The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Admin Thread for Tol-in-Gaurhoth XVIII: The Cottage of Lost Play (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=15548)

Mnemosyne 07-05-2009 09:19 AM

Admin Thread for Tol-in-Gaurhoth XVIII: The Cottage of Lost Play

History

Beginning with a personal testimonial!

What really turned my mild fascination with the Barrow-downs to an obsession was Werewolf. I started reading games at number 2, and by the time the beautifully evil twist ending of number 3 was over, I was hooked.

Why?

Because it was good storytelling--something like a murder mystery--happening before my eyes.

So I had long ago decided that if I ever joined and modded a game I would want to hold a game that would be so good people would want to read along with it. This is that game.

Premise

If you choose to participate in this game, your primary motive is STILL victory for your team; however, your secondary motive is to make a good story. This is something that we should all work together towards--good, evil, and mod. I am not putting in place any sort of "third person roleplaying" rules--everyone may still post from the first person--but you are NOT allowed to break character. This means that if you have to go to sleep during a DAY phase, don't say anything about it! You're just gone in the game. Nothing off-topic should be placed in the game thread.

"Not breaking character" will not, however, be as difficult as it seems. Your role in this game for narrational purposes is a hybrid of yourself in real life and your Downsian persona. You can develop this character more fully if you'd like, but the main thing is that you should NOT be accustomed to killing.

Narrational background

The premise behind the game is this: you have all been invited to a mysterious and very nicely apportioned Tolkien-themed dinner (specific location to be determined) in a mansion that looks (at least from the outside) incredibly expensive and not a little ominous. You've been chosen for this particular dinner because you're all 'Downers, and the 'Downs is very well known for its bookish discussions. (As such, I would REALLY like to make a rule that you can't play this game unless you've read the books; however, I'm willing to overlook that.) All expenses are paid for.

Too bad the place is a death trap.

Logistics

The game itself will be a classic game. We will have three werewolves, one seer, and one ranger.

Werewolves will only be permitted to PM during the Night phase. After Night One, during each Night phase they may select one person to kill. Unless that person is protected by the Ranger, the victim will be found dead in the morning.

The Seer will send me the name of a person whose role he wishes to determine during each Night phase. I will PM that person back and inform him of the person's role.

The Ranger will send me the name of a person whom he wishes to save. If the Ranger picks the same person as the Werewolves, that person will not die. The person whom the ranger saved will be revealed in the game narration.

All remaining players will be villagers. It is their role to vote on a person to lynch during a Day phase. Werewolves and gifteds will, of course, also be participating in the Day phase as ordinary villagers.

Please cast your votes preceded by two "+" signs, bolded, and on a separate line, like this:

++Mnemosyne

In the event of a tie, for the first two ties only, both candidates will be killed. All ties thereafter will be determined by the flip of a coin.

DAYs will begin and end at 1900 GMT.

All Night picks must be sent to me two hours before the deadline (or 1700 GMT). Picks sent after that time will not be counted.

Narrational Help

For those who are interested in playing this game, I would like the following by PM:

A description of your character
Formal attire for the dinner
Informal attire for the remaining days
A description of what your room looks like
As many canonical Tolkienian deaths as you can think of

Feel free to lie on the first four if you are either a very private person or you think that the game would benefit from having answers other than the truth. I cannot guarantee a use of all of this information (which means maybe you CAN omit some), but I'd like to have a wide array to create some verisimilitude.

Sign-ups

As soon as we hit 13 players we're good to go. Please also let me know what time for deadline works best for you (I CANNOT do 21:00-4:00 GMT; a few hours after/before would work best for me).

Players:
Nessa Telrunya
Inziladun
Shastanis Athreduin
Pitchwife
McCaber
Nogrod
autume98
Boromir88
Lalaith
Nerwen
Rikae
Feanor of the Peredhil
Eonwe

Credits/Research
Just about everything J.R.R. Tolkien ever wrote
"Usher 2" by Ray Bradbury (from The Martian Chronicles)
The Prisoner starring Patrick McGoohan
The very first few TIG games

Shastanis Althreduin 07-05-2009 02:25 PM

I had hoped to be first signup. Woe.

Pitchwife 07-05-2009 03:05 PM

Here's an unexperienced but (usually) well behaved puppy dying to join the pack!

I've spent the last half year or so watching every current game (and reading up on a handful of older ones inbetween), so I hope I won't screw up too badly. As for deadline, everything between 13:00 and 21:00 GMT is fine with me, anything earlier would be difficult, but I'll try to manage.

McCaber 07-05-2009 04:11 PM

I will sign up with a question mark. My time just got a bit full, but I would love to play an old-school style storytelling game.

satansaloser2005 07-05-2009 04:37 PM

Sally reporting for comoddess duty, sir....erm, ma'am.

Nogrod 07-06-2009 01:46 AM

Sounds like fun! And I have always loved these "litterary-ones" - those few we've had. So count me in as well.

As for the deadlines; the nearer to 21GMT the better (and the farthest from 4AM GMT the better). That's what being European on vacation comes down to... :)

satansaloser2005 07-06-2009 09:16 AM

By the way, if this is the idea we discussed at school....heh, heh, heh.

Come one, come all, join the madness! :D

Mnemosyne 07-06-2009 09:59 AM

Hurrah! I shall ask for The Hostess to arrange for a flight to the slightly disturbing mansion from Finland.

And the other places as well, of course...

Editing names in in, like, a minute.

Inziladun 07-06-2009 10:09 AM

I just noticed that no Hunter position was listed above. I assume that's intentional?

Pitchwife 07-06-2009 11:11 AM

And what about a cobbler - or won't we know that in advance? And retractable or irretractable votes?

Mnemosyne 07-06-2009 12:24 PM

No hunter; no cobbler. As a "classic" game I thought it was important to pare down the roles to their most basic form, and I almost didn't even include a Ranger.

Votes are irretractable.

A maximum of two double-lynches will be permitted during the game.

Nogrod 07-06-2009 06:12 PM

I think we have had such a many experimental games lately that we tend to forget the basic set-up. So cobblers are an addition and have been just in a few games in here (more lately) - and some argue even the hunter is an additon, but I think most games have one. But it's nice to see a rather conservative line-up for a while.

Although I'm not so sure I like these "night kill" numbers being one or two per Night when the moddess so decides - or that there would be a limited (depending on what?) double-lynch-possibility...

Well, you're calling the trouble on yourself Mnemo... your choice. (Just see how Brinn was called after her decisions just on whether to modkill somene or not - and you're possibly digging yourself a much deeper grave here...:)).

I just suggest you make some rules that will be on for the whole game and make them clear (add the final version to the beginning of the game thread - well, some people will claim they didn't know even if they were there, but you at least had done your best to inform people - as soon as you get decided on them).

So either one kill / Night, or two kills / Night (up to a certain number of wolves around or something - or all the time, as soon as there is a rule we know why it was so). So not that you just decide whether there will be multiple kills or not on a Nightly basis - unless that's the twist you wish to bring in this time (but then I'm afraid many people will just not come near this game looking at how some reacted to the last one).

I'm easier with the double-lynches. If it's said we have two, then fine - meaning it's the first two and there will be no nitpicking over it aterwards eg. everybody knows and understands the rule. If it will be random when a double-lynch happens you may need to kiss goodbye to a number of players once more.

So make the terms clear. Then it's up to everyone to decide whether they want to join or not.

I'm in, anyway, whatever your rules will be... I'm just on vacation and want to see this one through. ;)

Mnemosyne 07-06-2009 06:39 PM

I might be convinced to let the variable kills drop (I am thinking it would only happen once in the game, and would either be "two kills" or "no kills"). The reason for including it in the first place is more of a character disposition of the Hostess (for storytelling purposes) than anything else. After last game's confusion I don't want to do anything that would make this game terribly stressful to the players, much less result in meltdowns, hurt feelings, or disrespect.

The reason I wanted to put double-lynches back in is because they were staples in the early games, and were only dropped because people realized that if the seer survives long enough to give a list of known innocents, the village can automatically win mathematically. Limiting the number of double-lynches should get rid of that possibility.

Actually, the Hunter and Ranger (originally Guardian) were introduced at the same time--as well as the Cursed Villager. This is why I mentioned that at one point I was seriously considering not including a Ranger either.

So the variable kills are up for discussion.

Also, more people need to sign up--hopefully ones who aren't burned out by the last game.

ETA: And yes, the first two double-lynches would be successful.

ETA II: After careful consideration, especially of the last game, I've decided to nix the variable kills. The first post will be edited accordingly, as well as include other rules that have been already discussed. Thanks, Nog.

Nogrod 07-06-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mnemosyne (Post 602900)
Also, more people need to sign up--hopefully ones who aren't burned out by the last game.

There may be another reason for a slow sign-up... and that is it being July...

I don't remember we've had a host of games on July - well someone can check that out - but I'm pretty comfortable with that feeling.

But I do hope people come forwards. 13 shouldn't be too much! (Well I know Lommy and Aganzir are on an Inter-Rail for three weeks at least cruising through Europe and Greenie will probably not take part either as she has a summer camp ahead of her soon).

Mnemosyne 07-06-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 602901)
There may be another reason for a slow sign-up... and that is it being July...

I don't remember we've had a host of games on July - well someone can check that out - but I'm pretty comfortable with that feeling.

I was thinking that, too. Well, if the thread has to be up for a while that'll give me more time to prepare insta-narrations, I suppose.

Sally has also promised to help on the PR front with recruiting, as she's got a lot more social interaction guts than I do.

Nogrod 07-06-2009 07:12 PM

Heh. Don't be afraid. It will turn out a game... and a good one!

It may just take some time to start at this point of the year.

But the better prepared you can then be... (sorry about this Yoda-language) :D

Feanor of the Peredhil 07-06-2009 07:29 PM

It would rock my world if this game didn't start until the 19th.

Since that's distinctly unlikely, I'll just register my sadness that I can't join in. This looks like my idea of an absolutely perfect game. Alas...

autume98 07-06-2009 07:39 PM

Hello,

I'm new here and I would like to join this game.

Thanks! :)

satansaloser2005 07-06-2009 07:46 PM

*points up*

See, my darling duckling? I told you I'd get more player(s).

:smokin:

Welcome, Tum. Nice to have you! *pokes* Fresh meat, precioussss....

Inziladun 07-06-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 602910)
Welcome, Tum. Nice to have you! *pokes* Fresh meat, precioussss....

I think it's really Nerwen incognito, or maybe Gaurcrist. :)
Anyway, welcome!

Mnemosyne 07-06-2009 09:31 PM

Fea, all I can say to that is "we'll see..." As long as it ends before August 2nd I can run it just fine. I'd love to have some old-timers on board as they were some of the ones I used to imagine having in the game.

And welcome to the 'Downs, autume98!

Remember, people, the sooner I get personal info the easier it will become for me to get some advance narrations done!

Eönwë 07-07-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 602897)
So either one kill / Night, or two kills / Night (up to a certain number of wolves around or something - or all the time, as soon as there is a rule we know why it was so). So not that you just decide whether there will be multiple kills or not on a Nightly basis - unless that's the twist you wish to bring in this time (but then I'm afraid many people will just not come near this game looking at how some reacted to the last one).

I'm easier with the double-lynches. If it's said we have two, then fine - meaning it's the first two and there will be no nitpicking over it aterwards eg. everybody knows and understands the rule. If it will be random when a double-lynch happens you may need to kiss goodbye to a number of players once more.

How? Couldn't we just decide (while playing) when to use our double lynches?
And couldn't the wolves just decide to use their double kill (as long is it isn't past a certain stage in the game)?

I may be able to play, so put me down with a question mark.

satansaloser2005 07-07-2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dun
Anyway, welcome!

You've got to be joking! It's obvious, isn't it? Phantom's ego finally got its own account. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve
How? Couldn't we just decide (while playing) when to use our double lynches?
And couldn't the wolves just decide to use their double kill (as long is it isn't past a certain stage in the game)?

I may be able to play, so put me down with a question mark.

On the plus side, at least most of this discussion is happening pre-game instead of wasting Day One time. Heh, right....

Oh, and a possible welcome aboard, dearie. :)

Nessa Telrunya 07-07-2009 05:05 AM

What if each team only got one double kill/lynch up to a certain time in the game? That is, because having smaller teams and suffering a double kill/lynch would make it almost unfair.

And welcome to the Downs Tum!!

Mnemosyne 07-07-2009 12:24 PM

There's no "each team" about it. Everyone in the village participates in the same lynch. So how the village decides to use its double lynches is up to the village.

And I've nixed the double kills, anyway. Much easier for wolves to decide on two people to kill because they know who they are.

Pitchwife 07-07-2009 12:44 PM

Besides, the chance for the village to catch two wolves in a double-lynch is rather slim anyway, isn't it?

autume98 07-07-2009 06:25 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to playing. :)

Nogrod 07-07-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 602977)
Besides, the chance for the village to catch two wolves in a double-lynch is rather slim anyway, isn't it?

That would be just super, but I'm afraid that has never happened.

There are I think two kinds of double-lynches: intentional and unintentional ones (denoting to the vague idea of "common consent" of the villagers).

The intentional double-lynches tend to be those where there is a commonly shared belief that someone is acting too weird / non-participatory to raise concern etc., but none would like to "waste" a lynch on them. So with a double-lynch people can both aim at a baddie and to remove a problem hoping to get at least one from two - or at least to get some information. Sadly the wolves surely love betting on this game...

The unintentional ones tend to be those where someone just goes on with her own idea being confident her candidate is the one to lynch and she brings in the crucial vote, or someone miscounts the votes at the last minute and produces a double - or a wolf who claims to have miscounted the votes and lynches two innocents... or whatever.

They can be good to clear out some suspicions, especially looking at the relations of the lynched one to some other suspects on the next Day when the roles are revealed, but it has it's downsides as well.

Welcome Tum! :)

Boromir88 07-08-2009 08:19 PM

Alright, I said Brinn's game would be the last for the summer, as I have tons of reading and prep to do for next semester, but can't hurt to sneak in one more.

As an advanced warning though, my activity will be pretty minimal (compared to my usual) and I will definitely have my roommate making sure I won't spend too much time here and will get to the work I need done by August.

Inziladun 07-08-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 603082)
Alright, I said Brinn's game would be the last for the summer, as I have tons of reading and prep to do for next semester, but can't hurt to sneak in one more.

As an advanced warning though, my activity will be pretty minimal (compared to my usual) and I will definitely have my roommate making sure I won't spend too much time here and will get to the work I need done by August.

Good deal, Boro! I wish just a few more would commit. I'm ready to start this thing. ;)

Lalaith 07-09-2009 11:23 AM

I am going to be less busy at work, and subsequently on holiday, so, for the first time in soooooooooo long, I'm in! :smokin:

satansaloser2005 07-09-2009 12:16 PM

Holy cow, Lalaith! Yay! :D

Mnemosyne 07-09-2009 12:25 PM

*muffled squee*

Nerwen 07-11-2009 04:51 AM

Count me in, as usual. It's no good trying to beat this addiction...

Nerwen 07-11-2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 602911)

Actually, I have a confession to make: Gaurcrist and I are one and the same anyway.;)

I was so disappointed that Wilwa didn't make "him" a gifted in WWLXI. That would have been the best cheat ever. *sigh*

Inziladun 07-11-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 603359)
Actually, I have a confession to make: Gaurcrist and I are one and the same anyway.;)

I was so disappointed that Wilwa didn't make "him" a gifted in WWLXI. That would have been the best cheat ever. *sigh*

Oddly enough, I haven't seen him around since that game. He and the phantom did a good job of deflecting attention from the real wolves and onto themselves. :D

Mnemosyne 07-11-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 603367)
Oddly enough, I haven't seen him around since that game. He and the phantom did a good job of deflecting attention from the real wolves and onto themselves. :D

That's generally the purpose of loudmouths.

Nerwen, you're on the list!

Rikae 07-11-2009 08:24 AM

I'd like to play.
So, I suppose part of not breaking character means not talking about previous games, how people usually behave, how wolves behave, etc? That will be difficult.

Nerwen 07-11-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

As many canonical Tolkienian deaths as you can think of
Sorry, I don't understand this bit.

satansaloser2005 07-11-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 603372)
Sorry, I don't understand this bit.

Basically try to remember how people died in Lord of the Rings and PM as many as you can think of (I'd give an example but....well, you know....I'm me and you know how accurate the movies are) to the moddess. Like a list of the interesting character demises in the books.

Or at least that's what I think she means. Feel free to correct me, oh duckess. :)

Hope that helps!