The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Copncerning the Ent Moot..... (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1252)

Gashberz 02-02-2004 10:01 PM

Copncerning the Ent Moot.....

Hey all, my friend told me something about the ent moot was actually supposed to be called ent meet, but it was screwed up in some publishing things of the books, and Proffeser Tolien decided not to change it cause he liked ent moot better. Is this true?

Gashberz 02-02-2004 10:02 PM

whoops sorry its Tolkien!! (damn my infernal fat fingers!!!)

(Moderator's note - You can edit your own post; that's better than adding a new one. Just click on the edit button above the post, change the word(s) in the box (you can correct the title at the same time), then click on "Edit Post". When you've done that, you can delete this one - "edit" button again, check "Delete Post" box at top left, then "Edit Post" at the bottom.)

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:17 AM February 03, 2004: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]

Finwe 02-02-2004 10:04 PM

Umm... could you somehow back that up with a quote or something? I'd find it hard to believe that the company would make that much of a mistake, while editing the books. If they had, Tolkien would have written about it probably somewhere in his Letters.

Althern 02-03-2004 02:04 AM

Moot has a number of meanings related to the discussion of ideas. First, as a noun, it has an archaic English (i.e. used in England) definition as a rural meeting. Then more currently, as an adjective, a sense to describe a point that is open to argument, e.g. this point is moot, and another to indicate that a point has no practical significance. Finally, moot can be used as a verb in both senses to bring a question into discussion or consign it to being of no further worth discussing. Then of course, there is the moot court, used in law schools as a fictitious institution in which to argue hypothetical or moot cases.

Therefore, moot is the obvious choice to describe a meeting of Ents, who more than anything, love to spend large amounts of time considering an issue from all directions, and I am sure that Tolkien used the word intentionally.

Kransha 02-03-2004 07:25 AM

Moot is the word he meant to use. It actually means something very similar to the idea of an "Ent Meet" as you called it. This particular use of the word moot stopped being used decades ago, but existed for the time of Tolkein. Since the story of LotR is archaic, it makes sense to use this word.

One of the definitions of moot is...
Quote:

Moot - An archaic term used to describe a debate or duscussion of events, to come to a decision in a set amount of time; similar to a committee, meeting, council
<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:27 AM February 03, 2004: Message edited by: Kransha ]