The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Barrow Downs Newspaper (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13002)

Galadriel55 06-09-2013 03:41 PM

I just love how every once in a while the newspaper actually somewhat mentions the Down's current events. :D Moreover in addition furethermore, I also love not current events too as well.

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-09-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 683994)
I just love how every once in a while the newspaper actually somewhat mentions the Down's current events. :D

You mean the one about Duckbill the Koopa suing Infamous Barrow Downs Newspaper Mogul? Yeah, I am also following that case with great interest...

Hookbill the Goomba 06-16-2013 04:03 PM

News and the world Newses with news!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2mrvbqd.png

And now the Phantom and Alien Noir

ENJOY!

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though...

Keeping up with the Phantom and Alien is sometimes hard.
Anyway, I've been thinking about going on a short hiatus soon, not sure when. But I feel I need to cool down and get a grip on this little project. I'm not enjoying it any more and I've felt it slipping away for a long time. It's useful in some ways as a writing exercise, practice and so on, but I feel like I've lost the drive I once had.
Maybe it's because it's summer time and everyone is busy, or maybe I'm just running out of ideas. Or maybe I ran out of ideas 350 issues ago...
Anyway, I've got sketches for the next two or three in my head and more P&A of course, but eventually I think I'm going to take a short break for a few weeks. Maybe go on holiday somewhere. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Oddwen 06-17-2013 07:32 PM

Dude, you've been doing this for us for seven years. You deserve a break (eating pudding with a spooooon).

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-18-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen (Post 684377)
Dude, you've been doing this for us for seven years. You deserve a break (eating pudding with a spooooon).

Or eating spoon with a pudding, for that matter.

Holiday is nice. Everyone needs it once in a while. Otherwise you'll end up like a dried fish, yess.

We'll be still here when you are back, so, no problem :)

Galadriel55 06-18-2013 02:49 PM

Oh no! I shant live without it! I shall commit suicide! I mean, rise from the dead! Erm...

Kidding aside, ditto Oddy and Legate. You deserve a break. As for what to eat and how to eat it, you know that you could be very fancy and make a meal of aluminum-stuffed crocodile in wood shavings... :Merisu::D

Hookbill the Goomba 06-23-2013 04:39 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/2n66b82.png

ENJOY!

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though...

There may or may not be a newspaper next week, not sure. Probably definitely a P&A, though.

Galadriel55 06-23-2013 04:51 PM

Again.

:D

Hookbill the Goomba 07-01-2013 12:06 PM

http://i43.tinypic.com/2vwtpas.png

ENJOY!

Sorry it's a bit late! We forgot about things and the P&A got delayed. But here it is for your eyes.

Galadriel55 07-02-2013 04:55 PM

I wanna win a box of dust! I want to get it for my birthday!

Hookbill the Goomba 07-08-2013 10:46 AM

No news on the lack of no news!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2u8xb0l.png

ENJOY!

Sorry it's a bit late! AGAIN!
Next week there will be no paper, nor the week after. Hopefully I'll be ready to get back into it come August. Until then, I hope you're all happy! Look at what you've driven me to! : Merisu:

Hookbill the Goomba 10-04-2013 10:43 AM

The Phantom and Alien will be back next week.

FOR THE FINAL TIME.

Galadriel55 10-04-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba (Post 686900)
The Phantom and Alien will be back next week.

FOR THE FINAL TIME.

:eek:

Blind Guardian 10-12-2014 01:22 AM

Bump for old awesomeness. Just went looking for Joel's website on The Phantom and Alien to show a friend and it's gone :(

Hookbill the Goomba 10-15-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Guardian (Post 694829)
Bump for old awesomeness. Just went looking for Joel's website on The Phantom and Alien to show a friend and it's gone :(

I have some plans in the works for some sort of revival. May take some time to put together, though.

Hookbill the Goomba 10-15-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Guardian (Post 694829)

There is a Facebook page that has all the old archives. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-P...=photos_albums

Morthoron 05-04-2015 03:40 PM

Dear Sir and/or Madam Editor:

It has been many months past since I've endeavored to issue complaints regarding anything. I dwelt on this strange, perturbing turn of events recently, and discovered that I had, in truth, absolutely nothing to complain about. Naturally, one can imagine my umbrage at having nothing which I might find grievance with or to hurl indignant protests against. It is, I assure you, an intolerable state of affairs!

Suddenly, it came to mind that it had been several months since I had read your disreputable rag The Downer, and that my current egregious state of lack of complaints was directly caused by the disruption of your atrocious paper!

Therefore, I demand that you continue publication of your dreadful, grammatically-impaired, pun-ridden pile of pusillanimous pulp posthaste so that I may continue complaining in a manner that befits my God-given right to express displeasure whenever, wherever and to whomever I so choose.

Thank you in advance for your prompt return to lunacy.

With regard,
Ms. Helena Handbasket
Cheshire-on-Crackers, Wiltsingtonthorpeshireset, Belchley

TheGreatElvenWarrior 05-04-2015 08:50 PM

Re: Ms. Helena Handbasket:

I applaud the trouble you went through to write to this newspaper. As a loyal reader myself, it grieves me to see that I too have nothing to complain about. Where has that mad old editor gone off to? Fiddlesticks and chips, I demand a resurgence of this newspaper so I have something to rip up to put in my cat litter boxes.

Sincerely,
Nobelia Ackville Gabbns

Blind Guardian 05-05-2015 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba (Post 694985)
I have some plans in the works for some sort of revival. May take some time to put together, though.

I would like to complain about a lack of revival. How dare they lie to us! I demand a protest!

Hookbill the Goomba 05-08-2015 12:32 PM

Searching under a rock, the people of the Barrow Downs simultaneously discovered this new edition of The Downer!

http://i59.tinypic.com/30uzkee.png

TheGreatElvenWarrior 05-08-2015 12:41 PM

I have been a reader of this paper since year two of its existence, and I am fully glad that it is back. Even if we don't get the Downer forever, I still celebrate its ability to make me laugh. Kudos, Hook. You have flashed me back to my teenage years in the most pleasant of ways with your groan-inducing humour. :)

Galadriel55 05-08-2015 07:45 PM

Dead good! ;) Oh how I missed this! :D

Rune Son of Bjarne 05-10-2015 02:47 PM

I think I need to up the budget for the Diet Crtics Department.

Hookbill the Goomba 06-21-2015 05:11 AM

I was interviewed by The Sci-Fi and Fantasy Network and I felt I had to mention this website and this newspaper. Take a look-see, people! :D

http://www.scififantasynetwork.com/a...nah-interview/

Forgive the blurriness of the image! I forgot to set the focus on my camera!

Oddwen 06-21-2015 09:08 AM

Actual news reporting in this thread?? This isn't what I paid for! :cool:

TheGreatElvenWarrior 04-18-2016 08:56 PM

I had a dream either last night or the night before that Hookbill had posted a new P and A on his facebook and had linked to another newspaper he wrote on this thread. I miss the glory days of the Downer sometimes. We had fun. :)

Pitchwife 04-20-2016 02:20 PM

Pitchwife likes the post above

Well, we have Hook's books now - can't expect to have our toast buttered on both sides, I suppose. Still, you're right, I sometimes miss all the glorious random silliness... Especially Fungoltch unt Shcmurkt! Funadalkn? Gimifril!

TheGreatElvenWarrior 04-20-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 704237)
Well, we have Hook's books now - can't expect to have our toast buttered on both sides, I suppose. Still, you're right, I sometimes miss all the glorious random silliness... Especially Fungoltch unt Shcmurkt! Funadalkn? Gimifril!

I have read The Sea-Stone Sword, but I haven't had the chance to buy his other books, but I've been an avid reader of his for years o'course! :D All the same, Fungotch unt Shcmurkt is probably my best memory of this thread's heyday.

Glorious random silliness is best served hot and buttered. ;)

Hookbill the Goomba 04-21-2016 02:15 AM

I've got ideas for doing something with the Phantom and Alien someday. Not sure what, exactly. A comic book of some sort, or maybe a children's book (heavily edited, obviously). Not sure. But one day...

Nerwen 04-23-2016 05:56 AM

Hey, why not?:cool:

TheGreatElvenWarrior 04-26-2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba (Post 704243)
I've got ideas for doing something with the Phantom and Alien someday. Not sure what, exactly. A comic book of some sort, or maybe a children's book (heavily edited, obviously). Not sure. But one day...

Huh. That's so funny. I was talking about your books with my mom a few weeks ago and she suggested the same thing. She said that because it's comics, you may be able to make some money off of it. ;)

Rune Son of Bjarne 07-16-2016 09:48 AM

What Hookbill does best

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 704265)
Huh. That's so funny. I was talking about your books with my mom a few weeks ago and she suggested the same thing. She said that because it's comics, you may be able to make some money off of it. ;)

Alternatively he will have to seduce a high ranking civilservant, so that he books may be found at every library across the land!

Hookbill the Goomba 07-21-2016 11:57 AM

Well, Phantom and Alien fans, there may be a future in store after all!

My publishers, Grimbold Books, asked me and my brother to make a comic strip for their Patreon page and so, naturally, I thought of The Phantom and Alien. Now, they wanted it to star their company mascots, two cats called Grim and Bold. But, to all intents and purposes, they will actually be The Phantom and Alien.

http://i66.tinypic.com/98c8lj.png

The episodes will go up for free for everyone beginning in September, but you can see them all first in August HERE if you're interest. :)

There's also been talk of a printed graphic novel style book of comics as soon as we've got enough!

I'll make sure to put in lots of Barrow Downs references, don't worry.

Galadriel55 07-21-2016 12:11 PM

Cool! That'll give me something to procrastinate with once school starts! :D

TheGreatElvenWarrior 08-01-2016 08:14 AM

Exciting news, Hook! I look forward to more P and A craziness. :D