The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What would have happened..........Moria (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3233)

Adamathamariel 03-11-2003 08:36 AM

What would have happened..........Moria

I was reading the book a few days ago, and I came to the conclusion that Gandalf the White was more powerful than Gandalf the Grey, which got me thinking. If the Fellowship didn't go through Moria, and took the Gap of Rohan instead or so, what would the rest of the story be like?

--------------------------------------------

"Help me Master, I'm drownded," ~ Samwise

Inderjit Sanghera 03-11-2003 08:47 AM

It would've been a very different book, that's for sure. I doubt whether they would've succeded. Shouldn't 'What if' questions be in Novices and Newcomers?

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

Estelyn Telcontar 03-11-2003 09:26 AM

Yes, as a rule, opinion topics are placed on the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue this discussion there.

hobbit punk 03-11-2003 09:45 AM

One of the most interesting aspects of LOTR is Gandalf's intuition. I don't know if you have finished reading the books yet but if you have then you know what I am talking about. This then makes you wonder if Gandalf knew in some sense that he would fall in Moria and then be reborn more powerful then before. This power of course giving him the edge over Sauruman. It is a very interesting thing to ponder.

The Saucepan Man 03-11-2003 12:46 PM

Quote:

This then makes you wonder if Gandalf knew in some sense that he would fall in Moria and then be reborn more powerful then before. This power of course giving him the edge over Sauruman.
Well, he was pretty determined not to go through Moria if he could possibly avoid it. And there is a suggestion that he had some sense that he would meet a great challenge there. But I'm not sure that he had any idea that, if he did fall, he might be allowed to come back, let alone come back with increased power. No, I'm pretty sure that, had there been any option to by-pass Moria, Gandalf would have taken it. But then, the outcome might have been very different indeed ... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Sleeping Beauty 03-11-2003 01:43 PM

Could you imagine either way? If they had not taken the way through Moria, and had made for the Gap of Rohan, Frodo would have ended up around more and more men, so either by Boromir's hand or someone else's the ring would have been tried to been taken. And the consequences of that would be devastating.
If Gandalf had already been Gandalf the white, *shudder* then there would have been hardly an adventure at all. Gandalf would have simply led Frodo to Mount Doom, and that would have been the end of it. No Gollum really, because Gollum didn't really begin to appear till it was close to Gandalf's fall. But it all would be a new interesting story indeed. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Lathriel 03-11-2003 10:10 PM

What if the fellowship was caught by a company of Saruman's orks. They could easily be caught in the gap of Rohan because the land is very flat.