Númenor, the Land of the Star of the Edain, Men lived in bliss scarcely less than that of the Eldar of Eressëa.There was peace and prosperity.
With peace though, may come boredom, and that has ever been so for the race of Men. Those of Númenor who desired adventure, having no enemy upon which to wage war, exercised their minds and energies as mariners, sailing north, south, and east.
Many coasts they had visited since the time of Tar-Elendil, the fourth king. During his reign, the shores of Middle-earth had first been reached by a ship from Númenor. His grandson, Tar-Aladrion, had before he took the Sceptre begun the Guild of Venturers, to which those who would sail the ships belonged. It is in his reign that this tale begins.

************************************************** **************************************************

Inziladun of the Guild of Venturers had spent over half his life sailing the Sea. He had gained the esteem of his fellows, becoming a captain. Interested in old tales and lore, he knew the story of Túrin Turambar well, and of the legend which said the graves of Túrin and his mother, Morwen Eledhwen had remained above the waters at the breaking of Angband which had ended the First Age. The voyage to Middle-earth he had made several times, but it came into his mind to wonder why he never before had thought to try to find the island where the graves must be. He had heard from the Eldar in Lindon that there were indeed three islands to the northwest of their harbour of Mithlond, though none of them had made the journey.

"The resting place of Túrin the Hapless should be unmolested by us," they had said. "South we go, but mostly West, when those of the Elves here on the Hither Shore give in to the sea-longing and desire to return to Aman."

At length, Inziladun resolved to attempt the feat, recruiting other mariners of the Guild. It did not take long to find many willing to go with him. Now he had only to gain the blessing of King Aldarion.

************************************************** **************************************************

Three weeks later, the spring sun shone on a lonely ship at Sea.
King Aldarion had made no bother about the proposal, saying to Inziladun that he only wished he could accompany them. Now, fifteen people altogether had embarked, their destinaton, Tol Morwen.

The weather had thus far been fair. Now, though, ominous clouds had begun to appear on the north-western horizon. as the sun began to set. The dark clouds appeared to be blood-stained, and the crew nervously joked about that hopefully not being an ill omen.

DO NOT POST HERE YET

Inziladun 06-24-2011 02:30 PM

As the light faded, the clouds grew darker. Bright shards of purple lightning rent the sky, and thunder boomed overhead. The wind began to pick up, and whitecaps surrounded the ship. The seas grew heavier by the minute, and the mariners were hard put to it, as heavy rains lashed them unrelentingly.
Around midnight, a roaring noise was heard in the darkness, and all feared a waterspout had come to finish them. Some prayed to Uinen that she might have pity on them, and restrain her husband Ossë's wrath.
Suddenly the lookouts cried out in alarm. A dark line of jagged land had appeared before them. The winds had dismasted the ship, and the crew was helpless to steer. With a tremendous tearing noise, the ship shuddered violently, and the mariners watched in horror as water began to pour into the holes sharp rocks had torn into her keel. Nothing they could do would save her. Leaping overboard, they swam desperately toward the shore, hoping luck would see them safely through the piled rocks protruding from the surf.

Dawn's light grew on a desolate beach. The crew lay hither and yon, sprawled wearily out of reach of the tides which pounded and roared. The storm seemed to be ending, though. Slowly, they took stock of one another. All but one were found to be all right, if sore and very bruised. Inziladun, though, had broken his leg. He had been the last to leave the ship, and had leaped into the waters very late, landing on a large rock. Bone protruded from the limb, and he was unable to stand.

As the light increased, the crew could see high cliffs, topped with trees. They had no way of knowing just where they were. In the night, the wind had shifted many times. The ship was nowhere to be seen, though debris could be seen in the water. Their stores had been lost, and the first order of business was to see what there was on the island of food and drink.

Leaving Inziladun as comfortable as possible, they scattered to explore the place, some in twos or threes, and some alone.

DO NOT POST YET

Inziladun 06-24-2011 06:00 PM

Some of the crew found things the did not expect.

Three of them had wandered several miles from the shore onto a rocky hilltop. Losing xyr footing, one slipped with a cry down the side of the hill. The other two rushed to the edge and looked down in dismay. They were relieved to see their comrade lying by a crack in the wall near a large boulder, only 10 feet or so below. Their eyes were held by the opening in the rock, for a greenish light appeared to be emanating from it, looking in the dim sunlight almost like a living thing. The two above carefully jumped down, even as the fallen one got to xyr feet. Looking at one another, they passed in soundless agreement past the opening into what appeared to be a large cave. How big it was they could not guess, for the light outside did not reach to its walls, and the green light did not seem to illuminate much. As they looked, dark mists began to swirl around them, forming themselves into man-shaped figures. The three companions were alarmed, but before they could act, the misty figures rushed toward them, and the last sounds they heard were of evil, screeching laughter.

A short time later, three figures emerged from the cave. They looked the same as those who had entered, but the minds inside them had changed. The cave had been a lair of evil spirits of Taur-nu-Fuin, and when the Valar had assailed their lord's fortress of Angband, it had been their refuge. They knew the minds of their prey, and had all their memories. They knew others were here, and after so long with no sport, their thoughts were filled with the desire for carnage. They smiled grimly, as they began to make their way back to the others.

************************************************** *************************************************

Another of the group, having gone in a different direction, found something as well. Xe had walked long, but had found a small stream that would serve for water. While drinking xyr fill, xyr eyes glanced upon a small, green stone by the water's edge. Somehow, the stone gave xem confort, and xe pocketed it. It looked like an elf-stone, and maybe it had been dropped long years before by one of the Eldar in the place, by chance or not. Xe felt somehow that it could aid xem, but something told xem to keep it secret.

************************************************** *************************************************

There was good news, when all had returned to the beach. Not only had water been found, but there were nuts and wild berries growing. Also, some had the knowledge of how to make snares for animals, and all could construct nets to catch fish. They could perhaps survive here long, and perhaps even build some sort of vessel eventually. Some of their tools had been washed ashore, and they took those gladly. As the Sun once again began to sink, they thought at least that things were not as severe as they might be.

IT IS NOW NIGHT 1.

Baddies may PM. Seer send a pick.

The living:

Inziladun (Mod)
Bom Tombadillo
Nogrod
Shasta
Kitanna
G55
Sally
Eomer
Nerwen
Loslote
Greenie
Lommy
Nilp
Mithalwen
Legate

Inziladun 06-25-2011 05:56 PM

Night had fallen on the island. After eating what they could find, the stranded crew talked among themselves, of the plans for the coming days and weeks, of how they might use materials there to build some craft that would take at least some of them to the coast of Middle-earth, where they could hope to obtain help from the Eldar. Inziladun was in great pain. The bone had put back into place by one of the crew more skilled in medicine, and the wound washed, but no athelas could be found nearby, and they despaired to find it there. As night grew later, they found themselves places in which to bed down, some on the beach, others farther inland.

As one of the crew lay down, xe thought again of the green stone xe had found. Making sure that no one else was near, he took it from xyr pocket and gazed at it. The stone still gave a sense of comfort, and some vague feeling of insight. Xe put the stone away again, and closed xyr eyes.

That night, the most vivid dreams came to xem. A vision of one of xyr mates here on the island came before xem, and it was not only their physical form, but the secrets of xyr heart as well. It was a dream, and yet more, and xe felt certain the stone had called to xem alone.

Late in the dark night Inziladun awoke. The pain he felt made it impossible to sleep, and he had dozed only fitfully. Now, though, he felt it was something more than the wounded leg that had awakened him. He lay there motionless, confused, straining his senses. There was sudden movement behind him, and in alarm, he tried to move quickly to his feet, causing a monstrous bolt of pain from his leg. He collapsed back to the ground, sweating and gritting his teeth. But now three figures stood before him, and relief swept him. It was only some of the crew. Laughing bitterly at his own foolishness, he started to ask them if anything was wrong. It was then that a swift blade was drawn, and plunged down in a deadly arc. The dagger pierced his heart, and with his last sight he saw their faces, their eyes now burning red, and he thought he understood, and knew now where his voyage had finished.

At the dawn, several of the marooned Númenóreans began to awake. One of the first things on their minds was to check on their fallen captain. When they found him, their cries echoed wildly, and soon all fourteen of them were at his side.
The captain lay dead. Blood covered the body and the ground beside. At the captain's right hand, etched into the sand, were the words "three crew" and "evil". He had apparently been trying to write more when he had succumbed to his injury.
And the Sun rose, lighting the ghastly scene for all to see.

IT IS NOW DAY 1

Cease all Nightly activities. Everyone may now post.

The Living:

Bom Tombadillo
Nogrod
Shasta
Kitanna
G55
Sally
Eomer
Nerwen
Loslote
Greenie
Lommy
Nilp
Mithalwen
Legate

The Dead:

Inziladun (Mod)

Bom Tombadillo 06-25-2011 06:09 PM

*grumbles* Stupid Daylight Savings Time. I've been checking this for an hour already.

[silence]

. . .

[silence]

Um. Please don't kill me, kthxbai?

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-25-2011 06:18 PM

May I have your attention please (for that is what I have long desired).

All right, now, I have this problem.

Most of you know what I'm about to do. Heck, even probably those people I'm playing with for the first time know what I'm about to do.

You're about to miss DAY 1 again?

Oh, shush, Adam. I thought you were dead.

I won't be 'til you are. So die already.

Right. Anyway, my problem.

How do I make something so banal and predictable seem fresh and exciting once more?

Oh, I know.

Eomer of the Rohirrim, I challenge you to a duel to the death.

At least I get to keep the initiative on my side, right.

Oh, just get it over with.

Not yet, fool. Not yet.

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-25-2011 06:20 PM

Does it count as double-posting if you post as two or three people?

You forgot to mention that even the spambots know what you're about to do.

Right, thanks Alice.

So how about you just do it? Or do you want me to?

We need drama, okay? A lot of drama.

satansaloser2005 06-25-2011 06:24 PM

++Nilp for representative

satansaloser2005 06-25-2011 06:47 PM

All right then, to business. Here are some facts to keep in mind.

I am an ordo.

I fully intend to win this game.

I have to be done with this game by, if not before, July 6. If we're not done by then, I'll have to withdraw.

I've never withdrawn from a game before. I have no desire to do so now.

If I don't withdraw, I'll have to be killed at some point (or modfired, which also has never happened).

Statistically, if I'm killed as an ordo, the village cannot win. (The only exception to this is a tie.)

Therefore, we need to kill all the werewolves before the sixth. If we don't, we don't win.

Let's get dangerous.

Galadriel55 06-25-2011 06:54 PM

I've been counting the minutes to the DL, and decided to play a game of checkers with my sister to waste time. That game - and another and another - was so intense that I completely forgot that I'm just waiting for the DL. :rolleyes::D I'm 50 minutes late. :p

And while I'm here... YAY for my first ever WW post!!!

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-25-2011 06:57 PM

I approve of Darkwing Duck

Interesting points, Sallykins.

Ooh, ooh, I know.

How about we off you now, eh, Wolfie? :p

55th Galadriel, you know what I'm about to do, right? Right?

Oh, brother.

So, what, are we gonna play this game by consensus?

I dunno, Alice; I never got to pick a role.

Galadriel55 06-25-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund (Post 657392)
55th Galadriel, you know what I'm about to do, right? Right?

Turn on the italics thingy. :p ;)

satansaloser2005 06-25-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund (Post 657392)
How about we off you now, eh, Wolfie? :p

After you, my sweet. :Merisu:

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-25-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 657394)
Turn on the italics thingy. :p ;)

Hey, hey, this is the first time I've done this in-game, right?

Second for me--I was in Sally's game.

Fourth. That (ugh) 5th WW, the 2nd Duelling Wizards, then the rest with Alice.

I see. You guys show up a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 657395)
After you, my sweet. :Merisu:

No, no, dear, see, whenever we play, you're always evil--yes, even that game where you were the Moddess Goddess.

Therefore, since dice have memories, stored in a supercomputer hidden in some secret location, you, my love, are evil once more.

satansaloser2005 06-25-2011 07:20 PM

Dun didn't use dice. He said so himself.

I'm sorry, my dark prince, but I've clearly caught you in your own web of lies. Care to surrender?

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-25-2011 07:31 PM

The course of true lynching never did run smooth.

Yes, yes, my dearest, I would desire to find oblivion in your (choking) embrace. :Merisu:

Oh, dear, I'm gonna hurl.

Kitanna 06-25-2011 08:00 PM

I declare shenanigans on Sally and Nilp.

But seriously where is everyone? I guess it's only a few hours in...

Bom: Guilty of talking first
Nilp: Guilty of suffering from a mental break down
Sally: Guilty of aforementioned shenanigans
G55: Guilty of being new to WW
Kit: Guilty of loving puppies
Everyone else: Guilty of silence

Galadriel55 06-25-2011 08:33 PM

Isn't Bom also guilty of being new to WW?

satansaloser2005 06-25-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 657402)
Isn't Bom also guilty of being new to WW?

Indeed not. He was in my last game. :)

*revels in shenanigans*

Loslote 06-25-2011 08:58 PM

Warning: I had a little bit of caffine today. This is not normal. I do not actually like coffee. I am thus unused to caffine rushes. Ergo, normal Lottie insanity just got worse. Welcome to Day 1. :smokin:

Oh, and this particular theme keeps making me get this song in my head. I call being Larry. :D

Shastanis Althreduin 06-25-2011 09:24 PM

I kind of don't even want to post until people have gotten this out of their system, but I am in fact aware the game has started. I'm excited - we've gone too long without a game of WW on the 'Downs.

Galadriel55 06-25-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 657406)
Indeed not. He was in my last game. :)

Oooops! My bad! *digs through memmory: why didn't I remember that?* Ah, here's the answer! I've been up too late for the past week. *scratches head* That means I should shut up and go to bed.

Shastanis Althreduin 06-25-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 657410)
Oooops! My bad! *digs through memmory: why didn't I remember that?* Ah, here's the answer! I've been up too late for the past week. *scratches head* That means I should shut up and go to bed.

I think your sig answers this pretty well. :)

Mithalwen 06-25-2011 09:49 PM

I was really impressed by that til I noticed Galadriel55 no longer had a Russian sig...so much for powers of observation. Glad to see Nilp is behaving entirely normally. For him.. them. Caught mummie a wolf have you? thoughtful boy...:cool:

Anyway need a bit more sleep - love getting woken by light at stupid-o' clock ..later.....

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-25-2011 10:00 PM

<--not a pint of coffee!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitanna (Post 657400)
I declare shenanigans on Sally and Nilp.

But seriously where is everyone? I guess it's only a few hours in...

Bom: Guilty of talking first
Nilp: Guilty of suffering from a mental break down
Sally: Guilty of aforementioned shenanigans
G55: Guilty of being new to WW
Kit: Guilty of loving puppies
Everyone else: Guilty of silence

I take umbrage at your remark!

I don't 'suffer' from a mental break down--I happen to enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 657414)
I was really impressed by that til I noticed Galadriel55 no longer had a Russian sig...so much for powers of observation. Glad to see Nilp is behaving entirely normally. For him.. them. Caught mummie a wolf have you? thoughtful boy...:cool:

Anyway need a bit more sleep - love getting woken by light at stupid-o' clock ..later.....

Not behaving entirely normally, mother, I haven't done 'it' yet.

Oh, and coffee is evil. Therefore, Loslote, I take that as a confession.

So here are our known wolves thus far:
  • Sally
  • Loslote

Anyone else willing to let slip a little furry confession?

PS. Alice was also in that 2nd Duelling Wizard game, so she has a grand total of three appearances in WW games.

Bom Tombadillo 06-25-2011 10:09 PM

*ahem* It's well known that the first three people to post are the wolves. This means that while I agree with you, Nilp, about Sally being evil, so are you and . . . er . . . me. Um, maybe I should've thought that through more.

By the way, does anybody know whether votes are retractable? If it's in the rules, then I missed it.

If they are, then I'll be voting for DeathWish!Sally until such time as further evidence is presented.

"But she doesn't have a death wish," you say?

Quote:

If I don't withdraw, I'll have to be killed at some point . . .
You will note that she has not withdrawn, ergo, according to her own (totally not-taken-out-of-context!) words, she will have to be killed.

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-25-2011 10:14 PM

Of course I'm evil. I thought everyone knew that. :cool:

Whether I am a friend of this impromptu village or not, well, that shall have to remain unknown.

(After all, y'all won't trust me if I told you I'm back to being an Ordo again, would you?)

Loslote 06-25-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund (Post 657417)
(After all, y'all won't trust me if I told you I'm back to being an Ordo again, would you?)

Regardless of role, I'm rather certain you're never ordinary. ;)

Nerwen 06-26-2011 12:43 AM

So... nothing much to report, is there?

We have Nilp and cohorts (by the way, I don't believe I've had the pleasure of Alice's acquaintance) threatening to... let me guess... self-vote?:rolleyes:

We have Sally claiming to be an ordo– which almost counts as a reveal, in a small game like this.

We have Bom Tombadillo stating his intention of voting Sally:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bom
By the way, does anybody know whether votes are retractable? If it's in the rules, then I missed it.

If they are, then I'll be voting for DeathWish!Sally until such time as further evidence is presented.

"But she doesn't have a death wish," you say?

You will note that she has not withdrawn, ergo, according to her own (totally not-taken-out-of-context!) words, she will have to be killed.

If votes were retractable, the rules would have said so (unless Zil wants to come to life to correct me).

Now, here's a question for you, Bom. Obviously, your reason for voting Sally is a joke. What about your intention of voting her as a placeholder candidate? Was that a joke too?

Mithalwen 06-26-2011 01:25 AM

Yeah..I haven't played much since the werewolf procedures were codified but I think fixed votes are the default setting unless I am the mod in which case it is retractable votes and major league hissy fits when they are abused :rolleyes:. So I concur with Nerwen.

Otherwise ..yeah I am glad I spent the past few hours sleeping...
Nilp - evil? *gulp* no you are just err..different.

Well time to get the kettle on and then consider if there is anything more to the posting so far than froth and bubble. Why is Shasta anxious about not posting in it? Was he traumatised by some silliness related incident in WW whatever that has gone down in legend? It just seemed a slightly peculiar thing to say. Excited but reluctant to post .... hmm... maybe just a subtle version of the Day one thing.

Loslote 06-26-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 657425)
Why is Shasta anxious about not posting in it? Was he traumatised by some silliness related incident in WW whatever that has gone down in legend? It just seemed a slightly peculiar thing to say. Excited but reluctant to post .... hmm... maybe just a subtle version of the Day one thing.

Erm...well, Ordo!Me might have sort of accidentally gotten Seer!Him killed on Day 1 once...but it wasn't all my fault...there was this bandwagon...mostly on his banter posts...yeah that fits your description pretty much. :o

Mithalwen 06-26-2011 02:00 AM

Ah ok then ... right I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now then...

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-26-2011 02:06 AM

A word of advice, mum:

1) Listen to your first instincts; and
2) Never listen to known baddies.

The Trio of Evil is complete!
  • Sally
  • Loslote
  • Shasta

Would anyone wish to cast the first vote?

Loslote 06-26-2011 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund (Post 657429)

Love to, but I'd also love to catch wolves, and I fear there might be a conflict of interest. ;)

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-26-2011 03:22 AM

Actually, I would love to, too, but alas! I have a reputation to uphold.

And even were I not so shackled, I would not vote for Sally on DAY 1. And since you made me blush, I'm disinclined to offer you to the noose, too.

Shasta, be thankful I'm insane!

Mithalwen 06-26-2011 04:06 AM

Well I now ahve a small vat of coffee... but still quiet. I will be out for lunch but hope it will be a bit livelier after. Or is it going to be one of those "Goes frantic in the last hour games". :rolleyes:

Shastanis Althreduin 06-26-2011 05:28 AM

What Lottie said, Mith. As I recall, I was lynched that game for clarifying a rule for someone.

In any case, the only actual game-related thing thus far that I see is Bom and his stated intention to vote Sally "if nothing better comes along", and Nerwen pointing it out, to which I also would like an answer, Bom.

Also, if Nilp is evil, then Mith is too! It's genetic! :p

Mithalwen 06-26-2011 06:09 AM

I knew madness was someting that you inherited from your children but evil? Anyway I refuse to believe my boy is evil were he hanged on the highest hill... :D

Interesting - I usually think not knowing the rules is suspicious - which mean Bom is looking interesting ... rule query, first post and this offer to more or less "mercy lynch" Sally. I have been in games where even one of those was a fast track to the gallows on Day One....Shasta..i am really beginning to understand your nerves! But would also be interested to hear Bom answer Nerwen's question.

I suppose the North Americans are still asleep but I can only assume that the Europeans had a much more exciting and tiring Saturday night than me!

Galadriel55 06-26-2011 07:32 AM

Awake and reading...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 657414)
I was really impressed by that til I noticed Galadriel55 no longer had a Russian sig...so much for powers of observation.

At, what it it your time? 2am? If I lose all my powers of observation at about 11pm....

And some other Russian siggy will be up after the game is over. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund (Post 657417)

'Course not! Who puts faith in Ordo-reveals?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund (Post 657429)

Do you want me to vote you for jumping onto conclusions? There hardly have been any posts! (and come on, Lottie gave you a compliment, and you call her a wolf?! That's not nice!)

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-26-2011 08:30 AM

Replies OF DOOM!

@ Nerwen: Alice says 'Hi! :) ' (She is, by the way, the sanest of my alter-egos.)

@ Shasta: Can evil be transferred non-genetically, though? She has, as I have once said, motherhood thrust upon her. And since she has not yet left me to the wolves (I think), she is not evil.

@ Galadriel55: I'm a wolf, lynch me pl0x. :p

And although Lottie gets cookies and reps for almost sweeping me off my feet, it must be said that our goal here is to rid our company of evil. And since she has drunk coffee, and coffee is evil, she is most definitely one.

(Mum Mith drank coffee, too, but since the motherhood postulate mentioned above holds, she cannot be evil.)

Since there's a good chance I'll be around before end of DAY, I shall hold my vote (gee, I wonder who I'll vote for? :Merisu: ) 'til then.

/me awaits Nogrod's posts