The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I met a fellow BDer!! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4594)

Samwise 07-25-2002 01:28 PM

Sorry it took me so long to say so, but I enjoyed our meeting veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryvery
much, too, Miss Rae...hugs to your hubby and sweet kidlets, for me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:

*Frodo turns* "What's it? "
*Sam* "If I take another step, I'll be farther from home than I've ever been."

Lothiriel Silmarien 07-27-2002 01:53 PM

Lush, glad to see your back also!!! I just got back from a trip, but I still missed you! Ooh, German men....anything interesting in that department? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Lush 07-28-2002 04:14 PM

Quote:

Ooh, German men....anything interesting in that department?
Yes, yes, it was all very "interesting." I'm sure that Esty remembers the day she and I had lunch, and how I was debating whether or not I was going to do anything "interesting" that night. I had resolved not to, and Esty was my witness, but I ended up breaking all my promises to myself as soon as we said goodbye at the train station. Nevertheless, Esty's influence on me was a positive one, as I'm sure she knows. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Marileangorifurnimaluim 08-01-2002 12:58 PM

Well, I would be more than happy to tip a few with any of you. Rae, I live in Seattle, up on Capital Hill. Didn't you say you live across the Sound? And I think Obloquoy lives in Spokane.

Lush, *clinks glasses* Welcome back. Seems we went on vacation at around the same time. Sigh. Good to be back, isn't it?

-Maril

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]

Turambar 08-01-2002 03:15 PM

Quote:

(Bethberry) "and my daughter was tickled pink to discover that Gandalf is indeed a magician."
Well you gotta explain that one, Bb. Gandalf the Grey does magic ????

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: Turambar ]

Lush 08-01-2002 03:51 PM

Ah yes, it is good to be back. This forum has been my consolation in the face of a fading summer season complete with absent friends, student loan applications to fill out, and whiny e-mails to a German now thousands of miles away. It's good to see Maril here (hope everything is working out with Maril) and Turambar (where the hell has he been?).
I hope that next summer there will be more opportunities to meet fellow BDers. Maybe even Sharkey will concede to suffer through a lunch with me the next time I'm in Germany. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The Green Ringwraith 08-02-2002 08:40 AM

Well, when I finish German 104 (I'm just starting German 101 this year, so maybe... 10th? 11th grade?) I'll get to go to Germany as a reward trip. I have kewl parents, but they too are hung up on the "'Net predator" which I believe in too but... Does anyone go to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina in June? Or... goes to the Shakepeare Festival in Montgomery, Alabama?

the phantom 08-02-2002 10:40 AM

Hey Nevfeniel, I was in North Texas last week, but I'm afraid I won't be back for a year or so. I'm wondering, is there anybody from Iowa, Missouri, or Illinois? I'll be going through those states next week.
Anybody from Nebraska? That's where I live.

Turambar 08-02-2002 11:57 AM

(Hobbit children gather around Bethberry)

"Please please tell us the story of Gandalf the Wizard's magic tricks. C'mon we're not tired . . . [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: and now I think of it, please tell the story in rhyming couplets.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 02, 2002: Message edited by: Turambar ]

Turambar 08-02-2002 12:28 PM

With two minds contributing and three weeks to work on it, we expect something of the length of The Rape of the Lock.

P.s. "slant" rhymes are permitted.

P.p.s Think how many things rhyme with "Bethberry" and "Gandalf the Grey" - should be easy.

Lady_Báin 08-09-2002 03:53 PM

does anyone live in minnasota or utah or anywhere betwix. I'll be visiting the u.s. with my mum in october(?) and it would be a lot of fun to meet up with someone. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] any takers oh *tear* I thought not.

*goes to weep histericly*

Ithaeliel 08-09-2002 08:22 PM

Question: Besides me and Brinn, do we have any southwest Idaho/Northern Nevada/Eastern Oregon residents? I know GreatWarg lives near Carson City. Anyone else?

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-13-2002 05:34 AM

Almost on the same subject: are there any British spirits out there? Reading may not be the social hub of Christendom, but it has excellent rail connections, and anyone who happens to be visiting this green and pleasant land (poor fools) may well pass through my neck of the woods on their way to such places as Stratford-Upon-Avon and Oxford. I also have friends in Nottingham and Colchester, in case anyone happens to be visiting those places when I'm there.

If any of the above applies to you (and for some reason the pleasure of my company appeals to you) then drop me a line, as Estelyn has already done (looking forward to it, E). It would be nice to be able to hold a conversation in which my execrable typing isn't a handicap.

Lothiriel Silmarien 08-13-2002 11:17 AM

I'd love to go to England. I always wanted to go. Well, when I move there in...um...probably 5 or 6 years, then I'll have to visit you!

Alkanoonion 08-14-2002 02:49 AM

With all the talk of people meeting other members Please and I stress please take an older person with you. The world is not a safe place and with people posting pictures in one topic and addresses in others the danger increases. Predators are not stupid. In one topic people state the state they live and in others they tell people where they are going on holiday. This is not safe. If you must meet other people take a friend with you. Sorry for being off topic but with recent cases on the news I was concerned.
Take care Al

Maikadilwen 08-14-2002 04:12 AM

I'm pretty sure I would need to have someone with me if I was going to meet Squatter. Hmmm, maybe Lush would like to come with me... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-14-2002 04:44 AM

I couldn't agree more, Alkanoonion, although it's very sad that we have to say these things. Be very careful what you post here, everyone: not everyone who reads these threads will be doing so with innocent intent.
Also bear in mind that meeting people you know from internet sites can be risky: never go alone; always meet in public places where there will be plenty of people, although that's not a guarantee of safety; and try to check up on people before agreeing to anything. We all see the news (I hope) and we know what the risks are, so exercise caution and common sense at all times.

Sorry about that. Don't like to bring people down, but these things have to be said.

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-14-2002 04:52 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I would need to have someone with me if I was going to meet Squatter. Hmmm, maybe Lush would like to come with me...
Me and my big mouth. I would, of course, feel obliged to bring company of my own: Lush is a bit of a predator herself. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Lush 08-14-2002 04:00 PM

Who? Moi? Sweet, innocent Lush? Waaaah!!!

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-15-2002 04:56 AM

Oui. Vous, Mademoiselle Lush. You're not fooling anyone, you know. I've seen that shameless display on Malbeth the Seer. Most unladylike. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Maikadilwen 08-15-2002 08:29 AM

He he... Nothing wrong in being shameless, eh, Lush? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But surely you wouldn't have a piano dangling over MY head, would you? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]

Lush 08-15-2002 04:48 PM

Yes, Squatter, I am no Arwen. I am, however, a lady. Just one who knows what she wants. Not everyone likes to sit in the background you know. Not everyone has composure.

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-15-2002 04:53 PM

We wouldn't want you any other way, I can assure you.

Marileangorifurnimaluim 08-15-2002 05:36 PM

No Arwen? Thank goodness! Eh, well, you know my feelings about her appalling swordsmanship. *Maril sheaths weapon and attempts to appear demure.* Many thanks to the gentle, kindly "Uncle Alk," for the timely and intelligent advice.

-Maril

Estelyn Telcontar 08-21-2002 02:52 AM

Second BD encounter for me: I'm visiting (Tar-)Míriel in London! We've known each other from chatting for months and now we have gotten to know each other as real people! It was a bit strange at first, meeting someone who was well-known on the one hand and yet a stranger. Now the images have merged to make one whole person and we are enjoying our time together. More later...

Lush 08-21-2002 09:00 PM

Are you guyes chowing down on mushrooms yet? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-22-2002 02:09 PM

I think there were some mushrooms in the huge dollop of rice that ended up in front of me. It was great fun, once we'd got over all of us having actual faces and voices: we ended up drinking opposite the British Museum in a pub that looked like a museum itself. Esty and Miriel have pictures. Meeting other Downers is definitely a strange experience, but well worth it. It's great to be able to join in the conversation without putting down one's pint.

Lush 08-22-2002 08:42 PM

So Squatter, who's the alcoholic now? I did not have a drop of anything that came CLOSE to alcohol while out with Esty. It did wonders for my speech. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-23-2002 04:40 AM

Have I ever called you an alcoholic? If I have then I must have been drunk at the time. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I've no objection to a nice sociable drink; and what could be better than another sociable drink to follow? Besides, four pints of bitter is hardly a binge.

Raefindel 02-18-2003 10:24 PM

Yippee! Yippee! I met Helen, Mark 12:30!

We had the best time in Poulsbo. We shopped and had coffee, and never ran out of things to talk about.

Helen is the tallest Hobbit I've ever met! (Pictures soon to follow) Yes! Third times a charm, we both remembered our cameras!( I forgot it when I met Samwise and Maril.)

When I had to go home I brought her with me and we watched FOTR and ate dinner. She made me a box for my LOTR books (the creative lady!)

She bought me a teapot which I rudely forgot to use while she was here. I used it this morning, Helen. It's beautiful!

Helen is wonderful and I'm so glad I got to meet her!

Samwise 02-18-2003 10:53 PM

Sigh.

Gandalf_theGrey 02-18-2003 11:01 PM

* smiles at the merry meeting of Helen and Raefindel * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lush 02-18-2003 11:02 PM

*brimming with jealousy*

I have wanted to meet Helen since the summer.

Congratulations, though, on having such a splendid time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-18-2003 11:21 PM

We are going to try to meet again Thursday. I wish I could have taken her to Seattle, you can often see 1000-lb sealions from the ferry, and occasionally even a whale!

Gorwingel 02-19-2003 12:32 AM

I wish I could have come, Glad you had a great time though. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-19-2003 03:14 AM

As many of you may know, our esteemed colleague Rimbaud, the Perilous Poet, is moving back to his native England later this year. I'm very much looking forward to meeting him for a convivial drink or six.

Arien 02-19-2003 04:48 AM

I supose being related does not really count as having "met" a fellow BDer. Ah well, in the future may I have the pleasure of meeting a BDer, but for now as I sit and stay young..( I hate it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] cant go any where!) I can just post and read of the times people have met.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Mithadan 02-19-2003 09:17 AM

BW, Sharku, Mr Underhill and I have been monitoring this thread and others like it. While we understand why members would want to meet one another, we are a bit concerned and wish to emphasize that care must be taken if you choose to arrange such a meeting.

First, the Barrow-Downs itself is not involved in organizing such meetings and does not intend to be in the future. These meetings are arranged by individuals or groups of individuals and we take no responsibility for the outcome. The decision to meet is made by individual members at their own risk. We are not providing transportation, accomodations or security and are not involved in the choice of locale or the agenda.

If you choose to meet, individually or in groups, please think it through, plan carefully and be careful! Meet in public with other persons present. Make sure that others know where you are going and who you are meeting. Think twice before providing personal information to other members such as e-mail addresses, telephone numbers or home addresses and do not send anyone money or credit card information.

We're sorry to throw a wet blanket over this but we are concerned about peoples' safety and want to emphasize that this is not an "official", sanctioned event sponsored by the Barrow-Downs. If you choose to meet, good luck and we hope that you enjoy yourselves. But please be careful!

Raefindel 02-23-2003 07:07 PM

Thanks to Alkanoonion, the pictures are now posted on his Bree site.

Helen and I did indeed get to meet one more time before she went home, but we did not go to Seattle together. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] We will try that next time.

Eressië Ailin 02-23-2003 07:14 PM

Anyone live in Texas? Or Nebraska?