The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Happy Thanksgiving! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5415)

Arwen Imladris 10-14-2002 01:54 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

For all the Canadians here, have a great thanksgiving!

Things I am thankful for:
That I have LOTR to watch
That I have LOTR books to read
That I can visit the Barrow Downs

What things are you thankful for?

hobbitlass 10-14-2002 04:25 PM

*head hanging down in shame*
I thought Thanksgiving was only a United States thing. *oh the ignorance*
Is Canadian Thanksgiving like ours as in pilgrims and indians (native Americans)? I know Canada is part of North America, but are you celebrating for the same reasons (other than thankfulness)? And I assume it is today, or in November?

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!

hobbitlass 10-14-2002 04:27 PM

Oh Yea! I am thankful to learn something new everday. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Lady_Galadriel 10-14-2002 04:47 PM

Indeed... Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Elenna 10-14-2002 04:50 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadians!

And, incidentally, my best friend and I just went through a lot of Tolkien philosophizing and decided that the Elves moved to Canada, so you have a LOT to be thankful for!

Rose Cotton 10-14-2002 04:58 PM

Quote:

And, incidentally, my best friend and I just went through a lot of Tolkien philosophizing and decided that the Elves moved to Canada
Can I ask how you came to that conclusion?

Losthuniel 10-14-2002 05:35 PM

Elves in canada? if you don't mind my asking, why the HECK would they want to live here. Its a boring wasteland. And We've got a screwed up Liberal government to boot! ok, thats enough homeland bashing for now.

Hobbitlass, our thanksgiving is pretty different from yours. To be honest, i don't even know WHY we have one. I guess we liked the idea, and stole it from our southern neighbours. Meh. watever.

PS: all you canucks, go over to the Canadian Barrowdowners thread in the BarrowDowns section.

Arwen Imladris 10-14-2002 07:53 PM

Whoa!

Quote:

I thought Thanksgiving was only a United States thing.
????
Nope, it is in Canada as well, but obviosly at a different time. In Canada it is the 2nd monday in October. The Canadian Thanksgiving is also a bit different. In the US (please correct me if I am wrong, I've never had a US thanksgiving) Thanksgiving is much bigger, it is sort of a beginning to the Christmas holidays.

The Canadian Thanksgiving was started by some british explorer in Newfoundland, before the Mayflower or other pilgrems were really here.

The Canadian Thanksgiving is earlier because our harvest is earlier because it gets colder sooner up here.

Quote:

Elves in canada? if you don't mind my asking, why the HECK would they want to live here. Its a boring wasteland. And We've got a screwed up Liberal government to boot! ok, thats enough homeland bashing for now.
Oh boy there is patriotism for ya! Where do you live in Canada? I would hardly call it a boring wasteland. Where I live right now, all of the trees are changing colour and are very beautiful right now. In the summer there are 3 beaches within walking distance from my house. In the winter there are many different activities you can do, skiing, skiing... Canada has been called the best place in the world to live in. Most of the people have plenty of food, money, shelter. What is there not to like? We have a lot to be thankful for.

Artanis 10-14-2002 08:11 PM

I took a trip to Canada last year for school (I live in Minnesota, it's not that far a drive.) and it was awesome! I had the best time at the Forks... And I think that if there were Elves still today, they would live in Canada. Heck, there are the best trees, lots of people are Green Party (that is just the U.S. equivilent name, forgive my ignorance) which is most likely the political party the Elves would be in, and there is lots of open space for them to sing to Elbereth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]... I think I might move there!

Galadrie1 10-14-2002 09:04 PM

I always thought Thanksgiving was a dumb holiday, especially in Canada, but it's an excuse to eat good food, so hey! why not celebrate?
About Thanksgiving in October: In the Anne of Green Gables books (which take place in Canada), they have Thanksgiving in November.... Hmmm....

hobbitlass 10-15-2002 11:57 AM

Thank you, Arwen Imladris, for the explanation.
Are there any other countries that celebrate Thanksgiving (perhaps under a different name)?

gralin musicteeth 10-15-2002 03:58 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAY CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!
TURKEY TURKEY TURKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKSGIVING IN OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!
THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CANADA!!!!!!!!!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Marillanna Sarnie 10-15-2002 04:24 PM

Yay! I had an awesome thanksgiving!
I am very thankful for everything Tolkien!

Artanis, you were at the Forks?...That means that you were in Winnipeg! Yay! I live there! (Where if the cold doesn't get you, the mosquitos will!
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

Diamond18 10-15-2002 04:51 PM

You know, that's what we say about Wisconsin in the summer, only it's "If the hummidity doesn't get you the mosquitoes will."

gollum*elf*pup 10-15-2002 05:12 PM

Yes, Happy belated Thanksgiving!!!
Personally, I had a horrible Thanksgiving, but I ate like a hobbit!!! Yummy. http://smilies.uniquehardware.co.uk/...ity/turkey.gif http://smilies.networkessence.net/ot...y/beerchug.gif

NazgulNumberTen 10-15-2002 05:22 PM

dances around ina headress...

Arwen Imladris 10-15-2002 06:20 PM

Quote:

I always thought Thanksgiving was a dumb holiday,
Come on! A whole day off of school? dumb? Indeed!

Artanis 10-15-2002 08:02 PM

Oh, yeah! We spent like two days in Wennipeg, and we just had such a blast! We went to the Forks, the really big movie screen and saw the show on Eygpt, and a thousand other things. The most memorable thing was this guy our group met at the Forks. We named his Jonny McPotsmoker, because he acted like he was high! LOL! Yeah, here in Minnesota, the misquitos will get you even if it is 40 below... not really. But they suck... no pun intended. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Galadrie1 10-15-2002 08:06 PM

Quote:

dumb? Indeed!
It is indeed a dumb holiday. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Arwen Imladris 10-16-2002 02:22 PM

Eh? That's not what I ment! *Arwen Imldris goes off in a huff*

I am thankful that I don't have to put up with Galadrie1's negativeness all of the time! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aylwen Dreamsong 10-16-2002 03:04 PM

It is a kinda stupid holiday, actually. At least we get three or four days off. Maybe even five, because sometimes they hold parent teacher conferences on Mon/Tues, then we have the rest of the week off!

So, I'm happy!

Precioussss 10-16-2002 03:06 PM

Canada is NOT a boring wasteland!!!!
HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT????????????
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
and we did not steal the idea of thanksgiving from the US, we are very thankful and besides, what's wrong with a long weekend?
CANADA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brinniel 10-16-2002 04:38 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, all you Canadians! (Ok, I'm a few days late, but oh well.)

Can't say Thanksgiving is my fav holiday. I always get a stomach ache that day. Too much food! Ol' Abe Lincoln should've made Thanksgiving 3 days like it originally was. That way we could spread out the feasting. And instead of 2 and a half days off school, I would have a week! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanksgiving is not completely pointless. (Well, not in the US at least.) To me, it means not only is Christmas just around the corner, but so is the release of TTT! To me, Thanksgiving is a barrier to the holiday season. Once I get past it, I tend to lighten up a bit more. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Losthuniel 10-16-2002 04:44 PM

oi! Precioussss, calm. Toronto(well, my neighbourhood) IS pretty boring. I too, love long weekends. I don't really have anything against Thanksgiving (as Galadrie1 said, Its a chance to eat good food, and we get a day off)And iam not well-versed in history, so please excuse me.

TolkienGurl 10-16-2002 04:45 PM

Thanksgiving is not a dumb holiday. Everyone should be thankful for all that has been given to them in life.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! (Canada) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Happy Early Thanksgiving! (USA) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Artanis 10-16-2002 08:45 PM

Wait, you speak German? I speak (eni bischian) German, and what I spell, I spell phoneticly, and oftentimes, not even that... Oh well... I'm still learning... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Precioussss 10-17-2002 01:08 PM

Losthuniel!!!
come to Newfoundland. it's never boring here. unlike Canada, we know how to have FUN!!!!!!!!

Arwen Imladris 10-17-2002 03:31 PM

Quote:

come to Newfoundland. it's never boring here. unlike Canada, we know how to have FUN!!!!!!!!
Please excuse my geography skills, but, isn't Newfoundland part of Canada? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Precioussss 10-17-2002 06:25 PM

geographically it is, but not mentality-wise. sorta a nova scotia-cape breton thing, only ours runs deeper. good ol newfoundlander obstinance!! we've only been a part of Canada for 53 out of 500 years, ya know!

Arwen Imladris 10-22-2002 02:59 PM

Oh, O.K. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Arwen Melian 11-04-2002 05:50 PM

First off, Canada is not a wasteland. Have you ever been to Quebec city? With all due respect. Secondly, why would a celtic/ norse based character(an elf) be in modern day Canada(with all due respect.)Actually it makes more sense for them too be in New Zealand, Ireland ,or Alaska.
P.S. Don't take me too seriously. I'm joking as well.

Ktflwrs 11-06-2002 06:56 AM

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]Don't be upset if the elves went to Canada, its more beautiful there then here in the US anyway. I cannot think of any other place I would go, except maybe the states of Washington or Oregon anyway. At least I find the peace and quiet Elves might require there, and I'm an elf. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Arwen Imladris 11-07-2002 04:10 PM

Thanks Filanndriel! Where do you live/where have you been in Canada?