The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   London BD (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4512)

LePetitChoux 01-28-2003 01:31 PM

London BD

Since there seems to be an East-Coast BD meet-up in arrangement, why not have a London/England one? I'd CERTAINLY come. If it was in London. And my Madre let me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: LePetitChoux ]

eleanor_niphredil 01-28-2003 01:37 PM

Yeah. There seems to be several meet-ups in America, but none in England. But whether I could come or not would depend on when it was, as I live in the north of England.

Good idea all the same. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Rimbaud 01-28-2003 01:47 PM

I could come to this one also. Set it in May or afterwards. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

dragoneyes 01-28-2003 02:58 PM

If I could bend my dad around to my way of thinking, then maybe!

Amanaduial the archer 01-28-2003 03:24 PM

Hmmm, depending where it was and if I could persuade my mum it wasnt really me meeting up with people I have no real idea about...

I live in the North West of England- Greater Manchester- so Im afraid London is a little out of bounds. Unless I oculd persuade my dad to let me use his house, which is never going to happen. For a few years anyway.

LePetitChoux 01-28-2003 03:50 PM

I probably couldn't do anything BUT London. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Birdland 01-28-2003 11:25 PM

Quote:

I could come to this one also. Set it in May or afterwards. - Rimbaud
Does that mean you can't come to the East Coast BD if it is held in summer, Rimbaud? No way!

Inderjit Sanghera 01-29-2003 08:41 AM

I live 200 hundred odd miles from London, but who cares? Though I've been to London hundreds of times, since I have a lot of relatives there.

Rimbaud 01-29-2003 08:44 AM

Something like that, Birdie dear. Although I do flit across the ocean periodically, so you never know. I advise the Philadelphia one to be in the last week of April and the London one in the first week of May. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Then you shall be bowled over by a double helping of London-style French Radicalism. Even if Birdie's statuesque puns prove beyond me.

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 01-29-2003 11:15 AM

London's about half an hour by train from me. I'd be interested.

Edit: it's nice to see that the British contingent isn't asleep. I know that there are more of us, though. Where are you all?

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Squatter of Amon Rudh ]

*Varda* 01-29-2003 11:40 AM

Hm, well unless there's a BD thing in Scotland anytime (which I doubt, due to the lack of Scottish downers) I can't make it. London is just a wee bit too far. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

eleanor_niphredil 01-29-2003 11:55 AM

Actualy, I have more chance of going if it was in Scotland, especialy if it was near Glasgow. I live in Greater Manchester to, but I go to Glasgow frequently.

Amanaduial the archer 01-29-2003 12:42 PM

Yay! Another Mancunian! I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Elanor 01-29-2003 01:04 PM

Manchester would be great for me too, I'm not that far away. I could manage London too. It would definitely be nice to meet some people who don't think I'm a freak for reading Tolkien....

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Elanor ]

arelendil 01-30-2003 09:54 AM

i only live about hour away by train so i could go to London, most definately! but that gets us no nearer to anything except to say that you can't leave me un-notified. i'll keep an eye on this thread!

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]

eleanor_niphredil 01-31-2003 01:13 AM

Whats to stop us having more than one, in different places?

Eärendil 01-31-2003 03:31 AM

Are there any Tolkienistas from Canterbury (or near to) on here? Then maybe we could work something out about a meeting in Canterbury. Just a thought, as I will be quite near Canterbury in the Easter break. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Rimbaud 01-31-2003 10:31 AM

Just struck by the similar conversations and discussion of places here and those threads regarding the US Meetings. Two hundred miles feels like a long way, doesn't it? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] We really do have a skewed perspective on distance. Or, perhaps more pertinently, they do. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
______

This is a Kermit-less post.

*Varda* 01-31-2003 12:36 PM

It's not the distance that's the issue, just the age. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] 16 or not, I can't just go running off down to England when I have exams and stuff. Oh well, can always dream.

the real findorfin 01-31-2003 12:48 PM

Tell me where and when, and me and Donlammenion will be there! yeh, yeh, yeh. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ElentariGreenleaf 01-31-2003 02:44 PM

hay, if dragon's dad took her I could go with them! Hehehehe... MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Amanaduial the archer 01-31-2003 03:02 PM

I didnt realise you knew dragon in real life.
There is no way in eternity that my parents are actually ever going to let me, unless it was in a public place like the Trafford Centre or something and then I wouldnt be actually going to party with people I dont know of the web...

LePetitChoux 01-31-2003 04:08 PM

That would affect most of us, because most of us here are under 18, I presume. Oh dear. Well, the parents could come too, provided they were not completely against LotR... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

ElentariGreenleaf 01-31-2003 04:31 PM

My mum loves Lotr, but she would kill me if she knew is was on this forum. Stupid not being allowed on forums or chat.... I'm 14 for crying out loud!

Yes, me and dragon know each other in real life. We're best friends! In fact, I walked 2 miles to hers this morning (in the snow) WOOO! NO SCHOOL! (well, it's actually 22:25 here now, but oh well!)

~Elentari I the insane (or indigestable)

eleanor_niphredil 02-01-2003 03:55 AM

a meeting with parents? I suppose there is no other option for us, um, younger members. The Trafford centre is a good idea, but the thought of dragging by dad there is not worth thinking about. Still, for his eldest daughtor, in place of pocket money. I am thirteen, but though I look twelve, I have always been in a class full of people a year older than me, so i am really fourteen.

Will the dream ever happen?

eleanor_niphredil 02-01-2003 04:02 AM

What would we actualy do when we got there? Ists all very well chatting on a forum, but in real life, what would happen?

What we should do is hire a room of some sorts and have a showing of the DVDs. No need to talk if you dont really want to.

the real findorfin 02-04-2003 09:06 AM

What would be great if we had a day of Lotr, showing all three from 9-9 but that would be crazy. We'd need some kind of 'getting to know each other' activity. Perhaps going out somewhere or having a party maybe, but how old is everyone (not old enough to drink I guess, I'm not either...but I do). Any suggestions.

Carrying on with my crazy idea, if we came down one day, slept, had a day of lotr, slept went home, with get together things in between....stupid???

eleanor_niphredil 02-04-2003 11:18 AM

not stupid, would it would be hell to arrange, not to mention expensive, unless we could stay with each other.

Just for the record, who would want to come, but is under, say, 16?

the real findorfin 02-04-2003 12:49 PM

well, im over that. Surely many could stay with relatives and others might be able to get cheap places, like travel inns or something? I don't know, is that any good.

I'd invite you all to my aunty's but I don't think she'd like that! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: This was a joke! Not something dodgy!

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]

Arien 02-04-2003 12:51 PM

Ive just seen this thread, so people do live in England....wow and heres me thinking Im the only one.....

For the record...I would love to come, but there is one downfall...I'm 14 and there is no way on Middle Earth my parents would let me go.....well I could persuade them...

Amanaduial the archer 02-04-2003 12:53 PM

Quote:

Stupid not being allowed on forums or chat.... I'm 14 for crying out loud!
Know the feeling hun!

Jeez, how many year 9s are there here?! I count about 5 so far...

Going to one of your houses is a pretty much complete no no. Someplace public is really my only option, and Elentaris it seems. Then, even if parents were there, we could say we just happened to meet each other, friends friends or something...

Oh man, I am so dishonest.

the real findorfin 02-04-2003 12:59 PM

We would need to hire a conference room type of place, because we would need something to play the movies on, either an actual cinema or some kind of projection system. I really don't know much about this. If we had a central base kinda place, where we all stayed, it would be cool. We could go shopping (don't I sound such a girl...no offence meant) and have a party or something in this place.

arelendil 02-04-2003 01:01 PM

well i'm coming no question and Gothlothlammiel probably as well. i'm under well 15. 16 in May! damn GCSEs ruin my B'day!!

As for dishonest thats not true just bending!

Amanaduial the archer 02-04-2003 01:01 PM

Maybe the new Lowry then? You can book a private cinema there, and the designer outlets beside it (hmm, I wouldnt have thought guys would be into that...Fin... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ). That would come back to the expense thing though; it is kinda expensive.

Arien 02-04-2003 01:02 PM

Oh year 9 how I wish I was there .....stupid year 10...Amanaduial the archer .....enjoy it while it lasts......Oh god I sound like my parents!!......

Amanaduial the archer 02-04-2003 01:05 PM

lol Arien!

Yes, arelendil, never lying....always just bending...

the real findorfin 02-04-2003 01:09 PM

new lowry????

Yeh I like shopping, weird eh [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

We really need to find some costs. the only rpice I know off the top of my head is that a travel inn room costs about £44, and thats for any size room. Surely mates could share, I'd share with Donlammenion if I had to. But we might not wanna do that.

I'll be back later, keep talking.

Amanaduial the archer 02-04-2003 01:11 PM

The Lowry, in Salford. The big purple and orange thing by the river

LePetitChoux 02-04-2003 02:43 PM

I'm Year9! Count me! Count me!
So I take it Mnchester is a definite yes then... Oh dear...that will take a LOT of manipulative behaviour...better get started.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Well, as most of us are in school, the curriculum is the same, so we would be able to find a time during the holidays to meet up...I think. Though I can't do Easter break.

Hey, we could all revise for SATs together! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
*mutters*stupid private school doesn't have to do SATs but wants to for stupid ratings in the stupid papers and overloads innocent girls...

I'll shut up now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

eleanor_niphredil 02-04-2003 02:49 PM

Wouldnt the summer holidays be best? its a bit long to wait, but chances are we are all free at the same time.

Of course, that will mean that only one DVD will be out...

Another year 9 here, who is VERY please with her mock SAT results [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]