The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   True or False-Movie Version! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10510)

Gil-Galad 03-23-2004 04:41 PM

True or False-Movie Version!

i have not seen any ToF threads around so i'll start one, but only about the movies

Haldir died in Middle Earth

Lindolirian 03-23-2004 04:43 PM

Wait a sec, is it True or False contrasting the book to the movie, or just the movie? Cause in the Movie, yes Haldir died in Middle Earth, but in contrast to the books, he lives.

Gil-Galad 03-23-2004 04:51 PM

correct! and it can be both, doesn't really matter

Lindolirian 03-23-2004 05:33 PM

I'm still confused. Was the answer true because he did die in the movie or false because the movie was different from the book?

The Saucepan Man 03-23-2004 07:34 PM

Further Guidance

There is another True or False game here, but since that covers both the films and the books, and this game covers the films only, this one is fine to continue.

In answer to Lindolirian's question, I would say that the answer should be based upon what happened in the films. So, for example, if the first statement was "Arwen rode with Frodo to the Ford of Bruinen", the correct answer would be "true", whereas if it was "Frodo rode on Glorfindel's horse to the Ford of Bruinen", the correct answer would be "false". Therefore, the correct answer to "Haldir dies in Middle-earth" must be "true". Does that make sense?

Also, as was discovered on the other thread, if someone answers "true" and the answer is "false" (or vice versa), the correct answer will be obvious to the next person posting. In other words, without more, there is a 50:50 chance of getting the answer correct. To overcome this, I would suggest that anyone answering "false" must also state the correct state of affairs relevant to the question (from the films).

For example:

Q: Merry and Pippin joined Frodo and Sam on their journey to Rivendell at Crickhollow.
A: False. Merry and Pippin joined the journey in Farmer Maggot's field.

If the answer "false" is given without the correct explanation, the questioner will be entitled to state simply that the answer is wrong, and leave it at that. Obviously, when answering "True", no more need be said.

OK. On with the game ...

Lindolirian 03-23-2004 07:40 PM

Hmmm Thanks for clearing that up Pan Man.
Well Doesn't seem to be my cup of tea (kinda simplistic) with the whole
Quote:

if someone answers "true" and the answer is "false" (or vice versa), the correct answer will be obvious to the next person posting.
so, I'll just post the next question and get on my way...

True or False? The Hobbits got their swords from the Barrow Downs.

The Saucepan Man 03-23-2004 07:42 PM

False. The Hobbits got their swords from Aragorn after leaving Bree.

Lindolirian 03-23-2004 07:43 PM

Yuppers...

The Saucepan Man 03-23-2004 07:52 PM

Thank, Lindol. :)

True or False? Legolas tells Aragorn that the Orcs that have captured Merry and Pippin are headed north-west to Isengard.

The Perky Ent 03-23-2004 08:54 PM

False! To my recolection, which is very good for an ent, Legolas says
Quote:

The Uruk's turn Northeast! They're taking them to Isengard! Saruman!
So it's Northeast, not Northwest!

Nimikôi Angarauko 03-23-2004 09:31 PM

but that doesnt make sense, geographically speaking, amon hen is east of isengard, as we all know, so to head from amon hen to isengard one would go west. Now the river isen basically goes due south through the gap of rohan so to say isengard is north east they would have to be dunland and if they were to go north east from dunland they would come on the non-wooded side of the mountains, and with all these things said it would make no sense to say north east unless it was some strange typo.

The Perky Ent 03-23-2004 10:09 PM

I'm aware of that fact, but that's the way Orlando said it! Mabey it was a good take or something! I don't know :rolleyes:

Nimikôi Angarauko 03-24-2004 07:52 AM

i think my dain is bramaged new question please before my head explodes

The Saucepan Man 03-24-2004 08:09 AM

Clueless Elf!

Yup! He may have keen eyesight, but the hearthrob Elf has a lousy sense of direction. :D

You are quite right, Perky Ent. It was an error that, amazingly, no-one apparently spotted during filming or editing and, even more amazingly, was not over-dubbed for the Extended Edition.

The floor is yours, Perky. :)

Nimikôi Angarauko 03-24-2004 01:12 PM

well to be a bit off topic here the extended editions aren't perfect they have their mistakes like in fellowship extended in one of the documentaries, can't remember which one, Bree is depicted at the southern most tip of the old forest but yeah any who take it perk.

The Perky Ent 03-24-2004 08:31 PM

Pippin fought a troll at the Battle of the Black Gate. True or False? :eek:

NightKnight 03-25-2004 11:50 AM

It's months since I watched it...but false? I don't think there were any trolls there?

Nimikôi Angarauko 03-25-2004 02:37 PM

It is true, though they did not actually show the troll attack they something about it on cormallen fields, if i'm not mistaken.

The Perky Ent 03-25-2004 04:37 PM

Nope! None are right:p, although KN is on the right track...

Arestevana 03-25-2004 05:10 PM

False. I believe it was Gimli who fought the troll.

Gil-Galad 03-25-2004 06:11 PM

False Aragorn fought the Udun Troll

The Perky Ent 03-25-2004 07:55 PM

And the winner is....*drum roll*...Gil-Galad. According to the book, Pippin fought a troll, but because we need to pack in as much viggo action as we can get, Aragorn fought the troll. If you recall, if Frodo didn't destory the ring, according to the movie, Aragorn would have been killed by the troll....not that they wouldn't be killed anyway if frodo hadn't destoryed the ring ;)

Gil-Galad 03-26-2004 06:40 PM

Pippin was with Gandalf when he went out to help Faramir and the rest of the Osgiliath defenders

NightKnight 03-27-2004 05:26 AM

False. Gandalf rode alone.

Arvedui III 03-27-2004 12:23 PM

True. Pippin was with him. Why he was, I dunno.

Gil-Galad 03-28-2004 04:59 PM

Avredui is correct!

Arvedui III 03-30-2004 08:00 PM

Cool. Herm...True or False? Faramir warned Frodo and Sam about Gollum?

The Perky Ent 03-30-2004 09:09 PM

Well....i think true, because Faramir warned Frodo and Sam that if they didn't come, they'd shoot Gollum...so i'd say True!

Gil-Galad 03-31-2004 08:11 AM

i think false... Faramir only talked to Gollum about the Cirith Ungol path, not frodo and sam

Elentarimir 03-31-2004 11:59 AM

I would say True because in the small extended scene, Faramir questioned Gollum about Cirith Ungol, and then warned Frodo and Sam against going that way. I think he said there was a nameless terror that haunted that pass or something...

Estel'sAngel 03-31-2004 04:02 PM

The answer to the question is true, I believe Faramir said: "Be careful, there is evil in his heart." or something to that affect in the movie, right before he grabs Gollum by the throat and says--> "If I find out you harmed them..." again, something to that affect. LOL...

So true, they were warned by Faramir.

Arvedui III 04-05-2004 05:06 PM

And the answer is...True. He warned Frodo and Sam about Cirith Ungol in the EE. Very nice scene, that. So Elentarimir has it. Good job.

The Perky Ent 06-14-2004 08:39 PM

*babershot quartet* 10 day rule, 10 day rule, 10 day rule, 10 day rule!!!!

True or False, Arathorn killed the orc with the shrunken head on its helmet, and Theoden killed the Pink orc commanding the orcs at Pelennor. Have fun!

Fingolfin II 06-15-2004 01:25 AM

False, because Arathorn wasn't in the movies but his son Aragorn was? Is that a trick question or a mistake?

Gil-Galad 06-15-2004 06:47 AM

darn...got to me before you! well its false for both anyway...though a Rohirrim did kill Gothmog

The Perky Ent 06-15-2004 06:34 PM

D'oh! Stupid typo! You would be wrong Gil-Galad, had I not maken that mistake. It's because in my RPG i'm running, I play Arathorn. I use the word so much more the Aragorn now, and they're very familiar. Anyways, your right. Arathorn didn't kill the two headed orc :rolleyes: and Theoden didn't kill Gothmog. If anything, he was trampled by the horses. BTW, what's with his name, Gothmog? Isn't that suppost to be the Lord of the Balrogs or something? Anyways, your right!

Gil-Galad 06-16-2004 06:43 AM

whos right? me? well there were many debates about Gothmog, too me i think hes a dark numenoreon(sp?) who took that name too be honoured among the forces of evil, that or tolkien ran out of names...

Lady of the Pants 06-23-2004 02:43 AM

8 days down, 2 to go if Gil-Galad doesn't ask something. ;)

Sorry to be impatient, but True or False is easier than the other threads. :D

Gil-Galad 06-23-2004 07:16 AM

patience...i like a dramatic entrance...or comeback whichever!

very easy

what did Sam say after Frodo got stabbed and they carried him into the Trollshaws

Lindir 06-23-2004 10:35 AM

Was it , "look frodo, bilbo's trolls." i dunno :rolleyes: