The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Would YOU recommend it? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=14031)

zifnab 07-02-2007 10:44 AM

Would YOU recommend it?

First off, please accept my apologize if this is a thread-restarter.

I've had 'The Children of Hurin' in my shopping cart at SFBC.com for months now, but due to back-ordering/the club closing down/and me not paying bills on time, I have not received it. Now before I do receive it my main question is...

Would you recommend it?

I can read reviews from here to Timbuktu about the prose, the plot, the ideas, the suggestions. But I figured I'd ask my fellow 'downers to help me with this one.

So ... would you? And why would you?

Hilde Bracegirdle 07-02-2007 10:55 AM

Most definitely, even if you have read about Turin in the other books available.

Bêthberry 07-02-2007 01:06 PM

Yes.

Because.

Legate of Amon Lanc 07-02-2007 01:14 PM

100% YES.

Just look at what this has done to me.

luthien-elvenprincess 07-02-2007 04:47 PM

Yes, I read it through in two evenings because it was so good. I didn't want to put it down the first night...but I had to work the next day!

Rune Son of Bjarne 07-02-2007 05:44 PM

I went out and bought it at once (for some reason it was on sale from day 1), but I only just started reading it a few days ago.

It is alright so far, but it is not like there is anything exeptionally new about it. . . what it does is that it makes the story for Turin easier and depending on your mood more enjoyable to read.

Now you don't have to read the UT and the Sil at the same time :)

Morthoron 07-02-2007 07:43 PM

I look at it as another piece to literature's largest jigsaw puzzle. What is infuriating is that I know the puzzle will never be complete, but like a madman I keep brooding over it.

*The Dark Elf's eyes blink rapidly and there is a slight tremor in his hand*

Ummm...what were we talking about?

Elmo 07-03-2007 08:52 AM

I don't know, you may need to read the Silmarillion to get a good idea of what's going on. That's not everybody's cup of tea but I personally love it.

zifnab 07-03-2007 10:58 AM

Response

Hilde - I do love those tales.

Bethberry - Blargy... :rolleyes:

Morthoron - If you are referring to a 'collection', then I understand. And I'm trying to stop my materialistic behaviors if it's at all inescapable. Regurgitated story? Then I can hold back. New and improved? Well then...

Rune Son of Bjarne - So, it's a good narrative ficitional? Better then the other stories?

Elmo - I have already read it (Silm), and enjoyed it. My main question was 'Does it read better then the Silm'. Wait ... maybe it was 'Is it worth it?'. Why buy another version of a tale I already have?

-

Thinlómien 07-03-2007 11:08 AM

Yes. Some characters are just so much deeper, more believable and more lovely in CoH. It's worth the money (especially if you dad's paying some of it :p ;).

Elmo 07-03-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zifnab
Elmo - I have already read it (Silm), and enjoyed it. My main question was 'Does it read better then the Silm'. Wait ... maybe it was 'Is it worth it?'. Why buy another version of a tale I already have?

It's a very beautiful volume with lovely hand painted pictures. It also has, as Thinlomien says more depth in the characters, more detail in the narrative so my opinion is buy, buy, buy.

Rune Son of Bjarne 07-03-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zifnab (Post 526918)
Rune Son of Bjarne - So, it's a good narrative ficitional? Better then the other stories?

-

Yes it is. . .

What other stories? Stories in genneral or just the stories of Turin ? (like in the Sil)

The story of Turin is not my favourit, so in the respect no.

Compared to the story of Turin in the Sil it is more detailed and compared to the UT it is more readable. . .

I am glad I bought my copy, but I do not regard it as one of those books that you just got to have.

Knight of Gondor 07-04-2007 07:29 PM

Having read the tale of Turin in The Silmarillion (and I think some of it was featured in Unfinished Tales, or perhaps the Book of Lost Tales Part 1), it is one of the darkest and most depressing stories I have ever read.

Is there anything besides the tale of Turin that would recommend the book to my attentions?

ninja91 07-13-2007 03:32 PM

Yes, especially if you have read most of Tolkien's works, including the Silmarillion. Not reading it would be like missing out on a whole era of Arda's history.