The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Middle-Earth band names (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3474)

TealDude4 06-20-2003 12:55 PM

Middle-Earth band names

I've been planning on making a band. And I though that it would be cool if the band had a LotR related name. The band is going to be somewhere in the middle of Punk Rock and Heavy Metal. What do you guys think?

Rumil 06-20-2003 01:16 PM

ShagRat?

Meela 06-20-2003 05:54 PM

A Lotr related band, cool!

One already exists [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Dead Stewards Society sprang up a while ago, although it was forgotten just as quickly by all but me. Members include Denethor the Drummer on drums, Haldir the Hummer on vocals, and Strider the Strummer on guitar.
And myself on tambourine. Plus I'm their agent.

Do you want it to be an obvious Lotr name, or a subtle one? Cos right now all I can think of is obvious names like The Lorien Elves or whatever. I'd probably pick The Rangers for my own band.

TealDude4 06-20-2003 08:24 PM

I want more of a subtle band name.

Iarwain 06-20-2003 08:41 PM

I've got one for you! How about: Sammath Naur, or Tasarinan, or Tauremorna? Wonderful names, though I think Tauremorna is the only bandish one among them.

Iarwain

QuickSlash 06-20-2003 09:18 PM

If you look hard enough, you can find a band titled Galadriel.

Name? I suggest you make something out of elvish, or dwarvish, or whatever suits your fancy. Or take the Sil, look through the back, and find some obscure character. Find something close to heart.

Talon Stormcrow 06-21-2003 12:24 AM

Hmm I too have been thinking about this. Here are some ideas that I got them from the Simarillion Index [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Conquer
Ancalagon
Edain
Mourning
Black Glass--Helevorn a lake north of Thargelion
Sharp Glance--from Maeglin
Hanging Flame--from Glingal

Thats all I can come up with now but Ill prolly come up with more later hehe [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Gorwingel 06-21-2003 12:48 AM

Is it going to be really Heavy Metal? Because than you could have a name like Morgoth, pure evil [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]. That would be kind of cool, but that is really directly Middle Earth. If you want an elvish name I would probably look in the Sil too, it would have some good names that were not so reconizable that people would immidiately think "oh, that name is from LOTR"

I will try to think up some more ideas and get back to this thread [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Olorin 06-21-2003 08:44 AM

ME band name, good idea! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Shame I can't think of any. If one comes to me, I'll be back.

Noxomanus 06-21-2003 11:25 AM

Might be because I don't like rock at all,but you'd better make a gangsta-rapperscrew with a name like The Kinslayers or Killer Hai or Demons of Fire or something.

Tarien Ithil 06-23-2003 12:01 PM

I thought up a few:

The Undying Band

Lindale (this means “music”)

Vanima Raun (this means “beautiful noise”)

Varda Valasse (this means “exalted divinity”)

The Dwarvish Axemen

Hope you can use one! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Yavanna228 06-23-2003 12:08 PM

I hope I don't get in trouble for suggesting a member's name, but how about Hobbit Punk? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace

peonydeepdelver 06-23-2003 03:46 PM

Quote:

Conquer
Ancalagon
Edain
Mourning
Black Glass--Helevorn a lake north of Thargelion
Sharp Glance--from Maeglin
Hanging Flame--from Glingal
Hmmm, out of those I think hanging Flame suits a band the most, or Black Glass...

Talon Stormcrow 06-23-2003 09:26 PM

Yeah I was quite partial to Black Glass and Hanging Flame.

Vanima Raun sounds really cool [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but Im not sure for a metal/punk band

Benbo 06-24-2003 05:17 AM

The Black Riders

Yavanna228 06-24-2003 09:51 AM

Quote:

Vanima Raun (this means “beautiful noise&#8221 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Heh heh, 'noise' is right. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
How about...Desperate Seekers? Hm, I'm really not good at thinking up things like this. If ever I'm in a band, we'll be the Unnamed. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Peace

TealDude4 06-24-2003 11:19 AM

The Black Riders. How could I have missed that one! Welcome to the Downs, Benbo.

Lady_Galadriel 06-24-2003 03:59 PM

Yeah, the Black Riders would be cool!!
or Morgoth would be cool!!!!!
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Duncariel 06-25-2003 10:02 AM

How 'bout 'The Ringers'

oooo boy that was pathetic, sorry.

Finwe 06-25-2003 10:10 AM

I'm quite partial to The Kinslayers or Killer Hai. I love the last one! I think Hanging Flame and Black Glass are also good.

Silmiel of Imladris 06-25-2003 03:01 PM

Black Glass is a good one. If I had to chose anything I would go with that.

arianrod 06-27-2003 01:20 AM

Black Riders is good, but if you want one that sounds a bit more imposing you could be The Wraiths. Or you could take the number of people you have in your band, and the name could be that number in Elvish. That'd be cool.

Snowdog 06-27-2003 10:59 AM

Heavy Metal Punk... Hmm....

The ORCS or simply the ORCS

Though Shagrat would be good, except any non-Tolkien people in the club may think you guys get wierd after the show... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Finwe 06-27-2003 11:18 AM

I really like the name Shagrat for a band, although, like you said, non-Tolkienites would probably take it entirely the wrong way.

Duncariel 06-27-2003 07:23 PM

Killer Hai and Kinslayers are great names for a band. I'm especiall partial to Kinslayers, great for Heavy Metal/Punk.

Yavanna228 06-27-2003 09:24 PM

TealDude,
Just a caution- if your band ever makes it big, make sure that you can take the flack that alot of Tolkienites might give you for having a band with a Tolkien-related name. In fact, there's even a thread somewhere on here about that very thing, some band called Khazad Doom. But maybe you needn't worry. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Peace

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 06-27-2003 11:18 PM

If some of your band members are Downers, how about The Dead Ringers? I suggested that for the What are we? thread as well.

peonydeepdelver 06-28-2003 11:15 AM

You could also name the band The Oathbreakers, or something about the Paths of the Dead, I dunno, punk bands remind me of Gothic stuff, and Gothic stuff reminds me of death... I dunno, I'm weird... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 06-28-2003 06:58 PM

Here are my suggestions, for what they are worth.

I feel that Caradhras would make a great name for a band. And, being a cruel, blood-tinged peak, it seems suitable for the style of music that you play.

Or, on a more gothic theme, how about a werewolf name, like Carcharoth (Red Maw), or Draugluin (Blue Wolf).

[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Yavanna228 06-28-2003 07:48 PM

Agarwaen- 'blood-stained'
I don't know if that's the sort of name you're looking for, but, there it is.
Peace

Cuthalion 06-28-2003 08:17 PM

Hmmmmmmm...ok, here ya go:

Black Speech

The Void

Stormcrow

Just a few thoughts...

Lyta_Underhill 06-29-2003 09:40 AM

To whomever had suggested Shagrat as a band name--believe it or not, it was already taken, in the 70's, I believe. Former T. Rex member Steve Peregrin Took (no lie! He changed his name to this!) formed the band called Shagrat. I'm sure you can find a reference online. I found Mr. Took's website long ago while doing endless searches about Pippin!

Cheers,
Lyta

Balin999 06-29-2003 10:33 AM

Actually, I think there already is a band called Morgoth.

What about "The Grey Company"?
Hm, people who don't know LotR wouldn't know what it's about.
There is a death metal band called Amon Amarth which is acutally "Barad-Dur" in some other language.

Yavanna228 06-29-2003 10:35 AM

Amon Amarth means 'hill of doom' in Sindarin, I believe.
Peace

Cuthalion 06-29-2003 01:16 PM

Forgot this obvious one...FoeHammer.

Tarien Ithil 06-30-2003 12:04 PM

Hey, Balin,

Grey Comapany sounds like a really good band name! Hmmmm..wonder why I didn't think of that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Faramir the Ranger 07-04-2003 03:18 PM

Hey there I think the awesomest name for a lotr band would be the Drunken Hobbits, the Lead Guitarist would be Pippin, th Lead singer would be frodo, the Drummer would be sam and the bassist would be merry. there manager would be old bilbo himself

Atariel 07-05-2003 08:54 AM

Methinks "Stormcrow" sounds like a nice one. Or "Thorin Oakenshield and the Miners" but that's bordering on ridiculous.

Oddwen 07-05-2003 09:50 PM

What of "Sgt. Pippin's Lonely Pint's Club Band?"

Everdawn 07-06-2003 03:51 AM

Wraiths sounds a bit too much like the Waifs, who are a punk rock band... What about.. nah, i got nuthin'. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]