The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Word hallucinations (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5044)

Luinalatawen 03-11-2003 08:17 PM

Word hallucinations

Has anyone else ever glanced at a word and had to stop a second because you thought that word was LOTR-related? I have seen:

Billabong - Balrog
Star! - Istari

There were a few more too, but I can't remember them. It's weird though- makes you think you're crazy!

Shy Hobbit 03-11-2003 08:54 PM

Do I ever! And sometimes you actually see words that are middle earth related (to people like you and me anyways)

We drove by a building that said "Orc"

Instead of Enterprise, some buisnesses shorten to "Ent"

Anywho, here are some halucinations of mine.

Acorn: Aragorn

Boring: Boromir (no offense meant to Boromir!)

River: Rivendell

And the other day my dad couldn't remember the meaning of a word so he asked me "Grace, do you know what narcism means?" I nearly replied "Oh, that's Aragorns, but it's reforged now". I have more but I can't seem to think of them. Don't you hate it when that happens?

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 03-11-2003 08:57 PM

Agg! Yes!

Hello!-Mellon

There are more but I can't remember them as well. Ag! I remember I thought something said Elrond once...

Shy Hobbit 03-11-2003 09:14 PM

Random bits from the movie will pop into my head at times as well. This weekend we were supposed to be at a certain place, but couldn't find it. And we were in a huge city that I'm not used to, I've lived in the boonies so long. I kept thinking "I have no memory of this place" and the music for that scene was running through my head the whole time. Yeah, that's when I saw the building that said "Orc".

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-12-2003 12:42 AM

Quote:

Boring: Boromir (no offense meant to Boromir!)
I read this the same way. How depressing. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Far away: Faramir
Ballhog: Balrog
Argon (the element): Aragorn

There's a sign in my hometown that has "Rivendell" on it. I should take pictures.

eleanor_niphredil 03-12-2003 04:39 AM

The ear, nose and throat ward at the hospital is shortned to ENT ward. I could just imagine all the sick ents!

Sapphire_Flame 03-12-2003 11:55 AM

There's a neighborhood, complex, thing near me that's called Brandywine, if that counts for anything. Let's see......

habit => hobbit (This has given me an unfortunate tendency to spell habit with two b's. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] yikes.)

I'll be back if I think of more...

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]

Galenfea of Mirkwood. 03-14-2003 03:39 PM

I do the Argon / Aragorn thing all the time, and also Boron / Boromir. I have a problem with Periodic tables

dragoneyes 03-14-2003 04:28 PM

I always see 'took' and immediately think they've forgotten to capitalize the T. Then I remember took is a word, not just a name.

mark12_30 03-14-2003 04:31 PM

...and when I'm writing about Pippin, I keep catching myself writing things like, "he took a deep breath" or "he took another look" or "he took a moment" or "it took his breath away" or....

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-14-2003 06:20 PM

I just did the dumbest thing at the store. There was a sign saying that "Greenleaf Lettuce" was on sale. Naturally, I thought it said, "Greenleaf Legolas" and had to do a second and third take. Someone shoot me.

Vuelve 03-14-2003 06:51 PM

i also have the same habit/Hobbit problem. but i did catch myself when i switched them accidently on a test. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Eressië Ailin 03-14-2003 07:09 PM

Quote:

There was a sign saying that "Greenleaf Lettuce" was on sale. Naturally, I thought it said, "Greenleaf Legolas" and had to do a second and third take.
LOL!!! I've done that quite a few times. The first time it happened I was like, They can't sell Legolas. Wait... that's not Legolas, that's lettuce. Oh yeah... it is lettuce... And the thing was, I had said it out loud, so everyone was looking at me in a weird way. BTW, welcome to the Downs, Vuelve!!

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 03-15-2003 12:34 AM

my friend thought "babett" said "hobbit"
and on my DSL internet thing it says "ent ethernet"
i remember i saw token or something and i was all "what? does that say tolkien?" and i said it out loud too. my friends just gave me their oh-never-mind-its-just-becka look.

Lily Bombadil 03-15-2003 02:33 AM

Sometimes when I see Elton John written somewhere, I think it says Elrond & vice-versa. & if it counts for anything, my friend's dad always asks why all these girls love "LEGLESS". BTW I never knew that there was a real Brandywine River until I watched the History Channel.

------------------------
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow!

dragoneyes 03-15-2003 09:10 AM

Quote:

i remember i saw token or something
I saw that and immediately thought: 'You saw TOLKIEN!!?' Then I read the rest of the sentence and realised that I had indeed done the exact same things as you.

peonydeepdelver 03-20-2003 06:19 PM

Man, I do this soooo many times. token= Tolkien, boron= Boromir, argon= Aragorn or Agronath, habit= hobbit, but there's also a famous poet from my city named John Greenleaf Whittier and I'm like, "Wow, is he related to Legolas? Nah... he's a boring old poet." [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I also connect mirror with miruvor, peregrin falcon (a bird)= lil old Pip, and The Sims somehow gets repeatedly called The Silmarillion. Heck knows why... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 03-20-2003 06:30 PM

When we first got our periodic tables, me and my ONLY OTHER lotr crazed friend were poking each other and pointing out Boron and Argon. Hehehehe...
Also, I saw Riverdale on the TV and I was all What? Rivendell?

Firondoiel 03-21-2003 03:46 PM

There's this store called "Unfinished Works" and everytime I pass it I always have to do a double take because I think it says "Unfininshed Tales". You'd think I'd know by now that it doesn't. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] There was a time I was in a book store and they had a sign on a book shelf that said J-R. Yes I thought it said J.R.R. Tolkien and had to stop and stare at it to realize it didn't.

akhtene 03-27-2003 05:11 PM

Never thought I would start doing it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Today my sister brought a CD by Era. What do you think I read on the cover? Exactly! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Spent some time thinking what kind of Music it could be, then asked the sister to read the name aloud! I didn't tell her what the matter was.

Lathriel 03-27-2003 06:09 PM

In dutch an Elephant is called an Olifant. So each time I read it I think of Tolkein's Oliphaunt. Cause both words have about the same pronounciation! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Shy Hobbit 03-28-2003 10:17 AM

I saw a toothpaste box and thought it said "One Tube to rule them all" when it really said "Whiter teeth with One Tube, Guaranteed!"

If that's not a sign I need help, I don't know what is.

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-28-2003 12:25 PM

Hee hee, Shy Hobbit! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I saw some actor named Richard Olyphant or something of the sort and almost died laughing. Mom was the only other one who got it.

I was also writing last night and chanced to write "familiar", only I made a mistake and wrote "faramir". So I scribbled it out, shaking my head and started to write it again. "Faramir" popped up again... and again. So I have three scribbles in one sentence where "familiar" became "faramir". Shoot me.

Sindafalathiel 03-28-2003 01:31 PM

Wow...I'm not alone! Every time I hear/read anything about the battle of the Argonne Forest(WWI)I always have to look at it again...for some odd reason I always think Aragorn. There's also a street sign where I live that says Loth Lorian. Needless to say, I often get confused with that one.

VanimaEdhel 03-28-2003 01:44 PM

Today I said "Gala" and my mom said "What? Gollum?!" I have her so well-trained...maybe it's because she saw The Two Towers yesterday again with me (fourth time for her as well as me...aren't you proud of me for getting so many people addicted?).

peonydeepdelver 03-28-2003 04:55 PM

In school we're reading a book called Across 5 Aprils, it's about the Civil War, and the general store owner's name is Sam Gardiner. I often accidentally call him Sam Gamgee [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . And there's a mean guy in the town named Guy Wortman, and I always accidentally call him Grima Wormtongue. Then the schoolmaster's name is Shadrach, but once I called him Shagrat. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Oh yeah, NEVER read that book. At our school they bought like 50 copies of it, and 5 pages are missing, the rest are all scrambled up. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-28-2003 09:00 PM

Quote:

Then the schoolmaster's name is Shadrach, but once I called him Shagrat.
Ever heard the song "Shadrach, Mishak, Abednigo" (can't spell those names for the life of me)? I slip up many times and sing, "Shagrat, Mishak and Abednigo" instead. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 03-29-2003 12:26 PM

Yesterday I was in the car and on the radio the guy was all "Now for your E-M-T 411!" and to my mom I said "What? Did he say E-N-T? ENT? Hahahaa!" Then I was peeking at this book and it said Realms of Valor and I was like "VALINOR?!? Oh, damn. Valor." Then I was in the Body Shop and I saw a tube with 'Gingko Biloba' on it, and I thought it said Gingko Bilbo. Lastly, in our province there is a town called Gimli. I saw it on the news and I said, "Hee hee! Gimli! You know, from Lord of the Rings!...The dwarf's name is Gimli. You know, Gimli!...Yeah, I'll shut up now."

VanimaEdhel 03-30-2003 06:48 PM

There is apparently some clothing company called Croft and Barrow. Whenever I see their clothing, I go, "Barrow-Downs? Where?" And, if I see it out of the corner of my eye, I think I'm looking at something related to the Lord of the Rings, which causes a very audible gasp and spin, which leads to some very strange looks from other people.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 03-30-2003 07:17 PM

There is a region in Spain named Aragon. Needless to say I always seem to confuse that one. Every time I see the words fellowship or ring, no matter what context they are in, I start thinking about LOTR and then realize that whatever it was that I read was intended to mean something different. This often causes horrible puns, bcause one of my friend's last names is Ring. Heehee. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I somehow think that Boron is similar to Sauron... don't ask. There is a street in my neighborhood called Greenleaf. That always produces laughs. That's all for now. I'll go think of more word hallucinations I've had.

Arien Sunlight 03-31-2003 04:54 PM

Me wants to answer here!!

Well, the word "hobbies" with hobbits and as I'm mexican there's a word givin me a hard time "Legales" with "Legolas" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sapphire_Flame 04-02-2003 11:18 AM

Quote:

Ever heard the song "Shadrach, Mishak, Abednigo" (can't spell those names for the life of me)? I slip up many times and sing, "Shagrat, Mishak and Abednigo" instead.
How about "Shagrat, Grishnakh, and Abednigo"? We were talking about the original three in my Sunday School class and that leapt to my mind. My friend and I giggled over it for a good ten minutes, until our teacher told us to be quiet.

Another Sunday School one: Solomon => Saruman. We were reading this section about him and everytime someone read the name Solomon I wanted to yell, "It's Saruman!! Get it right!" [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] But, yeah, I didn't, but I should've...

dragoneyes 04-02-2003 01:36 PM

It wasn't written down, but there was an advert on the radio and all I heard was mumble mumble mumble barrow. I started listening and was going 'Barrow what? Wight? Downs?' It turned out to be a most boring advert, talking about wheel barrows though [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Salix 04-02-2003 01:42 PM

Actually, I have this game-with-bad-graphics that has a monster thing that's called a 'Barrow Wight'. The Wight family also comes with a Tunnel-Wight. The 'Barrow Wight' seems to steal constitution and dexerity. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Before it could attack me, I fire-bolted it to death.

Arathiriel 04-03-2003 12:50 AM

I saw a car license plate once that said:

"BigMoot"

And I thought of "Ent Moot" immediately...

Also there's a subdivision around here we pass by alot called "Riverdale"...

And let tell you if I knew for sure any Elves were living in its houses I'd be flying down its streets trying to see them!

the guy who be short 04-04-2003 11:44 AM

you people need help. but i'll admit to the argon = aragorn one.

Firondoiel 04-04-2003 12:05 PM

Quote:

you people need help.
Yeah, we know. Though it's not just with LOTR words that this happens to me.

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 04-04-2003 01:04 PM

Quote:

Though it's not just with LOTR words that this happens to me.
True, dat. All it takes is the glimpse of a capital X and a hyphen to set me off.

Loiter = LotR to the tired eye.

the guy who be short 04-04-2003 01:14 PM

this is off topic but... heres one reason i need help
in our dining room, our cabinet and fridge are next to each other. for some reason, i look in the cabinet for food and fridge for the calculator. happens all the time

Sapphire_Flame 04-04-2003 01:52 PM

yeah, I do that sometimes too.