The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Middle-earth Feasting Greetings (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=19063)

Bęthberry 12-25-2016 09:40 PM

Middle-earth Feasting Greetings

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R.Tolkien

To my Downer friends who aren't on Facebook, I hope you are enjoying a merrier world for the holiday season, however you celebrate the season.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/551268810615898348/

Morthoron 12-26-2016 02:51 PM

Happy holidays, Mistress Berry. I wish you and your family all the Bęthst. :D

Kuruharan 12-26-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 706105)
I wish you and your family all the Bęthst. :D

I had to log in just to go :rolleyes:

:p

Bęthberry 12-27-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 706105)
Happy holidays, Mistress Berry. I wish you and your family all the Bęthst. :D

Thank you, Morth. For the greetings and the laugh. :D

Mister Underhill 12-30-2016 03:09 PM

Well, Bb, I know you on FB, but I'm happy to see you here on these mist-shrouded Downs and offer you a second holiday greetings anyway. I've been feeling nostalgic about the BD and toured through several old classics a few days ago. It's nice to see a few long-timers still hanging about!

Galadriel55 12-31-2016 10:28 AM

Happy New Year!

As the unofficial family gift wrapper, I am beginning to wonder why we need this many presents. But hey, happy new year!

Nerwen 12-31-2016 07:41 PM

Happy New Year! I spent mine star-gazing- quite Tolkienesque, don't you think?:smokin:

Inziladun 12-31-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 706123)
Happy New Year! I spent mine star-gazing- quite Tolkienesque, don't you think?:smokin:

One would expect nothing less from your namesake. ;)

Alas, it's not only cloudy here, but a cold drizzle is falling. Still, Happy New Year!

Bęthberry 12-31-2016 11:57 PM

Happy Hogmanay, Downers!

At least that to me sounds a bit more Middle-earthish. Plus those Scots I'm sure could have kept up with the hobbits's taste for brew.:D

Pitchwife 01-01-2017 07:59 AM

Happy New Year everybody, however you choose to call it! In our nook of the woods it started with frost and some half-assed snowing, which is the first attempt at something resembling a proper winter I've seen so far, so I'd say it looks promising, at least in the weather department.

Encaitare 01-02-2017 12:16 AM

Happy New Year, everyone! Here's hoping for at least one grand moot in 2017!

Faramir Jones 01-02-2017 06:37 AM

Thanks, Bęthberry!

Thanks for starting this lovely thread, Bęthberry! To you and all here, I hope you've been having a good Christmas, and wish you all a Happy New Year! :D

Encaitare, in terms of 'one grand moot' in 2017, there's Oxonmoot 2017.

At Christmas, I take out and read The Father Christmas Letters, as well as listen to 2 CDs of them being read by Derek Jacobi. Two passages came to mind this Christmas, the second which was new. The first, in Father Christmas's letter of 24th December 1935, was when he said, 'Christmas seems to come round pretty soon again: always much the same and always different'. The second, in his letter of 22nd December 1941, said, 'But at present so terribly many people have lost their homes: or have left them; half the world seems in the wrong place'. This was obviously a reference to the effects of the Second World War; but when I read that, I thought of what was happening in Syria. :(

Mithalwen 01-02-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 706122)
Happy New Year!

As the unofficial family gift wrapper, I am beginning to wonder why we need this many presents. But hey, happy new year!

Snap. I did two lots besides my own. I did a friend who has twins and hand problems, then my own (and foolishly I had the bright idea that it would look nice to wrap all items separately in coordinating paper, tie together with contrasting ribbon and decorate with bows and mini tree decorations - Kirsty Allsopp has a lot to answer for), and was barely finished by Midnight Mass. Then on Christmas morning I had to do most of my Aunt's (whose house I was staying in) as my Uncle is sadly afflicted by dementia and kept distracting her (he also used to be chief wrapper in better days). Anyway the feasting would have satisfied the greediest Hobbit.

Pitchwife 01-03-2017 03:11 PM

(since I can't find the proper thread, and this is as good as any*

The Professor! Happy twelfty-fifth birthday!