The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Names, names (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5132)

The Evenstar 04-13-2003 05:55 AM

Names, names

Has anyone ever seen a house that is named after a place in Middle-earth? I've seen one called Lothlorien. Cool, huh? I think I will name my house Rivendell or something when I'm older.

Tinuviel the Nightingale 04-13-2003 06:59 AM

I must admit I don't remember seeing a LoTr related house name, but it would be really cool and just for the record, I'd call my house Lothlorien (try to imagine pretty elves walking around oohhh they are soooo pretty...)

Mornie Alantie 04-13-2003 07:18 AM

There was a post a long time ago with roads in Califonia that were named after LOTR. That would be cool to live on. But I would name my house somthing in Elvish and that had actual meaning. For Instance, if it was secluded I would call it Gondolin. If it was a luxurious place that many people meet in, then Imladris. If it was in a forest of big trees, then Lothlorien. By a river, Nagothrond. If I lived in a cave in the woods, Menogroth(can't see that happening).

Meela 04-13-2003 08:40 AM

I've never seen any houses named after Lotr, but I would name my house something like The Citadel or Merethrond. Or Meduseld. Or Henneth Annun. Or Caras Galadhon. Or Rath Dinen.

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 04-13-2003 09:34 AM

You could build a treehouse and name it Caras Galadhon. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I saw a pic somewhere with a sign that said 'Rivendell Apts.' I think it was in the 'Signs' section of Barrow-downs.

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 04-13-2003 05:16 PM

There's a section of my town called "Rivendell". I really need to get a job and buy a digital camera to take shots of the sign. Anyway, no houses that I've seen, but I'll most likely name mine something Gondor-related when I get one.

Eruanna 04-13-2003 06:45 PM

There is a house just around the corner from mine, which is named "Rivendell", little sign on the gatepost and everything. It has changed owners a few times over the last few years but no one has changed the name.

Arafangwen 04-13-2003 09:13 PM

If I had my own house I would name it something elvish so that when I say "I'm going to Lothlorien" (just an example) then people would be like what's that? A new coffee house or something? And I can be like no that's my house. I think it sounds like fun anyways [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Arafangwen ]

Eressië Ailin 04-13-2003 11:17 PM

This probably doesn't count, but I refer to my house as #3 Bagshot Row.

alaklondewen 04-13-2003 11:43 PM

This is isn't a house, but I went to a hippie commune once that was called 'Lothlorien', and they referred to themselves as 'Elves'.

hobbitlass 04-14-2003 01:26 AM

One day, when we have our dream house on some land, I will definitely name it something hobbit-ish. That's more my style. The elves are most beautiful but out of my league. I dont have any ideas exactly, but thats because I want it to also reflect what the land looks like.

Melephelwen 04-14-2003 08:32 AM

Once upon a time in Denmark (60's or so) there were a commune named Kløvedal (Rivendell). It was one of the first, and therefore well known. Now, many years later we still know the inhabitants as writers and explorers of the south and east; as you can see, they lived happily ever after. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, it's actually true, and the Rivendell name is not a coinsidence, they
were inspired by Tolkien. I wont bother you with the whole story, but the point is, that it was a place named after LotR [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: Melephelwen ]

Sillabub 04-14-2003 09:13 PM

this doesn't have much to do with the centre topic of houses and such, but has anyone noticed the thing with different name-generators making up different names? On this scholastic one, my hobbitish name is Gwaelonna Surefoot, but with the chris wetherell one I'm Lobelia gamgee-took of bywater...odd

The Evenstar 04-15-2003 11:32 AM

Hey!

Thanx for answering to my post! You're great, all of you! To answer you quetsion,Sillabub, it does happen! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It's happened to me when I generated my name. It is rather odd! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anything but Arwen 04-15-2003 11:40 AM

Well, theres one by me called Elvenbrook... but theres a Golf Resort somewhere called Rivendell.. I find that highly amusing..

VanimaEdhel 04-15-2003 05:49 PM

I drive on "Underhill Avenue" quite frequently, actually. And I always make some comment whenever we drive on it that makes my mom either crack up or give me a *look*

The Evenstar 04-16-2003 11:35 AM

Wow, it seems like there are more places named after Middle-earthen place than I imagined!
It's quite interesting.

Ainaserkewen 04-16-2003 02:55 PM

At a summer camp I once went to, the main lodge was called Rivendell. That was cool. Apperently the people who built the place liked Tolkien alot.

VanimaEdhel 04-16-2003 04:33 PM

There's a poem by Stephen Crane:

Black Riders Came From The Sea

It was in my English poem book, but I found it online. It's the first poem. It was originally in all caps, but I guess they thought that was too obnoxious.

Niluial 04-19-2003 08:53 AM

I once saw a house called the Two Towers. It was so cool. It kinda looked like the Two Towers!

Sword Maiden Of The Shire 04-19-2003 02:04 PM

My cottage is called 'The Hill' it even has an old sign that says it. The inside is like The Hill too and the outside landscape looks like The Shire.Exactly.

Luthien 04-20-2003 09:11 PM

My parents named our land middle earth years ago we have return address stamps and a sign that i need to get photographed and sent in. Our house looks shire-like and has extremely low ceilings. the land is a mixture of plains, forests, streams,and lakes. My first dog was named Baggins and mysteriously died in the same hour I first read the end of Lotr. Very gorgeous land.

The Evenstar 04-20-2003 10:32 PM

Hey Niluial!

A house named Two Towers would look cool! And it's also cool that it looks like them!

Everdawn 04-21-2003 12:52 AM

Thanks to the 'clever' town planners in Brisbane Australia (my city) There is a nice suburb which has streets names after places in Lord of the rings.. Rivendell ST Lorien ST. etc.

[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

Tarien Ithil 06-14-2003 01:02 AM

Hmmm.....I saw a "Bree" Street once and there's a little daycare centre that my little cousin goes to called Bilbo Baggins. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I think that's kinda sweet! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Everdawn 06-14-2003 02:01 AM

There is a place in Western Queensland called Buckland... i laughed for about an hour..

Lhunardawen 06-14-2003 04:29 AM

Good for all of you...
I haven't seen anything named something related to Middle Earth in here.. as if nobody's interested.. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

But when I grow up I'll name my house maybe
Menegroth or something... I'll even give my children Elven names!!! Lol.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Wish I could find a Middle Earth addict like me for a husband... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Feared Half-Elf 06-14-2003 02:01 PM

My friend used to go to a school called Faramir!

Novlamothien 06-14-2003 02:12 PM

While on vacation in new england I saw a business center called Mellon something or another.

Another place I saw a jewelery store named Galadriel's (Very appropriate, I think)

There's a neighborhood called the Barrow Downs nearby.

And we have a kiddy bookstore called Hobbit Hall. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

No houses, though.

Namarie

Luinalatawen 06-18-2003 08:32 PM

I was driving the other day and came across a Greenleaf Avenue. I was very excited. Some other streets weren't directly LotR-related, but were more or less word hallucinations on my part. I can't remember what they were though.

I remember one time I was just punching in random LotR characters, places, etc. into the address bar of my web browser to see if there were sites for them. www.laurelindorenan.com is a LotR site in Spanish. Go to www.lothlorien.com. It's not LotR-related at all! www.eowyn.com brings you to lordoftherings.net. www.treebeard.com has to do with the Middle Earth Collectible Card game. Let us know if you have found any more strange sites like www.lothlorien.com that clearly have nothing to do with LotR.

Cúdae 06-18-2003 08:42 PM

In the town where I go to school (not where I live), there are 6 graveyards all within easy walking distance of each other. People call that section of town the Barrow Downs. I didn't know this until about a month ago when I saw a sign and asked someone about it. (I am oblivious to place-names, hence the reason I get lost easily.) Very appropriate name for the area, if I do say so myself. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Meela 06-18-2003 08:42 PM

Orlando Bloom was once in Midsomer Murders, and in that episode I could have sworn there was a house called Lothlorien.

Everdawn 06-19-2003 01:30 AM

Alas! if only i could see that episode of MIdsummer murders again.. i remember the episode, but not orlando!...as it was plyed years ago

Alatariel Telemnar 06-19-2003 01:34 PM

There's a school called Riverdale or somthing like that near me, when someone first talked about it I could have sworn they said Rivendell...

Meela 06-19-2003 02:22 PM

I finished watching Midsomer Murders. They commented on the house name.

"Lothlorien! That's from Lord Of The Rings, isn't it?"

And the seargant is called Seargant Troy. I couldn't stop laughing at the prophetic value of the programme. They manage to get in the names of two of Orlando's future films.

Luinalatawen 06-19-2003 07:19 PM

I just saw the Greeneaf Ave. sign in the sign section of the site and that it was submitted by Tigerlily Gamgee. It must've been the same sign that I saw the other day! Cool.

Tarien Ithil 06-21-2003 10:24 AM

Quote:

just saw the Greeneaf Ave. sign
Wow, that's really cool! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Where did you see it??

Luinalatawen 06-21-2003 12:42 PM

Hmm... I'm bad at locations, I'm not sure where it was. But I can ask and find out in what town exactly. Tigerlily Gamgee probably knows...

Everdawn 06-21-2003 10:11 PM

OH MY GOD! It is a conspiracy!... but i want to live in a street called Princess Street, just becuase it sounds pretty... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Luinalatawen 06-21-2003 10:21 PM

Okay, Greenleaf Ave. is in Elk Grove Village, IL. It's a suburb of Chicago. Actually, it just happens that I was born in Elk Grove. Neat-o.