The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   A Memorial of Members (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4648)

Eruwen 11-28-2002 05:45 PM

A Memorial of Members

This seemed like the best place to put this topic.

Ever remember old Barrow-Downers who have left the site or...have been asked to leave the site? Do you miss them? Well, this is a memorial to those members. Here you can write a lament for those whom you miss, or just simply state that they are gone. It is just for memory of the members we have lost.

Yes, I know I have not been on here since the Downs was started. And this topic would have been much better to be started by a moderator or someone of that sort. But I just thought about it the other day. And I thought it would be an interesting topic to start.

I will start with the most recent member I just found out about a few moments ago---NazgulNumber10. Although leaving for such a {ahem} strange and unexpected reason, you have to admit, he was quite a laugh around the Downs. And we will miss him.

Is there someone anyone else has noticed gone for a good length of time? Tell about them here.

burrahobbit 11-28-2002 09:53 PM

I honestly don't have to admit that. I would have to dishonestly admit it.

Until recently I probably would have said Balin999 first, but I think I don't need to say that anymore. There are others, though. Saulotus, gamegie, quam, and on and on and on.

The Barrow-Wight 11-28-2002 09:58 PM

I miss galpsi

Lush 11-28-2002 10:06 PM

Glenethor, though I hear his departure from the Downs was a pretty frustrating event for everyone involved, will always be remembered by me as witty and kind. And the John Lennon avatar was pretty cool.

burrahobbit 11-28-2002 10:07 PM

Yes. I left a lot of people off of my list. Couldn't possibly name them all. (I'm bad with names.)

Mhoram 11-28-2002 10:07 PM

Bruce MacCulloch

Joy 11-28-2002 10:15 PM

I miss Steadfast Sam (gone before I joined though) and KayQ.

Hey, I even have to admit, I rather liked Gimli, Son of Gloin. I will miss that pesky Dwarf.

Glenthor too, though I was not around when everything happened, I was shocked to see him gone. The thing I remember most was his tracking of "how many times" he watched LotR - what was it, 35 times???

Sharkû 11-28-2002 10:21 PM

Taimar. Gilthalion.

[ November 28, 2002: Message edited by: Sharkû ]

The Barrow-Wight 11-28-2002 10:28 PM

Shame on me for missing those two! But I really keep thinking I'll see them again soon! Let's hope I'm right!

Joy 11-28-2002 11:23 PM

If I'd known that Gil had left us, I would have had him listed. I appreicated his presence on this board. I have even tried to emulate his writing style for my fan-fiction (not the same tyep of story, but in style).

He will be missed by many [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Neferchoirwen 11-29-2002 12:56 AM

I miss Glenethor, too...I think it was more than 35, Joy...or maybe I was exaggerating: it is quite a feat). I stopped coming to the Downs and came back after a few months not seeing him here, which made me miss him right away. Made me wonder (maybe I have to find out for myself...)

I have never really had a chance to have an exchange with Gil, but I have felt his touch in this place. He's a real talent (been to Tar-Ost the other night... glad to see it's still there)

NN10? Oh man, the guy looks like my brother when my bro was his age.

I think I remember seeing Bruce at the Middle-Age club. I think I made a remark that made me deserve his stick-out-your-tongue smiley. Something to do about being childish. I think that was his last post. If I was responsible for that, my apologies to all who miss him. I miss him as well.

But I'm glad to see some people come back (like Starbreeze).

~nef

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]

HerenIstarion 11-29-2002 05:27 AM

Saulotus, jallanite, Gilthalion, enep, Odisseus819, KayQ, Iulbahar and [many] others...

Their choice is repsected, though

Arwen Evenstar the Fair 11-29-2002 04:47 PM

NN10 and Gimli son of Gloin

Lindolirian 11-29-2002 04:58 PM

Anybody seen Mat Heathertoes? He and Bruce MacCulloch were great at quizzes and trivia... man theres one in Geography Grilling that I still haven't gotten. Its months old...

Dwarin Thunderhammer 11-29-2002 06:52 PM

Who can forget Ziffy (aka. Zifnab) He was great. red. Shieldmaiden.

Gilthalion 11-30-2002 08:35 AM

Y'all should trust your Barrow-Wight!

I have not been missed being here half as much as I should like to have missed being here! I've been in and out of the hospital, and will be back in again Monday. Perhaps a week thereafter, I will have time during recovery to visit for a spell.

Springhill Medical ain't Imladris, and Dr. Scott ain't Elrond, but my ailments should be healed by then.

Divertuculae necessitating a bowel resection. It could have been worse, but Providentially I was taken to the right emergency room on a day when only one hospital was doing surgeries down here in the South Farthing. Furthermore, my brother (a scrub tech) was on duty to make sure that I got the best surgeon. A day later or a different hospital or surgeon would have resulted in a colostomy! (Do not tell the young ones this story except in the bright morning sun, lest they faint from fear!)

I've been writing/directing/playing in church dramas. My hair is long again and I can play Jesus.

I've enjoyed the FOTR Extended DVD and cannot wait for THE TWO TOWERS.

I notice that a few more, by and by, have read THE HOBBITS down in the Fan Fiction Section. It would do my heart (if not my intestines) good to see a few more reviews when I get back!

Child of the 7th Age 11-30-2002 09:54 AM

Gilthalion,

Boy, it's good to hear from you. Even those of us who are "younger" posters and don't really know you in person are well aware of your 'legend', fanfic, and RPGs.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and hope you are feeling better. Rest up, and get back to the Downs.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

Mhoram 11-30-2002 10:45 AM

Gil: [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Mhoram ]

Dwarin Thunderhammer 11-30-2002 01:00 PM

Gil is back!!! Awesome!

Birdland 11-30-2002 01:09 PM

Gil! Best wishes towards a full recovery. I know spending the time at home recovering is not the fun-est thing in the world, but posting on the Downs might help to kill the time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Come back and start "Simian Shadow" up again!

Amanaduial the archer 11-30-2002 01:25 PM

yeah, same joy, I miss Gimli. In PMs he was quite sweet...

Galadrie1 11-30-2002 02:44 PM

I miss Laiedheliel. We used to PM each other about popsicles.

Amanaduial the archer 11-30-2002 02:49 PM

Rosa_Baggins. Never was there a hobbit so happy, hyper and apt at creating embarrasing nicknames....

I fear soon there will be more than a few more to put on here...discontent and discord is sown on boards telling of a certain sword...

Susan Delgado 11-30-2002 03:45 PM

Manelwen. I never met her other than through RPGs, but she was a good player.

Durelin 11-30-2002 03:54 PM

NN10, he helped me out. Sadness. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] So much sadness. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Gone for good. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I think I'm gonna cry now. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Yeah right! Still, I miss NN10. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Man, It's too depressing on this thread! I'm going somewhere else! How about Middle Earth Mayhem! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Never took me long to recover from sadness....I'm haaapppyyy! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Kalessin 11-30-2002 04:08 PM

Ah, I am glad to see Gilthalion is still here, we have argued wholeheartedly about much in an articulate, persistent and civilised way, which is something to be treasured [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

I went away for a longish while and have returned (no prodigal son allegory here), but haven't seen Maril for a while [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img], or Estel the Descender, both of whom I admire for their contributions here. I hope they are still around.

Peace [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Kalessin

Mhoram 11-30-2002 04:10 PM

I kinda miss old Turgon, never got to know him as well as I would have liked.

There a quite a few people that are still around, but aren't around near enough, Underhill, Lord Aragorn, Zifnab, and Gilthalion spring to mind.

Amanaduial the archer 12-01-2002 08:16 AM

Maika hasnt left for good has she? No!!!

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]

amyrlis 12-01-2002 02:31 PM

Glad that zifnab & enep have already been mentioned, I do miss them. I also wonder what happend to Rosa Underhill? She & zif were my two fellow Coloradans! Sad to see them not around.

Joy 12-01-2002 05:59 PM

Oh I forgot about Rosa Underhill - we used to get on yahoo and chat! I do miss her.

Glad to see you back Gil. I do understand your pain, brother. I will be praying for you.

Susan Delgado 12-01-2002 06:19 PM

I haven't seen Samwise or Starbreeze around in quite a while.

Tigerlily Gamgee 12-01-2002 08:02 PM

They still stop by every now and then, though not enough! I miss doing the old "riddles" thread. Who can forget "Starbreeze's Challenge"? That was a blast.
Alas, she has her own forum and hasn't much time to visit here I suppose.
Samwise, my fellow Gamgee, where hast thou gone. It's been a long time (or perhaps I am just dumb and have missed your posts).

Neferchoirwen 12-02-2002 12:50 AM

I thought I saw Samwise a few weeks ago, or was that last month?

But hey, I miss Samwise a lot, and it's good that Gil's okay [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Child of the 7th Age 12-02-2002 01:23 AM

I had a message from Samwise about 10 days ago after I sent her a pm, and I just ran into one of her posts dated November 23. So she still comes to visit, but not as frequently as before.

sharon

Cimmerian 12-02-2002 06:47 AM

Rosa Baggins The sweetest, most loveable person I found here. Irrespective of my state of mind, Rosa's posts always made me smile.

Gimli_son_of_Gloin He was exactly what he professed to be, a twelve year old... and he made us laugh!

Laidheliel Helped us keep the 'game' in Role playing game alive, like the rest of us youngsters.

Gayalondiel She inspired me to be a better person. Often putting up with my silly tantrums, and helping me get over things.

Celebmundoiel After a shaky start at RPGing, this brave girl worked hard to improve her skills and gave us one of the very best RPGs(Mir Ned Pan Ind) here, ever.

Manelwen The best RPGer we have had here, bar none. Her posts encouraged me to strive for the best I could be.

I miss them!

HerenIstarion 12-02-2002 07:00 AM

hya Gil, best wishes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eruwen 12-02-2002 09:20 PM

Ah, Samwise. Who can forget Samwise? But another I havn't seen in quite a while. One who, when I first came, really stuck out in my mind. I'm talking about Frodo Baggins. (The Frodo with his name spelled exactly: Frodo Baggins. There are many around here.) Yet I do not know if this member has just not posted in a while, or if he/she has left. But I havn't seen Frodo Baggins around much lately.

Aye, Samwise and Frodo Baggins both missing. What are we to do?

Kalimac 12-02-2002 11:24 PM

Samwise: I think she still comes on but it must be briefly, because I haven't seen her for a while. We used to PM a lot and then I got married, had to move, lost internet access for a good long while, and it never started up again. Sigh.

Rosa Underhill: She was a lot of fun, haven't seen her around in ages.

Glenethor: No idea what led to his leaving (if it was RPG related, I've never played an RPG in my life, so wouldn't know). He was always fun, though.

Nuranar: She had some good stuff, haven't seen her for quite a while though (I think Nuranar was a she, I'm pretty sure).

Maril, sort of: She appears but not often.

Tigerlily Gamgee 12-02-2002 11:54 PM

Dang that Frodo Baggins... always running off unannounced! I bet that confounded Samwise went with him (well, her, actually). Perhaps they are a little busy at Mount Doom. Last time I saw a post by them it was in the same topic. You just can't separate those two!

Gwaihir the Windlord 12-03-2002 02:16 AM

Galpsi would certainly be the one I miss most, if only because he was the first one I talked to when I came here. And Saul... I suspect may be deceased (courtesy Sept 11); if so he's gone for good.

Good to see Gilthal back though.

Heh, I've just had a thought... if this list had been posted a month earlier, who would have put me on it? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]